Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many of you will/may transition to CyberTruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well there you go. Seems like they beat Tesla to the market again.
And by years.... It's funny how people (some) want to compare the Rivian (or Lightening) to the Cybertruck, when the Rivian/Lightning design is three years or more than the Cybertruck. That's like comparing my new Android Fold5 to an iPhone 11 (which still may win!). So, Telsa had plenty of time to copy (like the Range Extender) and best Rivian's/Ford's offering, price and features. In some ways, being, "last to market," could be considered an advantage.

Why? Look how many people are dancing in the streets because they think the Cybertruck (to be delivered next year) is better than all of the in production for three years competition.... 🤣

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If you compare the AWD Cybertruck to the AWD F150 Lightning… apples to apples vehicles… then you will see that the Lightning has similar range, towing, payload, acceleration plus a more spacious cabin plus a huge frunk but can be picked up right now for around $72k *today* (in the Lariat trim !) and is a 2yr old vehicle not even designed as a pure EV platform. Meanwhile the Cybertruck is $79k+ and who knows when you will be able to get one…. So yeah… a tad underwhelming in terms of cost/value
I hear ya, but the CT does have a few convenience issues I actually prefer - it comes down to preferences. I like the adjustable ride height, shorter turning radius, quicker charge time and availability of SC network, dog mode, park and warm it in my garage etc. I'm not dissing Ford, heck I own one (have owned a half dozen Ford trucks) but I'll be switching it out whenever the CT is available to me. I own another Tesla and some of those things are very easy to get used to.

I hear ya, but the CT does have a few convenience issues I actually prefer - it comes down to preferences. I like the adjustable ride height, shorter turning radius, quicker charge time and availability of SC network, dog mode, park and warm it in my garage etc. I'm not dissing Ford, heck I own one (have owned a half dozen Ford trucks) but I'll be switching it out whenever the CT is available to me. I own another Tesla and some of those things are very easy to get used to.
Yes. There are several features I do like about the CT as far as not worrying about scratches and dents, the maneuverability, and the look. If it was just a normal pickup, I simply wouldn’t care for it as much.

I think my vanity plate will be: H8 IT? GFY

Yes. There are several features I do like about the CT as far as not worrying about scratches and dents, the maneuverability, and the look. If it was just a normal pickup, I simply wouldn’t care for it as much.

I think my vanity plate will be: H8 IT? GFY
What’s your view on the SS refrigerator like fingerprint magnet syndrome?! 🤣

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cal1 and SO16
And by years.... It's funny how people (some) want to compare the Rivian (or Lightening) to the Cybertruck, when the Rivian/Lightning design is three years or more than the Cybertruck. That's like comparing my new Android Fold5 to an iPhone 11 (which still may win!). So, Telsa had plenty of time to copy (like the Range Extender) and best Rivian's/Ford's offering, price and features. In some ways, being, "last to market," could be considered an advantage.

Why? Look how many people are dancing in the streets because they think the Cybertruck (to be delivered next year) is better than all of the in production for three years competition.... 🤣

Yeah for sure. I can see the fans being happy because they finally get a Tesla Car with a Bed.

But think about it. Is the Cyberbeast worth $10k more than a Platinum Lightning?

We will find out once the towing, range and hauling test start.

Again, I think these will sell but eventually a bull will end up in Tesla used inventory once they figure out that they are better off in a Y or X.

Off topic, but this image keeps popping into my mind as I read many of these posts:

5393286076_2476c48fe6.jpg

It’s weird, and I can’t explain it.

It almost seems like it’s a natural law. The more positive hype about something exists, there must be an equal and opposite level against it to balance the natural order of things.
IMO Tesla has nobody to blame for this other than themselves.

Had they set reasonable and attainable expectations from the beginning instead of vaporware lies to build hype for four years, I think the whole delivery event and published specs would actually be pretty well received.

But they didn’t. They sold everyone on a set of goods and promises that they flatly failed to deliver. The people who believed them (despite all available evidence to the contrary) are rightly disappointed.

IMO Tesla has nobody to blame for this other than themselves.

Had they set reasonable and attainable expectations from the beginning instead of vaporware lies to build hype for four years, I think the whole delivery event and published specs would actually be pretty well received.

But they didn’t. They sold everyone on a set of goods and promises that they flatly failed to deliver. The people who believed them (despite all available evidence to the contrary) are rightly disappointed.
The price is high. This will come down.

The dual motor more than meets original specs. (Except price.)

The tri is expensive for what you get although the range extender does get somewhat close albeit not ideal how it works. The tri is the bigger disappointment because towing is 11k vs 14k.

Yes again, the price is high. Dual is inline with competition. Price will come down.

But they also did do several new impressive things like the steering, 48 V, speed performance. Maybe they should have just taken a plaid frame, double battery pack size and slapped the CT body on it for a crappier but cheaper result? I don’t think so.

Tesla made a mistake posting the original prices and pulled a Rivian.

My guess is that 4680 hasn’t panned out quite like they thought.

In a few years, this “fiasco” will be meaningless. Just like the Model 3 production hell now is. CT will ultimately do well.

Last edited:
TessP100D,
At 10 feet tall and 20 feet long I'm afraid it wouldn't fit in our garage and they also don't make any mention of the tow capacity. And they only refer to "other fleet customers" as their new market. I have my request in to my Ford dealership for a Transit van but they have informed me that they are not aware of any plans in the works for anything like what I am after although they did express a demand from other customers.
Beasts

In November of 2018 the Plaid Model X was $140k today with autopilot it costs about $101k. And if I remember before that you could pay $150k for a fully loaded X without FSD.

The price will come down for the CT significantly in the future and it will be interesting to see how everyone reacts when that happens.
The Cybertruck AWD could drop 10% today and still would be priced parity with how much a F150 lightning AWD in lariat trim costs right now.
plus if true and their volume will be less than 50k next year… don’t expect price drops before 2025…

Reactions: jebinc