Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long between inspection and PTO? [various areas]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got someone to answer the phone in the Advisor queue. She was actually very helpful and told me that my project notes mentioned needing a replacement Powerwall+ due to a bad inverter section. She tried to get in touch with scheduling, but got no answer, so she left them a message about it. I'm not holding my breath until scheduling calls.

Reactions: Ramphex
If he put your stickers on crooked, probably same guy :). My OCD kicked in and I had to adjust all the stickers after they left.
@dailo forgot to ask, could you post picture of your install with backup switch? I am really regretting not pushing harder to get one. Feels like I could have saved tons of reworking moving all the wires to separate panel. The only thing that will make me feel better is if I really can't have total of 3x PWs (1xPW+, and 2xPW) as I want to add at least one more powerwall next year.

@dailo forgot to ask, could you post picture of your install with backup switch? I am really regretting not pushing harder to get one. Feels like I could have saved tons of reworking moving all the wires to separate panel. The only thing that will make me feel better is if I really can't have total of 3x PWs (1xPW+, and 2xPW) as I want to add at least one more powerwall next year.
Install is pretty simple. Just the power walls and a communication wire to the backup switch. Obviously only supports whole house backup.

Attachments

• A6AA24ED-D9DF-4280-A8CE-3C4522047655.jpeg
    A6AA24ED-D9DF-4280-A8CE-3C4522047655.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 903EE9B0-60F9-463F-AD00-86116DA3A65F.jpeg
    903EE9B0-60F9-463F-AD00-86116DA3A65F.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 77
Oh I see, you still needed auxiliary panel to hold the PWs breakers. Ok, I thought buy installing the backup switch , you can completely eliminate this.
It depends on your situation. If you have enough room in the main panel I am pretty sure you can land your generation sources directly there.

However for code reasons or if slots are at a premium, a combiner subpanel can be added.

It depends on your situation. If you have enough room in the main panel I am pretty sure you can land your generation sources directly there.

However for code reasons or if slots are at a premium, a combiner subpanel can be added.
thanks Vince, just when I was starting to feel better I didn't get one lol :) I had extra slots. water under the bridge now, would have made the install so much more clean.

Also Houston/CenterPoint.

Our install was done June 23-24, and we received PTO last night (Sept 1) -- so almost exactly 10 weeks. I should have called CenterPoint to check on status and see what the issue was, but never did, partly because just enough updates trickled out to reset my "if I don't hear anything by..." clock. Here's the timeline we had:

• June 23-24: Install
  • June 25: Passed inspection
  • July 1: Received the distributed generation application from CenterPoint that I needed to sign. Rant: Tesla never mentioned anything about this -- I would have expected their local install team to at least mention to keep an eye out for it...
  • July 2: Signed/Submitted the DG application (digital sig...)
  • July 19: Notification from CenterPoint that the application was rejected (2 areas where labels were not consistent on the one-line design). Tesla resubmitted a couple minutes later (I'm guessing CenterPoint had been in contact with Tesla, and someone just updated the workflow when the correction came in...).
  • Aug 4: Local Tesla team calls to ask if they can stop by and swap in the correct breakers into the gateway and take some additional pictures for CenterPoint. The band of breaker that matches our panel wasn't avail at install. Something tells me the CenterPoint asked why 2 of the breakers didn't match (I'm not happy -- mixing breaker brands is a potential electrical code violation).
  • Aug 9: Received an email from the Tesla project advisor asking if we were planning to use the co-branded Tesla/MP2 net metering plan (we're not)...
  • Aug 5: Notifications (about 3 in total) from CenterPoint that the application was approved and moving to the utility's inspection process.
  • Aug 27: Notification from CenterPoint that the application was moved from rejected to re-submitted (I did not get a notification it was rejected a 2nd time, so this one is odd...)
  • Sept 1: Get a text message from Tesla saying the application with our utility had been submitted (seems this was ~2 months late?). Checked email and saw a flurry of notifications from CenterPoint saying 1) the system was reviewed and design approved, 2) utility inspection was in progress, 3) inspection passed, 4) an email with the link to digitally sign the interconnection agreement, and 5) an email from Tesla saying the same thing as the text message. About 90 min later, I was able to read/sign the interconnection agreement. CenterPoint did their signature 10-15 min later, and we received PTO. The Tesla project advisor even sent an email letting me know that I needed to sign the interconnection agreement, but that came in a min or two after I had already signed it...
  • Sept 2: Tesla updated their site to reflect PTO (text/email notifications...)

Now I just need to get Tesla back out here to install the corner trim pieces -- they were on backorder at install. At least the project advisor confirmed that it is a punch list item open on our account...

