Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is specific to the OP topic of who's gonna buy a Cybertruck; why's and wherefore's about buying one are on topic.

Debate over what the details of final features will be at launch, how diff from the concept announcement in 2019, etc. is very much off topic.

Wish the moderators would just delete the off topic posts and make the thread useful for those who come here for the subject topic. @moderator

Agreed, even though I am guilty of it as well. Perhaps the people that post with certainty about anything we cannot document should be pulled. We can verify the size, the 4 wheel steering, the seating, the lighting, we can't verify the price, the power, the range, the features. Although if someone does prune the thread it's gonna be as weird to read as threads where I have blocked users that were trolling it

regarding the "they have so many pre-orders they'll be busy dealing with those for YEARS before any new orders can be serviced..."

well ... the Model 3 had around 500k pre-orders (back then it cost you $1,000 to pre-order I think) and less than 12 months after production start you could order and receive a Model 3 with minimal wait time.

Adding that the cheapest CT option won't be offered anytime soon and the vehicle likely will be ~$70k isn't going to help with many pre-orders.
Pre-order a $40k CT RWD and be offered a ~$70k CT AWD in an environment with 6%+ car loan interest rates...
You really cannot compare the ramp of the M3 to the CT in any way. Elon outright said openly on the last earnings call that he really needed to temper expectations with regard to the complexity and ramp for the CT. That it's a truly unique vehicle with a lot of mass production challenges that remain unresolved. He literally said it's going to be 18-24 months to accomplish any major ramp. And we all know Elon is somewhat aggressive with timelines yes? So figure that's really more like 24-48 months depending in the extent of the challenges which we don't yet know much about. There was even a question on the earnings call about the time to ramp the upcoming robotaxi model and again, Elon said ramping something like the robotaxi is very easy when compared to a vehicle like the CT. Elon did his level best to reset expectations with regard to the CT ramp and the challenges that are still outstanding for mass production.

I think the pricing is also going to be a limiting factor for many non-fanboy buyers given higher interest rates and higher prices - which are predicted to be around $98k for the trimotor (if you believe a recent X post from a buyer due to take delivery on 11/30) and perhaps $10-15k less for the dual motor variant. That's a lot more than many were prepared to pay when they made their reservations back in 2019.

Specific to the OPs question, I'm just hoping that the dual motor variant falls under the 80k tax credit cap for my part - since that's the model I reserved way back when - and I doubt I will follow through on any purchase that doesn't include the federal tax credit incentive. So my answer as to whether I will follow through on the CT purchase will largely be dependent upon the pricing announced on 11/30.

So what is it? Care to share? It sounds like you have some insider information
For anyone who follows the YT channels that closely track Tesla - the updated VIN reports sent to NHTSA already indicate only two CT models:

From the below graphic we can clearly tell that there will be a dual motor and trimotor CT variant - and that the GVWR for the dual motor will be between 8001-9000 lbs and for the trimotor 9001-10000 lbs. This doesn't tell us what the actual payload ratings are since we don't yet know the actual weight of either variant. Nor do we yet know the real world tow ratings.

1698772354797.png

the GVWR for the
dual motor will be between 8001-9000 lbs and for the
trimotor 9001-10000 lbs.
This doesn't tell us what the actual payload ratings are since we don't yet know the actual weight of either variant. Nor do we yet know the real world tow ratings.
Re: Rogan interview
Twitter: Sawyer Merritt
NEWS: @elonmusk says the Cybertruck weighs up to 7,000 lbs (depending on trim).

So if we assume that the trimotor variant weighs 7k lbs - then with a 9-10k GVWR - that would equate to a 2-3k payload. If the trimotor actually has a larger battery pack that adds more weight to the trimotor variant when compared to the dual motor with a 8-9k GVWR - if we assume the smaller battery pack weights a bit less - then perhaps the dual motor payload would come in between 1500-2500 lbs. Pure speculation of course - and we're talking Musk here of course. :cool: We also don't know what he means by "depending on trim" either.

