Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you are opting for SR?

Skipping LR for SR?

• Already skipped the configuration LR invite for SR (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I have not been invited to configure but will skip LR for SR and wait around. (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I have not been invited to configure but will go for LR and not wait for SR (Non Dual Motors)

Votes: 60 44.8%
  • Skipping the invite for Dual Motors SR

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Skipping the invite for Dual Motors LR

Votes: 13 9.7%
  • Will patiently wait for Performance Dual Motors. Not caring about 7.5K tax credit.

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised that still there are a lot of people going for Standard battery.

Despite how some of you guys advise, I think I am not convinced why I would need LR as there will be more superchargers in between in Southern CA. I guess if this was the only electric car, no doubt I would choose LR.

$36,000 with Silver Metallic or White Multicoat. (Or standard solid black for $35,000)
-$7,500 Federal Tax (hopefully before the end of Q2)
-$2,500 CA State Rebate
-$450 Edison Rebate
Even with the sales tax, this is less than $28,000. Which is like the Camry, Accord price for the premium electric drive. As an amateur hypermiler (Model S 75D ~300 miles, Model X 100D ~330 Miles), I should be able to squeeze the battery 250 miles in a pinch.

I like the price tag on this one. For $28,000 car, I am quite positive that the most average Americans can afford this.

And I gotta start saving for the Roadster 2020. So sticking with SR.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
Answered the poll : performance long range dual motor, because I have an alter-ego "Mr F*CK IT" that comes out time to time... :cool:

My wife may decide to keep her Model S 85, then we wouldn't need two long range EV's, as my commute is 40 km daily and well within the range of my Smart Electric.

Model X 75D owners in Ontario Canada (including @Trev Page from M3OC) have similar range to the Model 3 SR, so it's not like LR is a requirement in cold climates, it's still a nice to have option, but not strictly necessary.

However, our typical mid-distance round trip is 240 km in the winter, which at left lane speeds takes our S85 down to 10% starting from ~90% state of charge. A Model 3 SR driven in the same manner will require a charging stop, which can be an inconvenience in the winter.

Reactions: Maximilien
Some thoughts. This Model 3 will be my 3rd Tesla and my experience with the Tesla has been mostly positive so far. We have never had any drive train related issue which I classify as "fatal" but do have quite a few quirks which I will classify as cold/flu symptoms. Since the electric car is much simpler, I do expect less mechanical/fatal issues in the long run. One thing also you do want to consider is the unavoidable fact that in 10 years, you will see some charge hold degradation probably in the low teen percentage. So your 220 mile car may become 195 RM car.

I also concur with the other poster that once you get the car, you will be driving it everywhere regardless. A friend of ours just returned his leased Model S with 110k on it, (He did pay dearly) and he has no regret as the car was really enjoyable to him. I just hope that the SuperCharger experience will not become unbearable once the mass of Model 3 starts to hit the road. But with the LR Model 3, it seems like I will be able to drive from SF Bay Area to LA area with only one charge stop so it may help lessen the pain if we ever have to wait.

Off-topic, but...

I find it very interesting the various opinions of Tesla’s quality on this board. On one side of the spectrum there’s the people like you who say Tesla’s are very high quality that will last for decades. On the other side there’s the people who are convinced that a 3 year lease is the only way to go since you can get rid of it before it starts falling apart at the slightest touch. As I hope to keep my Model 3 for at least 10 years I’m hoping you’re correct...

Back on topic - if you’re really only going to drive around town with it then the value of the LR is decreased. You still get the faster acceleration, quicker charging, and better battery warranty - all of which are probably not as important for an “around town” car. If I were in that position then the tax credit would be the only major consideration. I’d be willing to bet that the bigger battery would be worth at least $3750 on resale if waiting for SR puts the tax credit on the line.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8