Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are electric cars only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S plus one of the first 2011 Nissan Leafs (pre-Fukoshima) powered by an 18kw solar array here.

We do have a 10 year old Minivan that my wife won't let me sell. We haven't driven it in ages, and the battery needs topping off about every 2 weeks to keep it from going dead. We let our kids borrow it, and that's about all. They pay for the gas.

For snow blowers, my wife wants me to try the Boring Company Flamethrower.

The Model S 70D has been reliable enough that I now feel comfortable selling the Jeep I have, and getting a Winnebago Revel (it's a converted 4x4 Sprinter Van). Sadly we're likely 5 years away from an all electric Class B style Camper Van (at least in terms of good range/supercharging/etc).

I am pretty addicted to electric speed.

I jokingly say I got a Boosted Board, but the range wasn't enough so I got a pedal assist mountain bike. I still wasn't satisfied so I got a Tesla.

But, then I got a Stromer Electric Bike after the Tesla so it messed that up. I got that because I was frustrated with traffic, and it's sometimes quicker to get to work on the Stromer than it is driving.

I'm hoping my next electric vehicle (aside from a Tesla) will be a Side-by-side UTV like the Nikola UTV.

Thanks for all the replies, for those who have electric snow blowers, what brand did you purchase and how do you like it?
I will have one of those by next winter for sure.

I too have electric mower and trimmer. All my parts for my 7.5kw solar system are in the garage waiting for spring and the snow to melt.

Up until two days ago we had something very similar to this: Toro Power Curve 18 in. 15 Amp Electric Snow Blower-38381 - The Home Depot
We had it for 7 or 8 years and it worked great anytime we had 3 or more inches of snow. Under that we typically shoveled.
We did have issues with the safety bar/button no longer working. Gave it to a friend who is more mechanically inclined than me and it is working again.
Tomorrow our new snow blower arrives. Power+ Snow Blower
Frankly, the cord on the original snow blower was a drawback for me. The EGO uses the same batteries as the lawn mower we use. With no cords to worry about, I am expecting to like it a lot. But since I haven’t used it yet I can’t give you a review yet.

For all my electric tools, I have to say I love not needing to hassle with gas, oil, stale gas, etc. :)

We have our '14 Model S, and our recently purchased Model 3 for all our driving ... except that we still have our 1967 Mercury Cougar that I drive once per month just for giggles. I drive maybe 150 miles per year with the Cougar.

We have not weaned ourselves completely from fossil fuels. Our heating and stove top are natural gas. Maybe electric water heaters are better nowadays, but in the past they just were not as efficient or as cheap to operate. Similarly, gas cook tops heat up much faster, and they cool off much faster once the flame is extinguished. Neither of us like the newer electric stoves with the glowing surface.

Similarly, gas cook tops heat up much faster, and they cool off much faster once the flame is extinguished. Neither of us like the newer electric stoves with the glowing surface.
Look into induction ranges. They are way more efficient than gas and are so much safer and they are not just electric ranges. They heat your cookware instead of the burner. We can boil water in 90 seconds, faster than the microwave! We'll never go back to a gas range!

Reactions: cpa and GatorGuy
Sold my last ICE car just over two years ago. I do about 19,000 miles a year in my S60, most of it long road trips.

Not completely ICE free though: my small 16 inch chainsaw goes through about two gallons of gas a year. I'll replace it with an electric chainsaw when it dies but it is a Stihl and just keeps on going and going, despite many years of heavy use in thinning the forest on my lot for fire mitigation purposes.

For clearing the snow off my 400 foot driveway, I do it the old fashioned way:

Driveway looking up1855sf 1-25-17.jpg

Driveway looking down1856sf 1-25-17.jpg

Last edited:
We peaked at four simultaneous drivers in the house, and starting 1/1/12 with our LEAF, the mantra has been "most efficient vehicle leaves the driveway first" which assured both high LEAF utilization (17k mi/yr in the first few years) as well as subtly preaching the gospel of EVs within the family and all with whom we came into contact. We leased a second LEAF, but have since turned that back in while awaiting Model 3. By the time Model Y is available, our household will be down to two drivers, and we will squarely be 3+Y with our eldest child already on the hunt for a 'vintage' S (2012/13...S85...$35k budget...mileage irrelevant) so that when he moves to Houston this summer he can be thumbing his nose at the oil industry on a daily basis. I can say with confidence that there is a 100% chance that I am personally done with ICE vehicles...I can't fathom any reason to own one anymore; TCO is wayyyy too high. Getting our elder daughter into an EV will require a full-size EV pickup to be available when she completes vet school (large animal) in 2023. And the third child? Who knows...how long will her 2012 Jeep last?!

All electric since April 2015 when we leased an e-Golf. A Model 3 will replace it as soon as we can get it. I have resolved that I will have to pay another year of registration on it and extend the lease to buy Tesla some more time to deliver our car. I made a pre-reveal in-store reservation, but still haven't been invited to configure.
Our other car is a 2012 RAV4 EV that is about to reach 5 years and 50,000 miles.
The RAV4 replaced a manual 4 cylinder 2005 Honda Accord. The e-Golf replaced a 2001 "New" Passat GLX Wagon.

As for me, I don't need a second vehicle very often. Just not worth the cost. The Bollinger to replace the Tesla? No. Not gonna happen.

I could get a Model X 100D to replace the MS75D and tow a utility trailer, which would take care of my needs for utility hauling. But not 2nd car or offroad use cases -- I'd still need the ICEs. I just can't justify spending another $60K for that little bit of functionality that I can do with the ICE functionality I already have. I'll have to continue buying the 3-4 tanks of gas per year I currently do. I pay a LOT more for the liability insurance for those things than I do for fuel.

Definitely agree it could not replace the Tesla! Just wondering if it would work as the local utility vehicle. I guess we're pretty early in contemplating this as it'll be a few years before we see anything shipping.

I'll wait and see what Tesla comes up with. No supercharging with Bollinger.

I was thinking only of local, utility, use but I guess if one is thinking of traveling with a boat/trailer/etc, you are quite correct. Unless combo chargers become ubiquitous this becomes a major issue. What with the plethora of companies involved it'll be surprising to see anything happen for 5 years or more. Too much bureaucracy! Hopefully Tesla will have their pickup out by then!