Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How far will Tesla go to fix alignment issues (doors, chrome trim, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had alignment issues with the headlights and various panels. Their response was "they are within specification". I asked to see the specifications which they were never were able to provide. They fixed most of the misalignments. The first time I hand washed the car I found additional misalignments. I am taking the car in for service this week and I am having them look at the misalignments.

I am part of The Space Coast Electric Vehicle Drivers club. We frequently show our cars at events to promote the use of electric vehicles. The Model X is a big draw at these events as very few people have ever seen a Model X. Over the last several months I have had over a 1,000 people look at the car. Not one has noticed any of the misaligned panels.

I had alignment issues with the headlights and various panels. Their response was "they are within specification". I asked to see the specifications which they were never were able to provide. They fixed most of the misalignments. The first time I hand washed the car I found additional misalignments. I am taking the car in for service this week and I am having them look at the misalignments.

I am part of The Space Coast Electric Vehicle Drivers club. We frequently show our cars at events to promote the use of electric vehicles. The Model X is a big draw at these events as very few people have ever seen a Model X. Over the last several months I have had over a 1,000 people look at the car. Not one has noticed any of the misaligned panels.

I just wanted to add that since owning a Model X with misalignments, I have been eagle eyed when it comes to other cars. Today I was watching a video (MotorTrend Head 2 Head) between a Model X and a Bentley Bentayga, and the Bentley had some misaligned chrome!! Or a misaligned door? So I feel a little better now. That Bentley is $275k as tested too.

upload_2016-5-25_16-2-47.png

Check it out!

Here is the link to the video if anyone is curious about it.

This is true until someone who also owns a Model X with alignment issues will purposely looking for misalignment out of nature reaction, for example, me : ). But regardless, what you are doing is wonderful, showing off the power of electric car and promote the green energy that will soon replace most if not all ICE car on the road in the next decade or so.

• Disagree
Reactions: Drivin and sukhi
Guys,
Looking at some of the major issues mentioned here, I have stayed away from complaining about the smaller issues but I wanted to check.
When I look at our X, it does look a bit imperfect in many areas. I will post the pictures and you be the judge.
Just to make sure I was not being nit picky, I looked for similar issues on our two BMWs (i3 and x5) and I do not see any of these issues and in fact I have new appreciation for the workmanship on our BMWs.
Is this your experience as well? Or are the folks now getting perfect Model Xs?

image.jpeg Misaligned between the FWD leading top edge and the front frame edge.

image.jpeg Gap at the top edge of the life gate and the body frame. It is just one side. The other side is very neat and closer together

image.jpeg The gap in the previous picture with my finger in that gap.

image.jpeg Misalignment between the trim on FWD and the rear frame

image.jpegGap between the drunk hood and the headlight
I can easily put my finger in that gap between the hood and the headlight

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X Yes? and Drivin
Yes my Model X has 2-3 mm inconsistencies in a number of places. I would expect more precision on a large scale car manufacturer and hope Tesla can close the gap in later cars.

Having said that they are really not that noticeable even by my standards and I am used to looking at and judging concours cars, where 1 mm will lose you the day. And most importantly the gaps should be consistent. On the Model X you will find the gaps within their tolerances but they can vary from the front to back or side to side.

• Informative
Reactions: Drivin
Yes my Model X has 2-3 mm inconsistencies in a number of places. I would expect more precision on a large scale car manufacturer and hope Tesla can close the gap in later cars.

Having said that they are really not that noticeable even by my standards and I am used to looking at and judging concours cars, where 1 mm will lose you the day. And most importantly the gaps should be consistent. On the Model X you will find the gaps within their tolerances but they can vary from the front to back or side to side.
That's what I am seeing. As if the parts were not made to fit each other.

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes? and Drivin
I could really only understand your door handle picture. Not sure what I was supposed to see in the others.

On the door handle one how good is the alignment on the other side of the FWD? Is the gap the same? Is the vertical part of the door gap consistent or is it tighter on the top/bottom?

If its the same then perhaps the latch can be adjusted tighter. If it's inconsistent then the door may be angled a bit in the opening and I am not sure how much fine adjustment the have. You would think there should be some way to adjust the door in any plain a few millimeters each way to 'tune' it to an opening.

I could really only understand your door handle picture. Not sure what I was supposed to see in the others.

On the door handle one how good is the alignment on the other side of the FWD? Is the gap the same? Is the vertical part of the door gap consistent or is it tighter on the top/bottom?

If its the same then perhaps the latch can be adjusted tighter. If it's inconsistent then the door may be angled a bit in the opening and I am not sure how much fine adjustment the have. You would think there should be some way to adjust the door in any plain a few millimeters each way to 'tune' it to an opening.

Thanks I should have labeled these. I will do that tomorrow but issue I see
- noticebale gap between the frunk hood and the headlights
- noticeable gap on one side between the life gate and the frame
- Window seals are cut shoddily.. Uneven and edges on the corners look rough.
- Different frame parts not really comne together evenly at many places. One part is high at some places but then the other.

This is my worst place. The passenger FWD rear is about 2-3mm lower than it should be. The front is perfect. It's that way the whole way up. Each place it aligns with the rear of the car is 2-3mm lower on the FWD side. I doubt there is anything that could be done to fix it because if you lifted up the left side it would skew the door and then both gaps would be inconsistent across their length. Right now one side is 2mm wider than the other. The front is probably only 2mm wide (which is the way I think it should be) and the back can be as wide as 4mm.

The picture is lousy because I just took it with the flash.

I agree on some of the seals. Mine work fine but there are rough edges and places they have torn. I am going to wait to see if they redesign any of these over the next year and get them to replace them later.

