Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many here actually use the Summon feature on an "almost" daily basis?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife uses daily - summon out and in. She loves it and now I avoid the door dings on the P85 parked next to X

My wife uses it daily too! She drives into the garage herself because we need to park the car about 7 inches from the wall of boxes in the front and summon will stop the car way before that. But come back out, it is summon every day. In fact, I don't think she had ever backed it out of the garage even one time. LOL.

Only used summon a few times to show it to family/friends. A couple of times I really wanted to use it to get in/out of tight spots but it didn't work because here in Europe you can't use the fob and must use the App instead. As you can imagine, the App doesn't work in most underground garages due to the lack of cell signal.

• Informative
Reactions: Superendo
I use it from time to time and worked perfectly everytime, but after the recent .52 update it seems to park or stop well short of where it used to. It also fails to auto open the garage door now whrn backing out. Anyone else see issues? Kind of a bummer, not sure if Tesla would even look in to It?

Ap1 p85+.
Whoops.. in MX I'll post in MS.

Last edited:
I used to use Summon on a daily basis to back out of the garage - I let it open and close the garage door.

However, the inability for Summon to consistently close the garage door after backing itself out makes the feature inconvenient. It sometimes doesn't even make the attempt and it indicates the task was skipped. Also, about 10% of the time, the car wouldn't even make it out of the garage completely.

In addition, Easy Entry kicks into action when the car begins to move, even though no one is in the driver's seat. Then Easy Entry goes through the cycle once again when you get in the car. That adds to unnecessary wear and tear.

Using the key fob to initiate Summon will almost certainly wear out the key fob battery faster. Using the app is far too slow.

Finally, and perhaps most annoying, when using Summon to get out of my garage, my phone receives two notifications advising that Homelink was activated. One is for the car opening the garage door and the second is for closing it. There is no way for me to stop this particular notification unless I disable all notifications for the app. This is one of the reasons I don't use it anymore when I leave the house.

I do actually use Summon to move my car about 30 feet into a shaded parking spot almost every afternoon. I can do this from inside my office. So that's convenient. Except, once in that spot, I can't use Summon to bring it back. Summon seems to have a problem if it senses a slight incline when reversing, so it aborts.

Last edited:
I use summons every day to back out of very short and narrow garage. Easy to put in,1inch clearance with mirrors out, but backing out much tougher. Summons works well but stops so takes a restart to get out. Guess sensors thinks it’s going to hit.

We had been summoning ours out of the garage everyday, but always with the garage door opened. So if the door is closed, would it opens the garage door and wait until it is fully open before backing up? I am a little afraid to try LOL.
Hey sorry missed this notification. Yes it will open your garage and not move till completely fine. Just have to have homelink set up. When I don’t have it plugged in I can have it ready in driveway while still getting ready. Pretty neat!

I use it occasionally if I park nose in and need access to my frunk, also, I assume people are watching too. My kids will mouth: dads showing off again (they think it’s cool) but honestly it would be so much faster to get in and back up a couple feet.
I stopped using it in the garage after it cut the wheels hard right and started moving toward my wall. My heart raced and I let go the “forward” button but the car still moved several inches which seemed like a mile in that tight garage slot.

Reactions: FlyF4
I don’t use it regularly, but it can be quite handy. My wife used it recently for the first time when she came back to the car in a parking lot and found someone had parked very close to her driver side. She summoned it out of the space, to the amazement of her friends.

I was at the ATM and I was having problems with my card. I was in a hurry so I parked in the red. In front of me was a guy was sitting in his car. He pulled out within a min or so and I was still working on getting money out. At about that moment I see a meter maid gal do a u-e and come down the street my way. I quickly pulled up the Tesla app (It magically opened quickly) and just as she was starting to get out of her car (to give me a ticket) I drove the car it into the meter spot in front that still had time. The meter lady thought someone was in the car and simply got back in her car and drove away.
I love that story! :D