Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long should one wait for a near perfect Model Y to roll off the line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model Y in April and after seeing all the paint/ fitment/ seat/ trunk issues that plagued the initial Model Ys that was delivered I decided to postpone taking delivery of my Model Y. So my question to this group is - by when do you guys think we can see Model Y cars rolling off the line that has gone through proper QC and at least some of the initial paint and fitment issues resolved? What does history say - I understand that Model 3 had some of these exact same issues - how long did it take for the Model 3s to be delivered in good condition?

Picked up my MY mid June. Very few issues. Yes, the trim wasn’t perfect but panels were a non issue. One minor paint defect which I touched up myself...undetectable. Paint otherwise was perfect (red). No mechanical or electronic issue. No buzzes, rattles, buffeting, etc. Very pleased...car drives like a dream. So far..so good...1000 miles on odometer.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and Dennisis
There’s no rule to this as others have mentioned and the model 3 rollout was much slower than the Model Y’s so it’s hard to compare.

I bought a 6/18 model 3 which was almost a year after the first cars were produced but it was only in the 35XXX Vin range which I believe the MY has already passed. It was sort of sweet spot where the earlier issues had been corrected (stiff suspension, seat revisions, etc.) and I got unlimited premium connectivity right before that ended, homelink included, all floor mats (including frunk), door pocket lights, auto dimming side mirrors, frunk hooks, solid plastic dead pedal. All of these have subsequently been removed from recent models.

However, I did not receive HW3 (don’t have FSD) and don’t have the quieter cabin (rumored to have been improved end of 2019).

The point is that some things will improve but others may be removed from later models. Tesla makes constant improvements but also tends to relentlessly cost cut and remove features that they believe are worth the trade off.

My fit and finish has been a little spotty but mechanically it has been solid. I am planning on waiting a year from the first Model Y’s were produced. I’m hoping this will give enough time for major early issues to be fixed while understanding that other improvements are inevitable.

It was sort of sweet spot where the earlier issues had been corrected (stiff suspension, seat revisions, etc.) and I got unlimited premium connectivity right before that ended, homelink included, all floor mats (including frunk), door pocket lights, auto dimming side mirrors, frunk hooks, solid plastic dead pedal. All of these have subsequently been removed from recent models.

I'm in that same July 2018 sweet spot (VIN 34XXX). The car has been practically flawless for the past 30,000 miles.

@PNWLeccy i didn’t know they improved cabin noise. Is there any proof/threads of what they did? More sound insulation on doors?

Our 3 is also mid 2018 and nice but no prem connectivity for life.
Our model 3 HVAC blower noise is so loud now when it is like 6 or above. That may have to do with the mouse eating some insulation that I’ve been dealing with!

those small cost cutting things I can care less about though.

the best time to buy a Tesla is wait until you can’t! Ha

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I got my MYP two weeks ago, with a 3/20 build date. I admit I have not measured the panel gaps, but the car was nearly flawless. Perhaps it was a reject that they spruced up? Anyhow, there was only one issue: the automatic rear passenger seat lever didn't work. But after about a week, it started working and we've have no problems since. It's a crazy great car and I can't imagine waiting another year for it because of worries about minor imperfections...

Reactions: Dennisis
That makes me sad.
You’ll wait forever if you’re expecting perfection. Model S delivery forums are still filled with quality issues and it has been in mass production for 7 years.
As much as I prefer the S, its production design and build challenges are of a new manufacturer. The 3/Y should have less quality issues due to manufacturing improvements, current QA negligence aside.

I ordered my Model Y in April and after seeing all the paint/ fitment/ seat/ trunk issues that plagued the initial Model Ys that was delivered I decided to postpone taking delivery of my Model Y. So my question to this group is - by when do you guys think we can see Model Y cars rolling off the line that has gone through proper QC and at least some of the initial paint and fitment issues resolved? What does history say - I understand that Model 3 had some of these exact same issues - how long did it take for the Model 3s to be delivered in good condition?

Don't buy a Tesla, go buy something else. For M3, I bought one year after the launch still issue with alignment and panel gaps. Good luck with your search!

PNWLeccy i didn’t know they improved cabin noise. Is there any proof/threads of what they did? More sound insulation on doors?
Yea many threads about it. Elon confirmed they had “fixed” the loud cabin noise in late 2019 and owners who owned both a 2018 and 2020 model reported it being noticeably quieter.

Unfortunately, what exactly was improved isn’t clear. I wish it was something I could retrofit as I think it is the cars biggest flaw. I’ve added sound deadening to the entire rear and added additional seals to all doors but have noticed minimal, if any, change in road and wind noise.

All other companies have issues but have a middleman that will take care of any little issue because they literally get paid for any flaw they find and fix. Tesla doesn't have the middle man. Lots of positives with that, but this is an area that will probably remain for a while that is a negative.
And at some level those middlemen need to impress, or you’ll go to another middleman, even if that’s another brand. With EVs and Tesla, it’s basically one national dealer with near complete leverage right now.

Although as a shareholder I enjoy Tesla’s superiority in many things, as a consumer and EV enthusiast, the more companies that work on EV technology the better imo.

Reactions: HyperionMark