Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is why all this “Tesla changing the Truck game” is laughable…..

I ask again, how many truck guys work at Tesla
I agree. CT is a Musk vanity product. He was presented a range of options and he picked the most outragous. I feel it will sell well, but its hardly the vehicle to transition traditional pickup owners to EV. Besides being weird it won't accept the many mods truck users expect.

The Rivian R1T is mostly purchased by non-truck owners, CT will probably be the same. It works just fine as a large two row SUV.

I feel that Tesla sales will increasingly be limited by design. CT is too weird. The 3/Y/X "bean on wheels" is increasingly uninteresting. The oldness of the core design is showing in S/X sales.

I have a CT on order that may replace my R1T in a couple of years. I'm a performance and software buyer and I expect the CT to be excellent in those categories. But I'm not buying a CT in a couple of years if owning one is still "making a statement".

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Some would say, that getting a Mars Rover for anywhere near this price, would be reason enough to get one :)

Elon mentioned that this would not be for everyone, but for many it will be irrestibal.

Traditional buyers, of course would opt for the Ford or Chevy, but Elon is out to change the World.

Reactions: Hank42
I would really hope that the original expectation that Dual motor is somewhere between 50K to 70K USD.

Maybe, but consider air suspension, usable air compressor, 120V inverter, 18" screen, rear screen, hardware 4, 100 kwh battery for 300 miles, expensive tires, armor glass, and one or two extras we are not expecting. For the size and features dual motor 300 mile for $79K is a good price. That allows Tesla to capture the tax credit and the buyer effectively pay $72K.

The $80K tax credit limit seems to be the magic number. While Tesla can probably sell the quad profitably at that level I don't see the point of foregoing extra margin..

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Maybe, but consider air suspension, usable air compressor, 120V inverter, 18" screen, rear screen, hardware 4, 100 kwh battery for 300 miles, expensive tires, armor glass, and one or two extras we are not expecting. For the size and features dual motor 300 mile for $79K is a good price. That allows Tesla to capture the tax credit and the buyer effectively pay $72K.

The $80K tax credit limit seems to be the magic number. While Tesla can probably sell the quad profitably at that level I don't see the point of foregoing extra margin..

Am I remembering wrong? I thought it was going to have 240 volt available.

Reactions: doghousePVD

That would be my thought too a year ago, but the Model Y LR price now is $53k instead of some $70k as it could still sell for.
Tesla is still pretty much a growth company, and their major goal seems to be keep increasing the volumes and eventually drive most existing players into the bankruptcy. For several years, Tesla will optimize sales growth instead of profit maximization. So we may see a not-so-expensive CT after all.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
That would be my thought too a year ago, but the Model Y LR price now is $53k instead of some $70k as it could still sell for.
Tesla is still pretty much a growth company, and their major goal seems to be keep increasing the volumes and eventually drive most existing players into the bankruptcy. For several years, Tesla will optimize sales growth instead of profit maximization. So we may see a not-so-expensive CT after all.
The Model Y is now down to the $50Ks because that is where demand matches capacity. Tesla is willing to adjust price weekly if necessary.

Tesla's pricing last year of the MYP at $70K suggests the CT will have the a high price as long as the CT order queue is deep.

Tesla has also been willing to greatly vary the model X price dependent on demand.

The preorder queue for CT is very likely the longest for any vehicle. A large part of that queue is likely people who hope they can afford a $40K Cybertruck. But even removing that group likely leaves a very large number of higher end buyers.

The Model Y is now down to the $50Ks because that is where demand matches capacity. Tesla is willing to adjust price weekly if necessary.
It is because Tesla wants to increase capacity. Its plans are NOT to sit at the current capacity as far as we can see.
Tesla's pricing last year of the MYP at $70K suggests the CT will have the a high price as long as the CT order queue is deep.
The preorder queue for CT is very likely the longest for any vehicle. A large part of that queue is likely people who hope they can afford a $40K Cybertruck. But even removing that group likely leaves a very large number of higher end buyers.
Why? Tesla will be in some competition with Rivian and F-150 EV, so then need to have prices lower to (1) be competitive and (2) grow volume. Remember, the $100 reservations have been made at prices starting at $40k, and $50k for a dual motor 300+ mi version. How many will accept delivery at $79,950 I don't know, but my guess is that this will significantly slow down the ramp up.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Reactions: CyberGus
My friend works at Gigafactory Texas, they have 2 prototype Cybertrucks there already from California. New equipment arrived recently including a 9,000 ton press. Early stages still but it's happening.
Okay. It sounds as a valuable source of information. That said, the concept of 'NOW' seems to be greatly overvalued.

CT is a freak show, it's shame really because I cannot think of another EV manufacturer other than Tesla who has the capability to scale a proper 3/4 ton truck that would tow trailers, have a full size bed, be able to power any electric tools on the job and appeal to the work truck population with an under 80k price tag

CT is a freak show, it's shame really because I cannot think of another EV manufacturer other than Tesla who has the capability to scale a proper 3/4 ton truck that would tow trailers, have a full size bed, be able to power any electric tools on the job and appeal to the work truck population with an under 80k price tag

Ford and Rivian already do that.

Reactions: FLRifleman
Not quite, need a little more room in the bed and more towing capacity to be able to make the switch, contractors like myself have occasion to tow 10,000 lb trailers and need more room than a 5 1/2 foot bed.
My R1T has an 11,000 lb tow capacity and I routinely pull a 10,000 lb hydraulic trailer. No need for a bigger bed when I can trailer whatever I need.

Attachments

• IMG_8278.jpeg
    IMG_8278.jpeg
    856.8 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: T3SLAROD and Genie
My R1T has an 11,000 lb tow capacity and I routinely pull a 10,000 lb hydraulic trailer. No need for a bigger bed when I can trailer whatever I need.
By that logic why even have a bed? a 54" bed is not really usable for me, often times the trailer is full of trash after a clean up and/or demo, sometimes material for a block wall is in there or lumber for framing (I'm not unloading all that!) and other parts are needed to keep the job moving, multiple trailers are not an option so really just need a normal size bed for 90% of the parts I need to chase and the trailer for the rest of the stuff.

Different individuals will, of course have different needs. There will still be a need for a huge diesel truck to get the job done.

For others, the Cybertruck will offer a bunch of utility for a reasonable price.

Just showing up at a job site with a Cybertruck will get the attention of everybody :)

Plugging in a Welder or air compressor will give additional capabilites as well.

Reactions: T3SLAROD and SO16