Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you charge at Superchargers

How long do you charge at an SC?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The title says it all. How long do you all typically charge at a super charger? For me it is apparently 28 minutes but I really don't use the things that much and would like to know what is typical.

The reason I am interested is that I have put together a simple Monte Carlo model of what goes on at a Super Charger. The key parameters are how many stalls there are, how fast cars arrive, and how fast they depart. That, of course, depends on how long they stay.

Feel free to put more info into posts but if all you want to do is check a button that's fine too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Screenshot 2019-08-18 09.55.21.png
Over the past year I've supercharged 114 times, used 3600kW, with an average charge time of 27 minutes. Shortest charge was 6 minutes. Longest charge was 67 minutes.

Last edited:
I typically charge 10 to 15mins.

According to abetterrouteplanner if you travelled from NYC to LA, in a LR Model 3, you'd only need 24 stops, with an average of 16 mins per stop, shortest 7mins, longest 25mins, and an average of 113miles between Superchargers, shortest 59miles, longest 187miles. Of course, that's presuming no sharing of pedestals. Based upon that, I'd think something between 15 and 20mins would be the most common.

You'd think it'd be an ideal topic for the Tesla blog, sinceTesla has all of that data.

Reactions: ajdelange
Thank you, smatthew. That is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. Interesting that your average, with many more charges, is very close to mine.

To the others who replied, and to those who 'voted' without a reply, thanks also. A couple of comments:

hugh_jassol: I don't need a "0" or "never" category because people who never charge at SC's have no impact on what goes on at SC's and are, thus, of no interest for the current purpose.

NOLA_Mike and Phlier: We know that the time varies widely and the Monte Carlo simulates variable charging times. But for it to do so in a reasonable way it needs to know some statistics the most fundamental of which is the average charging time and that's why I'm looking for that data. It is available from TeslaFi and, no doubt, other third party applications as well.

According to abetterrouteplanner if you travelled from NYC to LA, in a LR Model 3, you'd only need 24 stops, with an average of 16 mins per stop, shortest 7mins, longest 25mins, and an average of 113miles between Superchargers, shortest 59miles, longest 187miles. Of course, that's presuming no sharing of pedestals. Based upon that, I'd think something between 15 and 20mins would be the most common.
Playing with ABRP is a great idea. But note that it is designed to give you shortest time trip. It would tell me what to expect if everyone followed ABRP's suggestions which I don't do. I've always got some modification to its plans like skipping a SC or using a closer one because there are better eats there or because a particular one has a bad reputation for heavy traffic or because I have a higher than usual head or tail wind... Having people report tells me what drivers actually do. And that includes having to deal with shared stalls. BTW I don't think having to share stalls is as big a deal as it is made out to be. As the guy that got there first charges up his demand will taper and/or he will leave. 62% of responses so far indicate people charge for 25 minutes or less.

You'd think it'd be an ideal topic for the Tesla blog, sinceTesla has all of that data.
You can be sure that Tesla massages this data using more refined algorithms than I do in order to determine whether a station needs more stalls or not and if so how many.

The title says it all. How long do you all typically charge at a super charger? For me it is apparently 28 minutes but I really don't use the things that much and would like to know what is typical.

The reason I am interested is that I have put together a simple Monte Carlo model of what goes on at a Super Charger. The key parameters are how many stalls there are, how fast cars arrive, and how fast they depart. That, of course, depends on how long they stay.

Feel free to put more info into posts but if all you want to do is check a button that's fine too.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks!

99% of the time I charge at home! Obviously, on a long trip 200 miles or more, I will charge at a super charger to about 80% or less on my LR M3.

Interesting study. There is another factor that might impact the results. I believe usage at urban chargers is different than usage at enroute chargers.

From my experience, urban chargers seem to have a higher percentage owners with unlimited lifetime charging versus enroute/highway chargers. They seem to spend longer periods filling up with congestion further exacerbated by slower charging at urban chargers.

For the 9 months, we have had the car, I’ve almost always charged at a local urban charger, except a few times at home and a few times at SCs while traveling.

My urban charges are about 35-40kWh each and takes roughly 30 minutes, just enough time for me to walk to a store in the adjacent shopping center to pick up something.

Further thanks to smatthew for the histogram which didn't appear for a couple of hours after the original post. It is reasonably well fit by the Weibull distribution with shape parameter 2.11 (IOW very close to Rayleigh -scale is 30.4). I had been assuming shape parameter 1 i.e. exponential so this is a major discovery!

You need 2 polls for the 2 types of Superchargers. Soon to be 3 when V3 becomes more widespread.
And also for the different types of cars and for regions and seasons... Obviously not practical nor really necessary for what I am trying to do which is gain a little perspective.

With respect to car type I posted here because there are more 3's out there than anything else and I expected to get more data.

I didn’t answer. For a recent trip I spent ~15 at a 150kW V2 SC and ~30 at 72kW Urban SC.
Your average time at an SC is 22.5 min.

NOLA_Mike and Phlier: We know that the time varies widely and the Monte Carlo simulates variable charging times. But for it to do so in a reasonable way it needs to know some statistics the most fundamental of which is the average charging time and that's why I'm looking for that data. It is available from TeslaFi and, no doubt, other third party applications as well.

Ok - cool. I don't use TeslaFi or other tracking software so I'd have to guess.

Also, Tesla's recent increase from 120 kW to 150 kW has noticeably cut my times at Superchargers. So, whereas I guess I might have averaged 30-35 mins for the first 4 years it might be 20-25 mins now and going forward.

Interesting study. There is another factor that might impact the results. I believe usage at urban chargers is different than usage at enroute chargers.

From my experience, urban chargers seem to have a higher percentage owners with unlimited lifetime charging versus enroute/highway chargers. They seem to spend longer periods filling up with congestion further exacerbated by slower charging at urban chargers.

Interesting observation. As noted in my previous post it would be impractical for me granularize the study to the extent that it distinguishes different types of chargers or cars. As noted I came to the 3 forum because it seems there are more 3's than anything else. 3's don't get lifetime charging so that says you are seeing a lot of older X's and S's. True?