TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How long to adapt to EV driving style?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by H2050, May 18, 2018.

1. H2050

H2050 Member

I have a slight anxiety right now.

I just received my delivery date, happens in exactly 2 weeks at the Toronto airport, 1 hour Highway Commute.

I panic now because it will be my first time driving EV, not knowing how long to adapt to the regenerative braking style...

Will I get home safely?

2. Monkey

Monkey Member

You’ll realize that you like it within the first 3 to 5 minutes. You’ll be adjusted to it in 10 minutes. Seriously, don’t have anxiety, it’s great.

Have not driven a 3, but have sat in one. We’ve had our X for 2 years and prefer maximum (standard) regen settings with creep mode on. Very easy and pleasant to drive.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

If you're that anxious about it, you can always just set regenerative braking to "Low" until you feel more confident.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  4. trace

trace Member

This is great advice. Also won't hurt to wait or park until traffic dies down.

With that being said I'm very confident you will adjust to it very quickly and won't look back.

5. Gear

Gear Member

There's no reason anything unsafe should happen from the regenerative braking. At worst, you'll stop short of wherever you intended to and might feel a little embarrassed. It took me two stoplights to get used to the idea. I felt a little dumb with the lady that came with me on my test drive pulling up to the first light, but quickly figured I probably wasn't the first one who made that mistake. Of course, perfecting it will take longer than just a few stoplights, but you'll likely get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Just remember that it's not all or nothing and that you can modulate the throttle pedal to get the amount of regen you want. I agree with the others who recommended starting with low until you get used to it.

• Like x 4
  6. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I got used to regen by the third stop sign. No need for anxiety. The only scary thing about regen, for me, is when I have to drive DW's Lexus which free-wheels when one backs off the accelerator. The lack of regen feels to me like spontaneous acceleration, since I am now so accustomed to regen and one-pedal driving.

• Like x 3
  7. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

If you are nervous, turning it off until you are home is good advice. I wasn't able to not occasionally forget the single pedal for a week....especially if you will be going back and forth between ICE and EV. It is not really unsafe, you just look like a new or unsmooth driver.

• Like x 1
  8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

@H2050 - You'll be fine, don't worry. I loaned my Roadster out to people in the past & now my X, with the instructions of 'everything is the same as any other car you've driven, just expect to feel it slow down as you let off the accelerator. And have fun!'.

And they all did / do - and not one has ever had problems because of regen. But most did say they were glad I told them about it. :)

And they all came back with a grin on their face.

Enjoy your new car!

• Like x 3
  9. azred

azred Active Member

You should refuse delivery. These cars burst into flame and kill their occupants. No wonder you panic now.

• Funny x 5
  10. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

The hardest part for me is switching back to ICE cars.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

It's very easy to get used to but takes a little bit to get super smooth. It took me a couple weeks to get rid of all the little jerks. You just have to get the feel for easing off the accelerator to control your braking.

• Like x 2
  12. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

Depending on your style, its really easy. It does seem to scare people behind you i found out. Everytime you let off the pedal, the brake lights come on. That really has cut down on tailgators. I never ease off pedal so i get max regen instantly. I coast up to lites. People who drives adapt instantly and like it.
    You will love the car.

• Like x 1
  13. H2050

H2050 Member

Thank you everyone (except one guy), great advice!!

• Funny x 5
  14. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

The regen isn't strong enough to be dangerous. I've let many people test drive my car, and universally, everyone will let go of the accelerator abruptly, thinking they will coast, even when I tell them in advance that regen is a thing. As the passenger, I consider the regen braking force from that mild.

I think all-in-all, you're going to realize that the accelerator pedal is sofa king amazing, both in how much control you have on the acceleration side, as well as the control you have on the regen side. It really feels like the future.

15. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

@H2050 Have you ever driven a manual transmission ICE? If so, you know that when you take your foot off the accelerator the car starts to slow via engine braking.

Regenerative braking is the same idea/feel. So instead of over using your brake pedal like an automatic, you are able to slow down by lifting off the accelerator.

I've driven multiple MS and I find one foot driving to be natural since I drive manual everyday.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  16. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I got used to the regen about 5 minutes into my test drive. I knew nothing about regen braking when I went for my test drive and it was one of the things that sold me about the car. It is very similar to driving a manual transmission vehicle which I've done my whole life.

• Like x 2
  17. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

#17 EVie'sDad, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    My advice, the first thing you will notice is the single foot deceleration with standard regen, takes a few days to get used to.

The next will be the quick responsiveness of the steering and handling, maybe a week or two to familiarise yourself with. Getting to know the size and dimensions of your car also take a little while, especially when backing into stalls to charge.

Afterwards, becoming comfortable with TACC takes a month or two to relax enough to trust it isn't going to carreen into every object in front of it.

The final piece is being self aware enough with the Autosteering to know when to allow it it steer and when not to. Never ever become complacent thinking you can do anything else while this is enabled, YOU are responsible at all times for your safety and for the safety of those around you. keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. This may take upwards of a year to really master.

You might also find this thread helpful. Coming from an armchair pilots perspective this was enlightening and informative.
    A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot

• Informative x 1
  18. R-123

R-123 Member

Seriously, days, weeks? What are you guys talking about? It's like 15 minutes of slowing down to quickly and after an hour you get used to it and forget anythings different. It's just getting used to the accelerator pedal modulation, that's it. Tesla is still a CAR, not a spaceship.

19. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

That's why the driver like in highway 101 in Mountainview failed to recognize the hazards, even after driving it for four months. No, it's not a spaceship, but it can still kill you if misused. RTFM and understand how the vehicle works first, do not just jump behind the wheel and think you know all I how to operate it. That's why people are administered a drivers test and issued a drivers licence before they are allow to operated these large machines.

20. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

Try a golf cart. Kinda the same idea.
    You get use to it quickly. No worries
    Enjoy the car !

• Like x 1