Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many Tesla batteries are there really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a 75D S .. But what I'm wondering (especially in light of Tesla temporarily upgrading batteries to Hurricane victims) is how many different batteries there actually are?

Is my 75 really a 90, or is it a 75?

Also was looking at VIN number coding and I didn't see a large variety of battery sizes, but that could be old info.

Anyone?

I'm approx a month or so into ownership. I have a 75.

20171024_194634.jpg

There are six part numbers for the 75kWh battery, but only one common in the US. There were like twenty five 90kWh battery part numbers and only one 100kWh.

There was a 60 that was locked to 40. And a 75 locked to 60 or 70. Outside the US there is still an 85kWh battery that ships in some 75s, but Tesla has never recognized it or announced plans to allow it to be upgraded. That option code shows up as BTX8 instead of BTX5. It is the winning lottery ticket of 75Ds orders.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
There are six part numbers for the 75kWh battery, but only one common in the US. There were like twenty five 90kWh battery part numbers and only one 100kWh.

There was a 60 that was locked to 40. And a 75 locked to 60 or 70. Outside the US there is still an 85kWh battery that ships in some 75s, but Tesla has never recognized it or announced plans to allow it to be upgraded. That option code shows up as BTX8 instead of BTX5. It is the winning lottery ticket of 75Ds orders.
Ah, don't forget about the physical 70 pack that was released long before the software locked variants of the 75 showed up.