Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far are you willing to keep your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.. I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance that come standard with 20in wheels...I had taking purchase of my car December 22nd 2018 and I'm at the point that I'm running out of patience due to the fact that I have had 4 blowouts already with the car.... it's bad enough that Tesla doesn't cover or offer road hazard warranty coverage to the tires or rims and that I have to come out of pocket of to pay for these damages and I'm at the point where I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to give up my Tesla to finally have a car that I can actually depend and rely on without any worries or concern of driving it anywhere, especially knowing that I have three kids...it's a damn shame it took me 4 years of hard work and sweat to finally have a decent amount for a down payment on my dream car and I can't enjoy driving it... do you know how frustrating that is .... give me some advice guys I'm at the breaking point and I really don't want to get rid of my Tesla... I love the car I don't have any issues other than the rims and tires... I am considering to downgrade to 18in wheeks, but then again I just might be in the same scenario...please help!!!

I investigated putting even smaller wheels than 18” on my 3 because I know the more rubber the better the ride and the less issue with blowouts and bent rims. I think it’s silly to go with all these low profile tires when one actually plans on driving the car. On Trailer Queens - ok. But on using cars, ummm, no. Not on today’s roads.

So my answer is put some real tires on the thing and go 18” wheels.

P.S. Sorry to hear you’ve had such a string of bad luck. That sucks. I’ve got 26k on 18s and not one issue.

Sounds like a frustrating situation, but luckily the solution is simple, new 18-19" rims.
The 20" are soft and even just a harsh transition or pothole at 35 can bend them. 18" are doable, and would be quite a bit more durable 19" are a good sweet spot IMO.

For now, go to Americas tire/discount tire and buy the road hazard warranty on the new 20" tires, or buy new 18-19" rims and tires immediately. I hope you get to enjoy the drive soon!

Hello everyone.. I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance that come standard with 20in wheels...I had taking purchase of my car December 22nd 2018 and I'm at the point that I'm running out of patience due to the fact that I have had 4 blowouts already with the car.... it's bad enough that Tesla doesn't cover or offer road hazard warranty coverage to the tires or rims and that I have to come out of pocket of to pay for these damages and I'm at the point where I'm so frustrated that I'm willing to give up my Tesla to finally have a car that I can actually depend and rely on without any worries or concern of driving it anywhere, especially knowing that I have three kids...it's a damn shame it took me 4 years of hard work and sweat to finally have a decent amount for a down payment on my dream car and I can't enjoy driving it... do you know how frustrating that is .... give me some advice guys I'm at the breaking point and I really don't want to get rid of my Tesla... I love the car I don't have any issues other than the rims and tires... I am considering to downgrade to 18in wheeks, but then again I just might be in the same scenario...please help!!!

Was in a similar boat. Had a vibration, Tesla told me all 4 rims bent at about 6.5k miles. My independent shop verified that. I was swapping to winters. I went with 19s, probably should have done 18, but the ride is much better and have seen better results. The 20s are just much too weak for a car this weight. I understand the frustration, and wish Tesla offered smaller rims from the factory on the P+, but I think smaller rims are worth it for you

I carry a full size 5th wheel and tire in the trunk because of this.... Miss my cargo space :(

I investigated putting even smaller wheels than 18” on my 3 because I know the more rubber the better the ride and the less issue with blowouts and bent rims. I think it’s silly to go with all these low profile tires when one actually plans on driving the car. On Trailer Queens - ok. But on using cars, ummm, no. Not on today’s roads.

So my answer is put some real tires on the thing and go 18” wheels.

P.S. Sorry to hear you’ve had such a string of bad luck. That sucks. I’ve got 26k on 18s and not one issue.

Thanks for the advice... I'm thinking of going with 235/50/18 cs......the recommended tire size of 235/45/18?

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Sounds like a frustrating situation, but luckily the solution is simple, new 18-19" rims.
The 20" are soft and even just a harsh transition or pothole at 35 can bend them. 18" are doable, and would be quite a bit more durable 19" are a good sweet spot IMO.

For now, go to Americas tire/discount tire and buy the road hazard warranty on the new 20" tires, or buy new 18-19" rims and tires immediately. I hope you get to enjoy the drive soon!

Thanks.. one of my friends had mentioned to me to go to ETD Discount Tires which they offer road hazard to existing tires, even tho you didn't purchase through them since the car is fairly new they will honor your tires from the dealer, which are about $45 to $50 per tire for road hazard versus having to pay $350 for a new tire.. totally makes sense to me but rims they will not cover

Was in a similar boat. Had a vibration, Tesla told me all 4 rims bent at about 6.5k miles. My independent shop verified that. I was swapping to winters. I went with 19s, probably should have done 18, but the ride is much better and have seen better results. The 20s are just much too weak for a car this weight. I understand the frustration, and wish Tesla offered smaller rims from the factory on the P+, but I think smaller rims are worth it for you

I carry a full size 5th wheel and tire in the trunk because of this.... Miss my cargo space :(

I totally understand where you coming from.. I don't understand why Telsa just wouldn't put a spare tire and hardware in the trunk because regardless you're going to need that either way so whatever they're saying about extra trunk space, it's really pointless so might as well just put the spare tire as standard packaging..smh

I'm thinking of going with these wheels for my M3P....lightweight and cheap...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190221-205325_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190221-205325_Samsung Internet.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 183
I totally understand where you coming from.. I don't understand why Telsa just wouldn't put a spare tire and hardware in the trunk because regardless you're going to need that either way so whatever they're saying about extra trunk space, it's really pointless so might as well just put the spare tire as standard packaging..smh

I just wish they could have packaged it into the frunk, even a donut. I am thinking of putting it on the roof as it takes up so much space.

But what a fun car though :)

Reactions: Halloween81
Reactions: Dre78
Also did you guys have to replace your TPMS sensor or did you use the original one from Tesla the only concern that I have is that are those sensors design for 20 in pressure tires or are they Universal and can work with any type of rim and the computer will recognize the pressure proper for the tires or do I have to get it updated or rebooted???

Also did you guys have to replace your TPMS sensor or did you use the original one from Tesla the only concern that I have is that are those sensors design for 20 in pressure tires or are they Universal and can work with any type of rim and the computer will recognize the pressure proper for the tires or do I have to get it updated or rebooted???

I replaced sensors because I have two sets. I think, and this is a guess, that you are fine using OEM.

Here is a pic with the wheels (pardon how dirty)
20190120_133150.jpg