20160525_213243_resized.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
This is my worst place. The passenger FWD rear is about 2-3mm lower than it should be. The front is perfect. It's that way the whole way up. Each place it aligns with the rear of the car is 2-3mm lower on the FWD side. I doubt there is anything that could be done to fix it because if you lifted up the left side it would skew the door and then both gaps would be inconsistent across their length. Right now one side is 2mm wider than the other. The front is probably only 2mm wide (which is the way I think it should be) and the back can be as wide as 4mm.

The picture is lousy because I just took it with the flash.

I agree on some of the seals. Mine work fine but there are rough edges and places they have torn. I am going to wait to see if they redesign any of these over the next year and get them to replace them later.

View attachment 178124

I see that as well. Thanks for sharing. Also I labeled my pictures.

Now the question for me is, should I ask and expect SC to fix these issues? I feel like I should as it just not look professional but do not want to give me car away for a month.

Now the question for me is, should I ask and expect SC to fix these issues? I feel like I should as it just not look professional but do not want to give me car away for a month.
You'll have to be comfortable with it going to a body shop. That's where they'll send it, and the outcome will be good, but probably not perfect. I allowed them to send mine to the body shop, and I'm really happy with the results around the front doors (panels were touching) and hood (very big gaps at the front). But I realized I was taking a risk of getting it back worse than before.

They can't reform panels. They can just even out the gaps between the ones that will move. I see some things that bother me in your photos, and others that I just don't think are worth it.

You'll have to be comfortable with it going to a body shop. That's where they'll send it, and the outcome will be good, but probably not perfect. I allowed them to send mine to the body shop, and I'm really happy with the results around the front doors (panels were touching) and hood (very big gaps at the front). But I realized I was taking a risk of getting it back worse than before.

They can't reform panels. They can just even out the gaps between the ones that will move. I see some things that bother me in your photos, and others that I just don't think are worth it.

Thanks @ohmman, would you mind pointing out the worrisome ones, if that's ok.

To my eye, the hood and the window seal are the ones I'd probably bring up. I realize I'm completely off base scientifically on this, but those hood gaps seem like they'll jack with the aerodynamics of the car. I think I posted my hood gap photos upthread. I joked with my SC manager that I'll have an extra 25 miles of range now that the gaps are closed.

The downside to closing those hood gaps is that I now have new ones at the back of the hood closer to the windshield. But I prefer them there, and I'm happy with the results.

The door handles align slightly differently when the falcon wing door closes. Don't worry about that - they always look off. In general, the door alignments are not body issues and are things that I would wait on. You've got time to let them iron out latches and software and everything else. If you really want to do it, make a note and send it to them, not for current repair, but just to put on file. That way the SC knows, and if you bring it back in 6 months, it's on the record.

A few days ago, I spent some time looking over my Model S. There are a lot of issues on it that I never saw before. Some that I had, of course, but plenty I hadn't. And I've been thrilled with that car for 2 years, so it goes to show that sometimes it's not worth looking so closely. Make a decision on what you need fixed to be happy, and then be happy when it's fixed. No more second looks. Just my advice.

To my eye, the hood and the window seal are the ones I'd probably bring up. I realize I'm completely off base scientifically on this, but those hood gaps seem like they'll jack with the aerodynamics of the car. I think I posted my hood gap photos upthread. I joked with my SC manager that I'll have an extra 25 miles of range now that the gaps are closed.

The downside to closing those hood gaps is that I now have new ones at the back of the hood closer to the windshield. But I prefer them there, and I'm happy with the results.

The door handles align slightly differently when the falcon wing door closes. Don't worry about that - they always look off. In general, the door alignments are not body issues and are things that I would wait on. You've got time to let them iron out latches and software and everything else. If you really want to do it, make a note and send it to them, not for current repair, but just to put on file. That way the SC knows, and if you bring it back in 6 months, it's on the record.

A few days ago, I spent some time looking over my Model S. There are a lot of issues on it that I never saw before. Some that I had, of course, but plenty I hadn't. And I've been thrilled with that car for 2 years, so it goes to show that sometimes it's not worth looking so closely. Make a decision on what you need fixed to be happy, and then be happy when it's fixed. No more second looks. Just my advice.
Thank you! This is insightful.

I see that as well. Thanks for sharing. Also I labeled my pictures.

Everything you showed us looks fixable. Aren't you near the factory? Will they service your car at the factory? Or check the Yelp reviews for the SC you are thinking of taking your tesla to and if you don't like their rating take it to the one with the highest rating for your peace of mind.

Mine is in the SC right now with similar issues I should get it back on Friday I will let you know how it went. But I feel much better myself after reading @ohmman feedback on his repairs.

Last edited:
Everything you showed us looks fixable. Aren't you near the factory? Will they service you car at the factory? Or check the Yelp reviews for the SC you are thinking of taking your tesla to and if you don't like their rating take it to the one with the highest rating for your peace of mind.

Mine is in the SC right now with similar issues I should get it back on Friday I will let you know how it went. But I feel much better myself after reading @ohmman feedback on his repairs.
Great suggestion. I will do that.

Good news: the passenger door opens again.

Bad news: the chrome trim was replaced and looks exactly the same. I suspect the falcon wing door body panel was just badly stamped, but service suspects the trim kit.

I found a new misalignment in the hood which will likely be fixed, along with some molding issues.

I just wanted to add that since owning a Model X with misalignments, I have been eagle eyed when it comes to other cars. Today I was watching a video (MotorTrend Head 2 Head) between a Model X and a Bentley Bentayga, and the Bentley had some misaligned chrome!! Or a misaligned door? So I feel a little better now. That Bentley is $275k as tested too.

View attachment 178067
Check it out!

Here is the link to the video if anyone is curious about it.
That's funny. I saw the same thing. That's a good sign to get away from the X for a while.