Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long should one wait for a near perfect Model Y to roll off the line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would accept any Y that had misaligned panels up the ying yang as long as there are no paint defects or interior damage.

I’m going to damage it myself. I don’t want it to come that way.
That said, be patient and wait until June 2021.

Got mine last week. Only had passenger side doors slightly misaligned that is rubbing on each other. Have service setup for next week to fix. We went through one of the online check lists and was very happy with our car.

Attachments

• 9181A3B7-8448-41E4-8B31-FCFC28C2A4D4.jpeg
    9181A3B7-8448-41E4-8B31-FCFC28C2A4D4.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 320BCBE6-6562-4D1A-AC93-4FF421B46839.jpeg
    320BCBE6-6562-4D1A-AC93-4FF421B46839.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 59
I picked up my LR AWD Y on 6/27. Very happy with it. I fully expected that I'd have to reject it at the SC given all of the issues I had heard. I drove in and my Y was whispering to me... "take me home"
That is what I did. No service yet. Sadly, i do have a small scratch in it already where someone whacked it. C'est la vie. I get to drive it every day now. Drove it last week at night to go see the comet. It works really well at night. Auto high beams were interesting. The screen go into night mode was also interesting. If you want something perfect, you should probably start building it yourself.

Reactions: mazers
interesting times in the EV world. I have 1800 miles on a Y w/VIN 27xx. I keep going back looking for issues based upon the message boards and twitter and I can't find one thing. I also haven't had to fill up on gas either.
I have a “tinny” kind of rattle from the back right side, only on rough roads, but working to squash it. Anti-rattle tape due in from Amazon today - I like a good project.

picked up mine from Fremont factory on 14 July. No outer defect visible. The single One rear seat is not folding with the switch unless you gently nudge it , which the factory technician said is a 5 min job at the service center. So go ahead and get yours if you are ready.

Reactions: Dennisis
As many have said above, your not going to find the perfect 10/10, but as the months go on, the quality will change. I will argue that Tesla rushed the Model Y launch. They produced way too fast and even produced during the beginning of COVID. From what I have seen, most of the imperfections were immediately fixed by the service center.

if your in the market for a new car, cant go wrong with the Model Y.

Tesla's original purpose was (and still is, I think) to prove that a viable and affordable battery electric could be built. They started to build them because other car companies refused to do so, and now, many years into the game, they are so far ahead of any other major auto manufacturer that there is no possibility of them ever catching up. Ford and GM and Toyota simply play around the edges hoping that their die hard customers won't jump ship and will still buy a Ford or Chevy or Toyo EV, but when their neighbor drives in with their new S,3,X or Y, they see where the problem is.

Tesla literally gave away their patents for years, trying to encourage others to build, but no. Now they are "basically one national dealer", but it's not by design, but default. Other car builders have all their money in gas cars. They can't change, so Tesla has had to fill that niche, a niche with more and more people clamoring to buy that product. Ford and GM and Toyota have the resources to compete with Tesla, but they have no desire, as most people still want to own and drive a gas burner, to pollute and destroy, even though electrics are basically better cars in almost every metric.

So other companies will not work on EV technology any more than they are forced to because they make more PROFIT selling old technology. And I don't think Tesla has suffered AT ALL because of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: raggedy
Battery day is 7 weeks away. Panasonic already announced a 5% power increase is happening in September. Fremont has pulled permits for a new paint booth.

I am waiting for battery day. If paint issues persist, I will wait for the new paint booth to come on line. That said, my wife doesn't need this upgrade as her Model 3 is great and loved by her.

As many have said above, your not going to find the perfect 10/10, but as the months go on, the quality will change. I will argue that Tesla rushed the Model Y launch. They produced way too fast and even produced during the beginning of COVID. From what I have seen, most of the imperfections were immediately fixed by the service center.

if your in the market for a new car, cant go wrong with the Model Y.

my sense is the early VIN's like mine had no issues....but as they rushed and into the pandemic maybe that's where issues arose.

The fact that yall here means

I find it hard pressed for anyone here who regretted getting their MY's
my sense is the early VIN's like mine had no issues....but as they rushed and into the pandemic maybe that's where issues arose.
This is pure speculation on your part. QC flaws were/are a dart throw from the start of production to now. Many happy owners not on this board while many unhappy ones are venting away.

Reactions: Dennisis