Thank you for posting this. We're up in Spring, and somehow we're still awaiting PTO even though our Solar + Powerwall was installed on June 1. I also got trapped by the "regular" updates. Guess I'll have to call CenterPoint today.

FYI, not sure how many are aware, but Tesla won't submit anything application to your provider before you submit your downpayment (if you are taking loan for your system). Seems like this has changed. I just got off the phone with them to check on my application status to PGE and although I already submitted my payment they didn't flip the switch in their system to submit the paperwork. Not sure how is it going for the rest of you, but the only way for me to get my project to progress was to call and check with them in every step.

FYI, not sure how many are aware, but Tesla won't submit anything application to your provider before you submit your downpayment (if you are taking loan for your system). Seems like this has changed. I just got off the phone with them to check on my application status to PGE and although I already submitted my payment they didn't flip the switch in their system to submit the paperwork. Not sure how is it going for the rest of you, but the only way for me to get my project to progress was to call and check with them in every step.
Yes, hence my belief that legal action is the only way to resolve Tesla's criminal practices. There is basically zero incentive for Tesla to help the customer get PTO, as they have already received full payment from the customer and there is zero consequence for them if the customer doesn't get PTO. Straight up sketchy/criminal. Class action lawsuits and the threat of large fines from gov agencies like FTC are probably the only ways to alter Tesla's biz practices.

Yes, hence my belief that legal action is the only way to resolve Tesla's criminal practices. There is basically zero incentive for Tesla to help the customer get PTO, as they have already received full payment from the customer and there is zero consequence for them if the customer doesn't get PTO. Straight up sketchy/criminal. Class action lawsuits and the threat of large fines from gov agencies like FTC are probably the only ways to alter Tesla's biz practices.
I financed it with their special rate, which you aren't due for first payment till 35days after PTO. Which I guess is fair.

bringing treat back on track

8.16kWh Panels + 2PWs (PW+, PW 2.0, Gateway 2.0) Utility - PGE
Location - Bay Area California
4/7/2021 - order placed
between april and june multiple phone calls to revised layout
6/29/2021 - revised (added PW to the system)
8/24/2021 - installation completed
8/29/2021 - found out that they never updated the permit for adding the PWs, so permit revision is required
9/16/2021 - revised permit filed
9/24/2021 - inspection passed
10/01/2021 - downpayment submitted (required now before Tesla file the paperworks with PGE)

part-time program manager for them ,as nothing really moves to the next step without calling them and pushing to move the project.

Will update once the PTO is granted.

Thanks! Guess that means mine still hasn’t been submitted yet. The project advisor doesn’t seem to know anything about that process and can’t get ahold of anyone directly from the interconnection team.
sounds like BS to me. Based on my conversation with them ( and I had many) system is automated to flag your account ready to submit for PTO, once they check all boxes. Call the main line and chat with whoever pick up and ask them to review your account and what is taking so long. On my account they forgot to tick the inspection completed and downpayment received. Once that was done, in a couple of days I got email from PGE that my application was submitted

Wow. I should consider myself lucky. My solar roof and powerwall installation was 21 June, my county inspection was 29 June, and I just got PTO today 12 October. So 3 months and 1 week from inspection to PTO. I did throw a few temper tantrums to get that done and had my project advisor replaced. Perhaps if I knew it was this common, I might have been more patient.

I see people in this thread who have gone much longer than I did. I feel for you. If it makes anyone feel any better, my system is still not fully operational since Tesla botched the configuration of the gateway.

12.24kw Panels + no Powerwall's, Utility - APS
Location - Phoenix Area, Arizona

4/21/2021 - order placed
6/8/2021 - HOA approval requested and received
6/10/2021 - first design received for 9.86kw. Requested redesign for 12.24kw.
7/3/2021 - second design received for 12.24kw, design accepted
7/5/2021 - City Permit requested
7/12/2021 - Permit rejected for missing loads calculation
8/20/2021 - third design with loads calculation
8/31/2021 - City approves electrical permit
9/1/2021 - Interconnection Request application submitted to APS
9/9/2021 - APS approves Interconnection Request
9/16/2021 - Install starts
9/17/2021 - Install completes
9/24/2021 - City Electrical Inspection Pass
9/24/2021 - Payment submitted
9/24/2021 - APS notified install complete and request for PTO
10/09/2021 - APS Engineering approval
10/11/2021 - APS Meter installed and PTO

My project manager was good and always responded to my texts. The local Phoenix team is awesome and super responsive via texts.
Design turnarounds were slow, usually taking a month no matter how small the issue. Iterating the design was worth it as I ended up with
the panel number and placement being optimized as well as the designer found a way so my electrical panel did not need to be derated.

Last edited: