Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good are Tesla’s in Australia’s extreme heat?

How good are Tesla’s in Australia’s extreme heat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm finding the AC really inconsistent. I would expect if I set the temperature to 24 degrees, the cabin temperature would be maintained to 24 degrees, hence the terminology 'climate control'. It doesn't work that way with the Model 3. I'm constantly having to adjust the target temperature (I have recycle set to on and AC set to auto) when I first get in the car, then later on when I've been driving for a while. It's worse if the day is hot and the car is in the sun as the radiant heat from the roof is really noticeable. Easily the worst climate control I've had the displeasure of using as it controls the temperature of the air being fed into the cabin, not the climate of the cabin itself. There's a significant difference between the two.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
realised they were on with people in the back

Aha! Now that makes me concerned that the rear seat sensors are not triggered when our (5.5kg) dog is riding in the back. We just thought the air was on, but weak. Now I'm thinking the poor bugger must be hot, because he's too light to trigger the rear aircon.

CBF93276-CCB7-4ADD-8276-B9DDD8FC76DC.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: HighlyCharged
metal and cloth also get hot and radiate heat into the cabin.
True. However, I assume there is a gap that’s filled with air that can provide some insulation or maybe even some insulating material.
If you hold the back of your hand below the glass you can feel the heat radiate once the glass heats up.

The air conditioning appears to be quite capable of cooling the cabin adequately and I am not too bothered by the fan noise.

Well, it was 120 degrees as I drove through Penrith today (48.8 C- it showed 61(!) on the car thermometer when parked!) and it was just bearable in the car with the AC set to 21.5 and the fan set to 8. So they can cope with pretty much as bad as it gets!
Pre-conditioning the cabin made a noise like a fighter jet spooling up :)

My HVAC could not get the temp much below 25 while driving on a 32 day. I had it in A/C, Fan 8, Face vents and temp set to LO (full cold). Even after ~ 30 min highway driving it was failing miserably & I reckon the cabin was still in the mid 20's. Was starting to think it was faulty, until I thought try AUTO mode. This fixed things immediately & I was able to wind the temp back up from LO to 22. From now on I am going to consciously try and use AUTO mode, instead of manual settings whenever I think the system is struggling.

My HVAC could not get the temp much below 25 while driving on a 32 day. I had it in A/C, Fan 8, Face vents and temp set to LO (full cold). Even after ~ 30 min highway driving it was failing miserably & I reckon the cabin was still in the mid 20's. Was starting to think it was faulty, until I thought try AUTO mode. This fixed things immediately & I was able to wind the temp back up from LO to 22. From now on I am going to consciously try and use AUTO mode, instead of manual settings whenever I think the system is struggling.
That’s exactly what I’ve found. For whatever weird reason, Auto mode works sooooooo much better than any manual setting, which defies logic to me, but there you go.

That’s exactly what I’ve found. For whatever weird reason, Auto mode works sooooooo much better than any manual setting, which defies logic to me, but there you go.
Glad I am not alone. I thought it was odd too, because most other cars have increased cooling in manual modes. I am just glad I now know to use AUTO as my go to setting.

Well, it was 120 degrees as I drove through Penrith today (48.8 C- it showed 61(!) on the car thermometer when parked!) and it was just bearable in the car with the AC set to 21.5 and the fan set to 8. So they can cope with pretty much as bad as it gets!
Penrith’s 48.9°C yesterday was the third-hottest temperature ever recorded in NSW. The only two higher daily maximums on record were 49.1°C recorded at Walgett Airport on 3 January 2014 and 49.7°C recorded at Menindee Post Office on 10 January 1939. That such a temperature could occur in the Sydney basin and not in the northwest of the state is insane.

But, you know, climate change and global warming is a hoax.

Reactions: Hairyman and ICUDoc
Apropos of nothing, here’s the lowest monthly rainfall totals ever recorded at Observatory Hill, Australia's oldest meteorological staton, from nearly 2000 monthly data points:
  1. 0.0mm - Aug 1995
  2. 0.2mm - Sep 2017
  3. 0.6mm - Oct 1988
  4. 0.6mm - Aug 1885
  5. 1.4mm - Apr 1868
  6. 1.6mm - Dec 2019
My daughter wants to see what it’s like to be in my Model 3, looking up through the roof, when it’s raining. So do I.

I've (somewhat) made some positive progress regarding the cabin temperature. By leaving it on recirculate and 'auto' mode, if I only adjust the target temperature only, this makes the cabin 'feel' temperature adjustable in some simpler sense ie: it's 34 degrees and the cars parked in the sun. I get into the car and adjust the climate control target temperature to an unrealistic temperature; say, 18.5 degrees? The car then increases the fan speed etc and cools down the cabin sufficiently. Once I've been driving for a while and the cabin then becomes too cold, I adjust it back up to 20 degrees which feels the same as my previous cars climate control (that actually worked) at 24 degrees.

If I left the target temperature at 20 degrees when I first get in the car, the fan speed does not ramp up much and the interior temperature remains hot for a long time (maybe 15 minutes +?).

Still super unhappy about the cars inability to perform anything that can be remotely considered 'climate control'. This kind of manual adjustment is what I have in my 2008 hilux (which has about as much technology as a shoebox). I expect a lot better from a technology company such as Tesla with a 2020 model car. Hopefully they have some in-cabin thermal sensors that they can use in a future update to make the climate control actually work as it would be expected to.

I think Tesla has a problem with the cabin temperature sensor, whether it be software, placement, or otherwise. If I look at the logs in Teslafi, it shows that the temperature that was set in the controls is what it thinks the cabin is at, and modulates the output accordingly. There's no way that is correct when I'm sweating inside and the car thinks it's 19° in there. I suggest we all file a service request to get this looked at, there may be a software solution.