Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the 3 without the HEPA filter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, but the S is then competing in a completely different size and price bracket and underperforming in these metrics there as well. Which is my entire point, Tesla should step up their game to compete long term with the Germans in the respective category.

Okay. Considering Tesla’s push is for more affordable cars it seems like you will not be satisfied with their offerings for the foreseeable future, HEPA filter or not.

Or try to find a stealth P.. which is a P with 18" Aeros for... 2K above the price of a LR AWD (same price as the boost, but full P acceleration and track mode. It does NOT have the bigger breaks, spoiler, or suspension upgrade).

But, it doesn't sound like you will be happy with a 3. Don't get one, you will resent i until you sell it.

I could have sprung for a used S.. didn't care for it. I adore my stealth P. Not every car is for every person. 50K is a lot of money for a car, find the car you love.

-J

biodefense is a bit of a marketing gang. The model 3 filters are very good and can be improved slightly further with aftermarket HEPA filters (those are again just marketing terms) at the cost of a slight charcoaly smell.

Reactions: SalisburySam
biodefense is a bit of a marketing gang. The model 3 filters are very good and can be improved slightly further with aftermarket HEPA filters (those are again just marketing terms) at the cost of a slight charcoaly smell.

In no way are the aftermarket Model 3 “HEPA” filters comparable to the massive, true HEPA filters in the S & X. Not even close.

i dont think there is any evidence that the S/X have a true hepa filter anymore than the 3 having not an aftermarket hepa filter. the filter might be very very good though.
HEPA or not the S/X filter is on a whole other level than the Model 3's filter.

The Model 3 cabin filters are actually a bit smaller than the one Elon is holding (although there are two), but this gives a ball park size comparison.
figure-2-tesla-hepa-filter-e1485615974155.png

Tesla's claims that Model S/X are HEPA filters are believable given how much area is available for the air to move (so a more restrictive HEPA filter can work just fine).

It's less believable for the Model 3 given how small the cabin filters are. Plus I believe the third parties were asked to provide certification or test data and none of them are able to.
Some even claim their HEPA filters have better airflow than the OEM, but that's not possible if it's actual HEPA (which is more restrictive than conventional filters)
https://www.amazon.com/XTechnor-Activated-Conditional-Replacement-Filters/dp/B081L81B5V

Look at reviews for true ASTM D2986 tested HEPA cabin filters (which Bosch introduced recently) and you will see many complaints of reduced airflow.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-6048C-HEPA-Cabin-Filter/dp/B01JYSWUDS

Tesla at least has some test data for PM 2.5 (although that does not prove HEPA, which is based on PM 0.3):
Putting the Tesla HEPA Filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Test
When they launched they claimed:
“100 times more effective than premium automotive filters” as it removes “at least 99.97% of fine particulate matter and gaseous pollutants, as well as bacteria, viruses, pollen and mold spores.”
Tesla launches HEPA air filtration with Bioweapon Defense Mode upgrade for older Model S/X - Electrek

Last edited:
HEPA or not the S/X filter is on a whole other level than the Model 3's filter.

The Model 3 cabin filters are actually a bit smaller than the one Elon is holding (although there are two), but this gives a ball park size comparison.
figure-2-tesla-hepa-filter-e1485615974155.png

Tesla's claims that Model S/X are HEPA filters are believable given how much area is available for the air to move (so a more restrictive HEPA filter can work just fine).

It's less believable for the Model 3 given how small the cabin filters are. Plus I believe the third parties were asked to provide certification or test data and none of them are able to.
Some even claim their HEPA filters have better airflow than the OEM, but that's not possible if it's actual HEPA (which is more restrictive than conventional filters)
https://www.amazon.com/XTechnor-Activated-Conditional-Replacement-Filters/dp/B081L81B5V

Look at reviews for true ASTM D2986 tested HEPA cabin filters (which Bosch introduced recently) and you will see many complaints of reduced airflow.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-6048C-HEPA-Cabin-Filter/dp/B01JYSWUDS

Tesla at least has some test data for PM 2.5 (although that does not prove HEPA, which is based on PM 0.3):
Putting the Tesla HEPA Filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Test
When they launched they claimed:
“100 times more effective than premium automotive filters” as it removes “at least 99.97% of fine particulate matter and gaseous pollutants, as well as bacteria, viruses, pollen and mold spores.”
Tesla launches HEPA air filtration with Bioweapon Defense Mode upgrade for older Model S/X - Electrek

There is a single published low quality test by german tesla which shows that the Model S HEPA filter is great at filtering out particles.
The Model S filter may be 4-5x as big as the as the Model 3 filters. But the Model 3 also has a smaller cabin. And is the size really needed as long as you can pressurize the cabin? Model 3 already filters air insanely fast on lv 10.

The issue is not that the Model S HEPA system isn't any good, the issue is that the Model 3 system is also good, even without aftermarket HEPA filter. Put it in the same environment as the Model S with an aftermarket HEPA filter, pressurize the cabin and then publish your results. And then we will see how much better the S really is.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
There is a single published low quality test by german tesla which shows that the Model S HEPA filter is great at filtering out particles.
The Model S filter may be 4-5x as big as the as the Model 3 filters. But the Model 3 also has a smaller cabin. And is the size really needed as long as you can pressurize the cabin? Model 3 already filters air insanely fast on lv 10.
The EPA passenger volume of the Model S is actually smaller (94 vs 97 cu ft). Total interior volume is 120 cu ft vs 112 cu ft, a 1.07x multiplier. The Model S filter is way more than 1.07x the size that of Model 3's (heck even if you compare total vs passenger that is only a 1.24x multiplier), so that explanation does not fly.
Compare Side-by-Side

The issue is not that the Model S HEPA system isn't any good, the issue is that the Model 3 system is also good, even without aftermarket HEPA filter. Put it in the same environment as the Model S with an aftermarket HEPA filter, pressurize the cabin and then publish your results. And then we will see how much better the S really is.
I have no interest in that exercise as I don't have a Model S nor any testing equipment to do that test anyways, even though I do have a Model 3. Just saying there are very obvious and practical reasons why Tesla is willing to claim the Model S/X (and Model Y equipped according) is HEPA/bioweapon capable and not the Model 3.

And similarly why the Model Y got it already (in China) and Model 3 won't (too small, the same reason why the Model Y frunk is larger than the 3's).
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...details_of_model_y_s_hepa_filters_two_layers/

Not saying the filtering in the Model 3 won't be good enough for the OP's purposes (it's certainly good enough for my own purposes), just saying it's not a stretch at all to believe the Model S/X (and upcoming Y) would be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl