Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sounds like BS to me. Based on my conversation with them ( and I had many) system is automated to flag your account ready to submit for PTO, once they check all boxes. Call the main line and chat with whoever pick up and ask them to review your account and what is taking so long. On my account they forgot to tick the inspection completed and downpayment received. Once that was done, in a couple of days I got email from PGE that my application was submitted
Took a few tries, but was finally able to get my project advisor not to pick up (of course he picks up when I don't need him) so I could be placed into the queue and got someone who was really helpful. As I expected, but some drama with backup switch delaying the application so I guess I just have to keep calling back in to get new info. Guess Tesla is gambling PGE will cave, because they are going to have to redo a lot of installs if they can't get it approved..

I'm having issue with Tesla hasn't submit PTO application to Eversource for months. My system is

- 8KW solar panel + 2 Powerwalls.
- ordered on 2020-9
- initial installation was done on 2021-1
- electricians finished final work on 2021-3
- city inspection was done on 2021-4
- been waiting for PTO submitting to Eversource

As of today, August 12, 2021, Tesla has yet to file the PTO application. Does it sound normal to you? I contact the Tesla many times, but all I got is "wait", with no real update.
Don't know if it's typical or not, but if you're looking for another data point - in NJ, in late 2020 during the COVID lull, it took about one month from application to PTO. This includes a no-show from the township inspector, otherwise it would have been closer to three weeks.

Fruitcake

Sigh, finally realized that my account was stuck in a holding pattern and the PTO process has not even begun yet. Install and inspection was 07/2021. I originally paid a downpayment, but it was for the incorrect amount. The system triggered that step being complete and that I was onto PTO but the backend held things back. Just paid the remainder and will only now just be starting the process.

What’s all this about CA NEM 3? Any planned date when that may start ?

I'm still having problems with my install (battery configs), but for the record, my PTO was ~1 week after passing final inspection. This is SDG&E land so at least NEM3.0 is one less headache/concern for me now throughout this process (unless they remove all grandfathering).

I didn't go with Tesla Solar as I mentioned in previous posts due to what I've read here on support/response/delay issues.

NEM3.0 won't start for a little while and they will have some finalized framework by the end of the year. It's a toss up when it will be implemented and how, but I follow this site on overall solar news. They talk about NEM2.0 > NEM3.0 quite a bit so you can stay up to date when more info is released. I think we all agree it'll be worst than NEM2.0 (not surprising to anyone):

I can't for some reason update my old post, but as Tesla fashion, nothing is getting done or moving forward without you driving it....
My application for interconnect was submitted by tesla on 10/6, called few days later to check on status PG&E and was in review. So waited few weeks as typically takes some time. To my "surprised" called PG&E today and they checked that after engineering review, they found that application was missing single wire diagram, PGE reached to tesla on 10/13 and haven't heard back. Called tesla today and they they were trying to convince me that , they haven't got to that email yet, (2wks later) but the customer support person, said will create a note on my account to expedite that. WTF seriously, I am getting so tired of being part time PM for their project, just to get things moving. Only saving grace is that with the PW+ system is semi operational, I am able still to use Solar and charge my PWs and be able to discharge them at night to offset my PG&E bill. (end of rant)

• Helpful
Reactions: dailo
Took a few tries, but was finally able to get my project advisor not to pick up (of course he picks up when I don't need him) so I could be placed into the queue and got someone who was really helpful. As I expected, but some drama with backup switch delaying the application so I guess I just have to keep calling back in to get new info. Guess Tesla is gambling PGE will cave, because they are going to have to redo a lot of installs if they can't get it approved..

where do you live? I was told by my city that in the backup switch is only being approved by permitting authorities in areas of high fire danger. many cities agreed not to approve permits with backup switch for now since the pilot program with PG&E is only in high fire areas. tesla re-designed my system with a gateway2 instead of a backup switch and it's now been permitted and I've been scheduled for install.

where do you live? I was told by my city that in the backup switch is only being approved by permitting authorities in areas of high fire danger. many cities agreed not to approve permits with backup switch for now since the pilot program with PG&E is only in high fire areas. tesla re-designed my system with a gateway2 instead of a backup switch and it's now been permitted and I've been scheduled for install.
Live in south San Jose, but don't think I am in any high risk fire area. There is a hill behind my house, but I wouldn't consider it high fire danger. However, if that is the reason I'll take it.

Does the logic sound odd to anyone else?

"We have a new device that we have safety concerns about, so we will only install it in high risk wildfire areas."

And that sounded like a smart move to PG&E because why...? These are the same folks who didn't pressure test gas pipelines, and think that is ok to see a tree leaning on a wire arcing, dropping embers, and not phone it in for hours...

Wow.

BG

Still waiting for PTO on my panels/power wall, been in "engineering review" since 10/8, PG&E has been waiting since 10/15 for Tesla to respond to a couple questions. I call both weekly, and get the same story ("we are waiting" and "we responded")

Today's call in, I'm hearing Tesla is very sorry its so hard for them to do their job, but they're really going to try hard to maybe do their job now.

Sigh. Yeah.Their 90 day contractual obligation to get PTO expires end of December. Funny how they give themselves 3 months to complete a step that supposedly takes 5-10 business days according to PG&E... once they have all the info they need. That last bit seems to be the key stumbling block.

Still waiting for PTO on my panels/power wall, been in "engineering review" since 10/8, PG&E has been waiting since 10/15 for Tesla to respond to a couple questions. I call both weekly, and get the same story ("we are waiting" and "we responded")

Today's call in, I'm hearing Tesla is very sorry its so hard for them to do their job, but they're really going to try hard to maybe do their job now.

Sigh. Yeah.Their 90 day contractual obligation to get PTO expires end of December. Funny how they give themselves 3 months to complete a step that supposedly takes 5-10 business days according to PG&E... once they have all the info they need. That last bit seems to be the key stumbling block.
I am on the same Boat. PG&E waiting since 10/13 for Tesla to provide them single line diagram in order to complete the review. Called Tesla and was told, probably the email from PG&E is waiting to be reviewed. Going to call them tomorrow again.

I am on the same Boat. PG&E waiting since 10/13 for Tesla to provide them single line diagram in order to complete the review. Called Tesla and was told, probably the email from PG&E is waiting to be reviewed. Going to call them tomorrow again.
Which number did you call? Do you call the Solar Customer service number? Probably about time I check on my application as well.

I had an 8.16 kW panel system with 2 Powerwalls installed by Tesla in Tampa, FL. It took my 4 months to get PTO, which I received from my utility company via email. My Tesla account does not reflect it yet. Pictures of my system/installation are in an unrelated thread here.

I called and emailed my advisor several times during the process and was told they were escalating the issue with the interconnection team. I also had a service call during my wait period between install and PTO. My utility company showed up to do the inspection without contacting me first; they did not need to interact with me anyway but I was not aware that they were coming.

Install: 6/24/2021
Inspection passed: 6/28/2021
Advisor alerted me that utility team submitted application for PTO: 10/11/2021
Utility inspection for PTO: 10/21/2021
PTO received from utility: 10/25/2021

After a bit of searching found the local access info, got the Gateway configured onto my local network, and then enabled 'go off grid' via that local web interface - powered up the solar panels after that and was able to run off grid all day & charged up powerwall to 80%.

Looks like Tesla re-submitted the entire project to PG&E yesterday, so my guess is my clock to get PTO reset again - so another 5-15 days... I'll keep playing the "go off grid" game to keep the powerwall charged up and reduce my grid usage until PTO

first of all , my installation finished at August and I have being waiting for almost 3 months for PTO
after I reached out to PGE ( nor cal here ), PGE told me they are waiting for TESLA to provide the single line diagram
I checked the package that Tesla left , there is only a three line diagram. i assume single line diagram would be a simplified version
but still after 2 month, no response at all...
you know next Jan Norcal PGE will switch to Nem3 plan, if Tesla keep delaying , we will miss the window.
i want to file a BBB compliant , or even sue tesla now. .

first of all , my installation finished at August and I have being waiting for almost 3 months for PTO
after I reached out to PGE ( nor cal here ), PGE told me they are waiting for TESLA to provide the single line diagram
I checked the package that Tesla left , there is only a three line diagram. i assume single line diagram would be a simplified version
but still after 2 month, no response at all...
you know next Jan Norcal PGE will switch to Nem3 plan, if Tesla keep delaying , we will miss the window.
i want to file a BBB compliant , or even sue tesla now. .
You're experience is very common. I'd start off by filing a complaint with your state AG. Many on here (including myself) have done that and saw varying degrees of success/progress. Then call/email Tesla everyday like a maniac -- that also seems to have varying degrees of success.

You're so NorCal that you're in a completely different state! :D

1635958807360.png

• Funny
Reactions: nwdiver
Will update once the PTO is granted.
Here is the latest, hopefully the saga is over , let see if system perform as expected:

8.16kWh Panels + 2PWs (PW+, PW 2.0, Gateway 2.0) Utility - PGE
Location - Bay Area California

4/7/2021 - order placed between april and june multiple phone calls to revise layout
6/29/2021 - revised contract (added PWs to the system)
8/24/2021 - installation completed
8/29/2021 - found out that they never updated the permit for adding the PWs, so permit revision is required
9/16/2021 - revised permit filed
9/24/2021 - inspection passed
10/01/2021 - downpayment submitted (required now before Tesla file the paperworks with PGE)
10/06/2021 - Tesla submitted the application for PTO
10/06-26/2021 - no communication from either Tesla or PG&E
10/26/2021 - Called PG&E to check on status, apparently PG&E emailed Tesla back on 10/13/2021 with request for documentation, as they didn't upload single line diagram
10/26/2021 - Called Tesla to find out what is going on, this escalated my case to re-submit missing paperwork
10/27/2021 - Email from tesla that my application to PG&E has been re-submitted and email from PG&E that internal review now is delayed from 10/27/2021 to 11/3/2021
11/1/2021 - Email from PG&E that PTO approved, no feedback from tesla
11/1/2021 - Called Tesla to check on status, was told that they see the approval on their website need to wait on the interconnect team to get back to me
11/3/2021 - Email from Tesla that I can "turn the system on" , I have been on self-consumption mode since the installation. However the system still shows self-consumption mode. Did power-down and restart, didn't change the status. Another call to tesla support.
11/3/2021 - as of 10am self-consumption mode is gone, now let see if actually sends back to the grid, has been cloudy here and my power walls are down to 30% so will report back at the end of the day.

Hopefully I am good to go!

Reactions: Hebert and dailo
Here is the latest, hopefully the saga is over , let see if system perform as expected:

8.16kWh Panels + 2PWs (PW+, PW 2.0, Gateway 2.0) Utility - PGE
Location - Bay Area California

4/7/2021 - order placed between april and june multiple phone calls to revise layout
6/29/2021 - revised contract (added PWs to the system)
8/24/2021 - installation completed
8/29/2021 - found out that they never updated the permit for adding the PWs, so permit revision is required
9/16/2021 - revised permit filed
9/24/2021 - inspection passed
10/01/2021 - downpayment submitted (required now before Tesla file the paperworks with PGE)
10/06/2021 - Tesla submitted the application for PTO
10/06-26/2021 - no communication from either Tesla or PG&E
10/26/2021 - Called PG&E to check on status, apparently PG&E emailed Tesla back on 10/13/2021 with request for documentation, as they didn't upload single line diagram
10/26/2021 - Called Tesla to find out what is going on, this escalated my case to re-submit missing paperwork
10/27/2021 - Email from tesla that my application to PG&E has been re-submitted and email from PG&E that internal review now is delayed from 10/27/2021 to 11/3/2021
11/1/2021 - Email from PG&E that PTO approved, no feedback from tesla
11/1/2021 - Called Tesla to check on status, was told that they see the approval on their website need to wait on the interconnect team to get back to me
11/3/2021 - Email from Tesla that I can "turn the system on" , I have been on self-consumption mode since the installation. However the system still shows self-consumption mode. Did power-down and restart, didn't change the status. Another call to tesla support.
11/3/2021 - as of 10am self-consumption mode is gone, now let see if actually sends back to the grid, has been cloudy here and my power walls are down to 30% so will report back at the end of the day.

Hopefully I am good to go!
Congrats! Similar experience for me as well, bit I am expecting PTO any day now.