Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How effective is active noise cancelling in a car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... or just make the cars quieter! My Sonata is -far- quieter than my 2018 MX 100D. There have been
many posts about tire selection ... and almost all of them are really "what is the quietest tire?" and
very few about much else. Similarly, lots of posts about the "thumps" when going over uneven
road surfaces - why not just make it possible to set the suspension up to absorb those bumps
-and- to be super good handling ... when you tell the car "I want to play today"?

My point is that if you make the car quieter (inside) you make everyone happier. Yes, I get it that
part of the reason why road noise is so important in my MX is because there is no engine noise.
- Jim in Burlington

... or just make the cars quieter! My Sonata is -far- quieter than my 2018 MX 100D. There have been
many posts about tire selection ... and almost all of them are really "what is the quietest tire?" and
very few about much else. Similarly, lots of posts about the "thumps" when going over uneven
road surfaces - why not just make it possible to set the suspension up to absorb those bumps
-and- to be super good handling ... when you tell the car "I want to play today"?

My point is that if you make the car quieter (inside) you make everyone happier. Yes, I get it that
part of the reason why road noise is so important in my MX is because there is no engine noise.
- Jim in Burlington
Tesla prioritizes performance quite a bit. That means stickier and noisier tires, firmer suspensions for better handling and acceleration, and less weight for more range. So not having the 70+ kg of sound deadening found in an S-class Mercedes.

With that said the Raven models 2019?/2020 have adaptive suspension dampening. Tesla stated ...
  • We’ve also upgraded our air suspension system for Model S and Model X with fully adaptive damping, giving it an ultra-cushioned feel when cruising on the highway or using Autopilot, and a responsive, exhilarating confidence during dynamic driving.

Last edited:
What is the Bose auto system called? I keep seeing people talk about Bose doing noise cancellation (and I don't think anything other than ANC should be called "cancellation"), but the only Bose system I am familiar with is AudioPilot which simply increases the volume based on speed and/or cabin noise (this is NOT ANC).

Sound deadening insulation and foam in body cavities are nice features, but again, they are NOT ANC.

I hope you get the Model S implementation in spite of the Monroney label. FWIW, the ANC in a 2005 Acura RL was amazing, you might hear something for a brief moment as you went from one road surface type to another, but that was about it, the thing was quieter than my living room, even in the back seats.
This is the Bose system:
here is a capsule history of the subject:
The first production ANC product was from Bose:
I bought two pairs of that first product, powered by off-the-shelf battery cells, which required replacement every ten hours or so. They changed my life, suddenly I could hear and communicate in my exceedingly noisy piston airplane.

There are three major suppliers of automotive systems. Bose had the first mover advantage in the technology but they are just another supplier now.

Do the 2022s that have shipped so far have it? The first new Model S's Plaids did not.

I hope they do have ANC. However, It is no longer listed on my Order page as a feature.
Our new 2022 Model S that we took delivery of on 12/27/21 already had 2022.44.6 and showed ARNR enabled on our drive home. We tested it out but heard no difference but maybe that was because we weren't playing any music. We will try it again with the volume up and music playing to see if we can notice anything but you'd think it would work without any music playing.

Our new 2022 Model S that we took delivery of on 12/27/21 already had 2022.44.6 and showed ARNR enabled on our drive home. We tested it out but heard no difference but maybe that was because we weren't playing any music. We will try it again with the volume up and music playing to see if we can notice anything but you'd think it would work without any music playing.
Is the hardware there? I thought the issue was the lack of hardware, ANC processors, mics, and/or speakers. Just like some of the USB ports that were missing on the Model Y.

And I would expect it to work regardless of whether music is playing. All of the demos of in-car ANC on youtube show and measure the effect without music playing. I almost never play music when driving. Also, ANC headphones and airplane systems work without music. I wear my ANC headphones when I am using a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner and it makes a huge difference.

Is the hardware there? I thought the issue was the lack of hardware, ANC processors, mics, and/or speakers. Just like some of the USB ports that were missing on the Model Y.

And I would expect it to work regardless of whether music is playing. All of the demos of in-car ANC on youtube show and measure the effect without music playing. I almost never play music when driving. Also, ANC headphones and airplane systems work without music. I wear my ANC headphones when I am using a leaf blower or vacuum cleaner and it makes a huge difference.
Good point. We'll have to check and see if the hardware is still there.

My 10/2020 XLR++ was made pretty tolerable by a local rust/soundproofing company by applying some heavy foam inside the wheel arches/some other spots in there + trunk + adding extra door sealing + heavy trunk/frunk mats. I can finally live with this now.

The Electric Moose guy created a fairly impressive visual of the SPL profiles with and without ANC here:

there is a reddit thread about it, but the discussion so far does not add much
http:// reddit .com /r/teslamotors/comments/rqubmy/active_road_noise_reduction_testing/

The video is short and sweet but if you still don't want to click it, here is the text based summary included in the video:

Observations:
  • Typical noise reduction of ~3 dB
  • Sweet spot around 50 mph before wind noise picks up
  • Biggest impact seems to be below 125 Hz
Subjective observation mirrors the data, especially noticeable on rougher roads

Reactions: DelPhonic1
An updated manual for the new Model X is out, Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

In it are an interesting set of statements about the limitations of the front seat only ANC in "Opening and Closing | Interior Storage and Electronics" section.

Note
To ensure active noise reduction operates effectively, avoid covering the microphones (with seat covers, etc.). Active Road Noise Reduction may disable if a window is rolled down, door is open, or the fan is turned up. Active Road Noise Reduction also disables if there is a rear passenger in the vehicle

The last one is a bit surprising. Do they not want parents to be able to ignore their kids when they beg for food, bathroom break, or yell "she/he touched me!!".

See my post above. Did you have anyone in the rear seat?