Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many rims scraped at Broadway charger exit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just devirginised my wonderful 21" turbine rims, front left, scraped at the bloody tight exit at the (criminally narrow) Broadway charger. Made the approach at a shallower angle than usual today, which should be easier to navigate or so I thought. Never scraped a rim on any of my cars in over 1.5 million km of driving. To say I'm PO'd is an understatement...

Any other victims of this terribly constructed exit here?

• Funny
Reactions: paulp
So I just devirginised my wonderful 21" turbine rims, front left, scraped at the bloody tight exit at the (criminally narrow) Broadway charger. Made the approach at a shallower angle than usual today, which should be easier to navigate or so I thought. Never scraped a rim on any of my cars in over 1.5 million km of driving. To say I'm PO'd is an understatement...

Any other victims of this terribly constructed exit here?
Havn’t been there, but a good wheel repairer will fix it in no time. The wife is a regular customer.

• Funny
Reactions: smalltownguy
Thanks guys for all your commiserations and very helpful suggestions - I hadn't even thought of reversing out, but that would be a good option indeed! Has anyone had a noteworthy experience with any of the Sydney based rim rash repairers?

Had a wheel repaired on my Tesla rental from last November.

Wheel repair invoice.JPG

I’m contemplating reversing out of the main access driveway before proceeding forward to the exit boom gates. It’d give me plenty of opportunity to enter the boom gate straight on.
That would be impossible to do anywhere near closing time. The queue of cars waiting to get out is a sight to behold. Once it took me over half an hour to exit after parking on the 8th level.

Even at normal times, you often are at the mercy of the kindness of those exiting to leave you enough space to enter the line.

4 days in we decided to go use a supercharger for the fun of it, got done exiting both right rear and front left, was a pretty bad time. Had some guys come out and repaired it at work a few days later for $260 (proautorepairs.com.au/ not affiliated or anything, but they did an awesome job and can't see where the damage was) so wasn't end of the world. We have since gone back since and just took our time and took it wider and seemed to do okay, but it is terrible exit point.

That would be impossible to do anywhere near closing time. The queue of cars waiting to get out is a sight to behold. Once it took me over half an hour to exit after parking on the 8th level.

Entirely fair point. I’m only ever there at 2am.

However, have you tried stepping out of the car, standing in and blocking the driveway, then reverse your car there using Summon? Then climb in and drive out ;-)

I’ve taken to using summon to replace the anti-ICE traffic cones at Westfield Miranda. We need to block the space with the cone upon leaving (and move it upon arriving). Much easier to summon the car forward 5 metres, and then replace the cone, before climbing in. It’s a straight summon, not a smart summon, so it’s not difficult.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok and baillies
A bit off topic, but if you drive to the roof of the Broadway carpark (level 10 or 11 I think it is) there’s quite a spectacular view of the city. I’ve only ever needed to go up to the roof a couple of times due to the carpark being close to full.

Its really not that hard and no need to reverse out, just keep as far left as possible then turn into the first (right) lane. Put side mirror full tilt down and watch the rear rim clearance as you turn.

I do agree with you, just new car problems i think, used to my 99 Camry not being as wide. Went back the second time and just swung it wide and was easy. Just a lesson to take on board

I cleared that exit a dozen times or so without scraping anything through the far lane exit, gives more room to straighten out. And like I said, 1.5m km without a single scrape driven, so I'm not exactly in the habit of not having my vehicle dimensions under control. The near side exit was always very tight. On this occasion I had about 2cm to spare on the right rear, and (evidently) scraped the front left on that stupid curb island that is way larger than it needs to be.

I cleared that exit a dozen times or so without scraping anything through the far lane exit, gives more room to straighten out. And like I said, 1.5m km without a single scrape driven, so I'm not exactly in the habit of not having my vehicle dimensions under control. The near side exit was always very tight. On this occasion I had about 2cm to spare on the right rear, and (evidently) scraped the front left on that stupid curb island that is way larger than it needs to be.

Total crap location....made an idoit of myself getting out Model X with the 22inch wheels out of that carpark around XMAS....refuse to ever go there again...plain ridiculous. Didn't stuff the wheels but boy was it a challenge...

Provided it’s between 5am and midnight, the chargers at East Village Zetland (at the other end of Cleveland Street) are faster anyway - assuming you use CCS2. Also cheaper - assuming you pay (40c vs 42c per kWh). You just need the Chargefox app.

My SR+ can reach 170kw there. The meatier Model 3s can reach 200kw. Tritium chargers are awesome, and they’re even Australian made!

Reactions: Vostok