Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 829188

Forgot the mandatory Pic

This is EASILY the best value in the EV space. Ford really knocked it out of the park.

This next statement is just an opinion, but that is one fugly truck. Not just yours I mean, all of them!

Clearly my tastes are outside of the mainstream as that body style is the best selling vehicle in the country.

*maybe* 1/2 to 1/3 of EPA. Just like any other EV towing and hauling. There's no magic formula and you can't beat physics. Towing and hauling an aerodynamic brick take A LOT more energy.

The thing is about the EV's that don't get their range using major aero & efficiency tricks, is that they don't take nearly the hit that say a Tesla does when things turn more un-aerodynamic.

Put a bike rack on the back of a Tesla with a 30# bike and the range takes a HUGE hit for instance. These less efficient EVs aren't going to be nearly as effected.

The thing is about the EV's that don't get their range using major aero & efficiency tricks, is that they don't take nearly the hit that say a Tesla does when things turn more un-aerodynamic.

Put a bike rack on the back of a Tesla with a 30# bike and the range takes a HUGE hit for instance. These less efficient EVs aren't going to be nearly as effected.
yeah. plus Tesla's EPA estimate is already rated very aggressively vs. Ford and others.

Tesla is making automobiles.

The early auto industry had both electric and petrol powered vehicles.

Tesla is 100 years behind and it hasn't slowed them down yet!
that would be true if Tesla would be using lead acid batteries... but li-ion didn't exist until late 70s. That's like saying that Airbus is over half a century behind Boeing (1916 founded vs. 1970) ... as if a plane from 1916 has anything in common with a Airbus/Boeing from 1970s)

I read the other day that using the AC was making a M3 lose 22% range for a client.

I'd rather have a large battery pack and average aero/ weight, than a small battery pack with great aero/ weight. It's more practical.
I've driven up to PEI from Maine. Single 50kW chargers apart from the Moncton Petro-Canada where the pair powerful chargers are broken.

In a future world with dense, reliable, fast, high-capacity charging efficiency won't provide utility, but for now it can really help.

F150 Lightning...My biggest concern is still the charging, the non-Tesla networks are just not viable
Road trip charging is a big deal for some number of owners. We've owned a 2018 Ioniq with CCS and only DC charged it once to test it out! Whereas our Tesla S has been supercharged hundreds of times. One of these cars is exclusively driven in the city.

The Lightning was my reservation to guarantee getting a truck in 2023 time frame, as I'm easily into 2025 for a Canadian delivery of Cybertruck reserved in the first week.
Watching "out of spec" motoring channel this week (Audi e Tron road trip), and electric family (Rivian) have shown how week the CCS charging network is in the US.

Consider the Lightning will be a $100K CAD truck for us, and would be sidelined onto a second class charging network, which devalues the ownership experience. Whereas our $100K Model S has been a premium charging and road trip experience.

We're highly conflicted, waiting till 2025 sucks, so we're likely going to get the Lightning and see how it goes.