Reactions: scottf200
so it weighs about the same as the F150 Lightning (which is just under 7k lbs pending trim) and ever so slightly less than the Rivian which clocks in around 7.1k. This also means there's virtually zero chance folks will see the 400-500 miles range they are dreaming about. you can't pack 220 kwh of batteries into a vehicle of that size and still be under 7k lbs. Silverado EV for example is over 8k lbs....

damn...thats pretty hefty right? Ford F150 weights up to 5700 lbs i believe.
Yeah but when we compare it to other EV pickups - like the R1T or Silverado EV, Hummer EV or the F150 Lightning - that weight is not at all surprising - especially since he's likely referring to the trimotor CT with a larger battery pack and three motors. The R1T weighs at least 7000lbs and on up depending on the size of the battery pack. The Silverado EV with the big pack (213kw) weighs around 8500 lbs, and the Hummer EV weighs around 9000 lbs. The F150 Lightning is the lightest of the EV pickups coming in between 6000-6900 lbs depending on battery pack size. So if we compare the trimotor CT at 7k lbs to the top end Platinum F150 at 6900 lbs and the R1T at 7100+lbs, the CT is right in the same ballpark at least in theory. Guess we'll all find out in about a month! :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Yeah but when we compare it to other EV pickups - like the R1T or Silverado EV, Hummer EV or the F150 Lightning - that weight is not at all surprising - especially since he's likely referring to the trimotor CT with a larger battery pack and three motors. The R1T weighs at least 7000lbs and on up depending on the size of the battery pack. The Silverado EV with the big pack (213kw) weighs around 8500 lbs, and the Hummer EV weighs around 9000 lbs. The F150 Lightning is the lightest of the EV pickups coming in between 6000-6900 lbs depending on battery pack size. So if we compare the trimotor CT at 7k lbs to the top end Platinum F150 at 6900 lbs and the R1T at 7100+lbs, the CT is right in the same ballpark at least in theory. Guess we'll all find out in about a month! :cool:

Goop point...I guess the up to 7000lbs (depending on trim) doesn't tell us all too much since we don't know the range (battery size). For example, if the 7000lbs trim is a tri motor with 450 mile+ range then it would be a very impressive weight (relative to other EV trucks), but if the range is only 300 miles with a smaller battery and still weighs 7,000lbs, then not so good.

Goop point...I guess the up to 7000lbs (depending on trim) doesn't tell us all too much since we don't know the range (battery size). For example, if the 7000lbs trim is a tri motor with 450 mile+ range then it would be a very impressive weight (relative to other EV trucks), but if the range is only 300 miles with a smaller battery and still weighs 7,000lbs, then not so good.
exactly this. *if* the Cybertruck is rated ~350 miles and weighs ~7k lbs... then it would be very unimpressive given that the AWD F150 Lightning is (conservatively) rated 320 miles and weighs the same...

exactly this. *if* the Cybertruck is rated ~350 miles and weighs ~7k lbs... then it would be very unimpressive given that the AWD F150 Lightning is (conservatively) rated 320 miles and weighs the same...

I agree and I am starting to feel like that is what will happen. The tri motor will only have 350 max, and weigh 7000lbs, which will be disappointing to me.

For me, someone that has never owned a truck, I don’t want a CT unless it is a step change to what’s out there and is priced for a great value. With the unconventional look, it needs to look like that for a reason other than to just look different.

I agree and I am starting to feel like that is what will happen. The tri motor will only have 350 max, and weigh 7000lbs, which will be disappointing to me.

For me, someone that has never owned a truck, I don’t want a CT unless it is a step change to what’s out there and is priced for a great value. With the unconventional look, it needs to look like that for a reason other than to just look different.
but but but .... you can fire 9mm up to .45 ACP pistol rounds into the doors and they don't penetrate! that's a great sales pitch ... lol

so it weighs about the same as the F150 Lightning (which is just under 7k lbs pending trim) and ever so slightly less than the Rivian which clocks in around 7.1k. This also means there's virtually zero chance folks will see the 400-500 miles range they are dreaming about. you can't pack 220 kwh of batteries into a vehicle of that size and still be under 7k lbs. Silverado EV for example is over 8k lbs....

If seems if they can match Rivian's efficiency then they could do 500 with ~175 kWh. That would seem with ideal conditions tho.
Sadly I don't think they will put out a 450-500 early because of the battery supply limits. I would rather see a 200 kWh
as I don't think Cd, as example, is going to matter when you are towing a camper or rectangular trailer.

58Sf1t4.jpg

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Elon stressed multiple times that he didn't feel like over 400 miles was necessary on JRE.
It will be for towing ... however, between battery supply constraints and years of preorders there is no reason to introduce a 500 mile trim right now ... as soon as another manufacturer starts successfully selling a mass produced truck with 500 miles of range, Tesla will answer in kind instantly, guaranteed.