Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long have you waited for a drive unit replacement?

Jsvette56

Feb 25, 2013
Santa Clara
I've been waiting since mid November for my drive unit to be replaced. It clunks pretty loudly at low speeds and has a mild whine at higher speeds. It's a fairly early 2012 model with 42k miles.

If you've had your drive unit replaced I would like to know how long you had to wait.

pchilds

Jan 13, 2016
SoCal
Toyota told me three months for my RAV4 EV, DU replacement. Doesn't seem that bad, if Tesla owners have to wait two plus months.

Last edited:

rundown

Dec 19, 2013
California
I've been waiting since mid November for my drive unit to be replaced. It clunks pretty loudly at low speeds and has a mild whine at higher speeds. It's a fairly early 2012 model with 42k miles.

If you've had your drive unit replaced I would like to know how long you had to wait.

Jsvette,

Have you received your drive unit from Tesla. I'm still waiting since November too. Kind of unacceptable to wait this long.

twonius

Feb 28, 2016
San Diego CA
Hopefully this means you'll get one of the later "fixed" ones instead of a rebuilt earlier rev which might just fail again in another 4 years.

Good luck.

playoutside

Dec 22, 2015
Seattle, WA
If it makes you feel any better it took Fisker 15 months to replace the drive unit on my inoperable Karma!

Luckily Fisker's new owner covered most of the cost and I have sine sold it and am now shopping for a CPO P85.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
My battery has been back to Fremont for a couple of months now to get a leak fixed. I think we are seeing growth problems where not enough attention has been paid to depo level repair. I suspect there is a section in the back of the factory where a few people toil away at these issues (overhauling drive units that are in circulation for swap) and these folks are simply maxed out with little support.

My SC Manager has been very supportive but I suspect the squeak from this wheel (and likely many others) needs to get to Fremont to affect any change.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC