Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is the 3 without the HEPA filter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to sell my S and looking to get a 3, I don’t particulary like the 3 since I find it feeling quite cheap so it isn’t really a switch I am looking forward to. But since we don’t really need a car to begin with it doesn’t make sense to spend the extra for the S anymore. Wanted to go for a P to at least give me something fun but after testing P/LR AWD back to back the tire noise from the 20” was unbearable so ill have to settle for the LR AWD with acceleration boost.

The big question is with the lack of a HEPA filter in the 3, since I am allergic to pollen I loved the clean air in the S. No smells and no pollen, how is this in the 3? Do you smell anything if you are behind a dirty diesel truck spewing out black smoke? While going past some sort of smelly plant or fertilized farmland? Any pollen getting in?

Uh.

So let’s see. You don’t like the 3 because it’s “cheap.” You don’t need a second car anyway. You found the P tire noise “unbearable” (??) but will “settle” for the LR AWD with boost download.

Even before I answer the question, maybe the real answer is don’t buy another Tesla?

For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with pollen or other smells etc in my 3. And I get pretty awful hay fever.

Uh.

So let’s see. You don’t like the 3 because it’s “cheap.” You don’t need a second car anyway. You found the P tire noise “unbearable” (??) but will “settle” for the LR AWD with boost download.

More or less correct yes. The 3 is lacking even more in the interior quality feel compared to the S (where the S isn't stellar to begin with). And yes 20" low profiles make a lot of tire noise, 18" is good enough in that aspect that I can accept it. I don't get as much fun performance though but it is what it is.

Even before I answer the question, maybe the real answer is don’t buy another Tesla?

Well as I said I would rather not have a car at all since living in the city means I have everything within walking distance more or less, but the wife wants us to have one she can take to work and to not have to rely on taxis/rentals when visiting friends and relatives living in the suburb or going on trips.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with pollen or other smells etc in my 3. And I get pretty awful hay fever.

That sounds good since this was a nice thing in the S, the first car where more or less everything from the outside was eliminated.

Decided to sell my S and looking to get a 3, I don’t particulary like the 3 since I find it feeling quite cheap so it isn’t really a switch I am looking forward to. But since we don’t really need a car to begin with it doesn’t make sense to spend the extra for the S anymore. Wanted to go for a P to at least give me something fun but after testing P/LR AWD back to back the tire noise from the 20” was unbearable so ill have to settle for the LR AWD with acceleration boost.

Or try to find a stealth P.. which is a P with 18" Aeros for... 2K above the price of a LR AWD (same price as the boost, but full P acceleration and track mode. It does NOT have the bigger breaks, spoiler, or suspension upgrade).

But, it doesn't sound like you will be happy with a 3. Don't get one, you will resent i until you sell it.

I could have sprung for a used S.. didn't care for it. I adore my stealth P. Not every car is for every person. 50K is a lot of money for a car, find the car you love.

-J

The big question is with the lack of a HEPA filter in the 3, since I am allergic to pollen I loved the clean air in the S. No smells and no pollen, how is this in the 3? Do you smell anything if you are behind a dirty diesel truck spewing out black smoke? While going past some sort of smelly plant or fertilized farmland? Any pollen getting in?
In my experience, all outside smells (wood burning smoke, diesel exhaust, dead animals, cow poo, etc.) come in almost immediately on the Model 3.

just bought Hepa replacement filters for my 3 from Ebay and popped them in--they are fantastic!

• Helpful
Reactions: Sherlo
Maybe let her decide? My wife looooves her M3 :)

Well she can decide we will have a car but we both must be happy with the car we pick. She doesn’t mind the performance rims for summers but she doesn’t want them in the winter nor does she want me to have to use noise cancelling headphones all the time in the car.

Or try to find a stealth P.. which is a P with 18" Aeros for... 2K above the price of a LR AWD (same price as the boost, but full P acceleration and track mode. It does NOT have the bigger breaks, spoiler, or suspension upgrade).

But, it doesn't sound like you will be happy with a 3. Don't get one, you will resent i until you sell it.

I could have sprung for a used S.. didn't care for it. I adore my stealth P. Not every car is for every person. 50K is a lot of money for a car, find the car you love.

-J

Yeah that’s what I did for this quarter and had my sales contact looking out for one (wasn’t picky with colors), apparently we got 0 stealth Ps this time around and I don’t wanna wait another quarter for none to arrive again. I got an order in for a 3 LR AWD now but if a P- comes up I can always switch I guess.

Problem I am having is since our use case for a car at all is very low I don’t wanna spend too much, but owning an EV and specifically a Tesla has spoiled us so there aren’t many other cars we want :p. But yeah you got a point, my excitement for the 3 is quite low tbh.

Did you always run the S in Biohazard Mode?

Why did you sell the S in the first place?

Nope I never used Biohazard mode, but all outside air from the AC passes through the HEPA filter. Biohazard mode only put created positive pressure in the cabin.

Sold it because I got a really nice offer more or less, due to the price drop I lost a lot but due to lag in the market not all the car dealers was caught up yet. I could buy a brand new Raven for more or less the same money they paid me for my 18 months old one.

In my experience, all outside smells (wood burning smoke, diesel exhaust, dead animals, cow poo, etc.) come in almost immediately on the Model 3.

Not good news really but thanks for sharing your experience! Stopping all smells really were one of the features that made the S feel so comfortable and futuristic. You felt more isolated from the traffic around you.

Honestly I would say it is better than normal cars but not as good as fully biohazard filtration on S and X. The model 3 does have two filters which are normal sized so it's probably got double filtration compared to most cars.

I abhor diesel exhaust as I am cognizant of it's carcinogen content and I smell very little when behind a diesel. I do smell wood smoke come through the climate pretty quickly though. Those filters linked above might be great with the activated carbon. I suppose I'll look into some better filters soon.

the giant HEPA filter is one of the premium (now standard) features of the S and X. Provides clean, healthy and dust free air to the occupants. Amazing how it stops smelly cow, diesel, smoke and pollen from entering the passenger compartment during normal activation.

Model 3 does not have this protective layer, but has two internal non-HEPA filters that do a pretty good job of cleaning the air as will.

From what I understand, the aftermarket filters are not certified as HEPA. They may have activated charcoal to reduce smells, but not up to the levels of S & X.

On the other hand, the OP has good thoughts, as the Model 3 might fit their new needs of an occasional city car. It is more nimble in crowded cities, easier to park, far less expensive and still stylish and certainly aspirational. Just will not have the same smell removing capabilities. Inside the city the air and road noise should not be much of an issue, as it usually only becomes annoying at higher cruising speeds. Seems like Wife will be driving it most of the time and may not have the same adversion to smells and road noise.

Check this video out:

Uh.

I had similar vibes from the initial post, really made me think of this:
d95.png