Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
which is great for a 320 miles EPA rated truck. My Model 3 AWD from '19 (310 miles EPA) doesn't do 270 miles going 70mph
Again, I'm not sure what these boutique range tests show. This test shows the MY going 290 miles @ 70 mph, for what it's worth:

Whatever either standardized or targeted test is used, the real world range of a BEV is always going to be lower, unless someone wants to fib about their vehicle. I have never owned an ICE car that achieved the EPA mileage estimate, yet people are out there claiming that "their car" exceeds it. I doubt that BEVs are any different.

Reactions: WhiteWi
What do you guys think the range hit will be in cold and frigid Wintertime conditions while towing and hauling?
Depends more on how warm you run the heat and if the roads are snow covered. If you crank the heat range goes way down. Keep it set to the low 60’sF, it isn’t much of a hit. Sno me covered roads, especially fresh loose is also a huge hit in range. Cold by itself not much, if any.

I can get “rated range” in my model 3 on clear roads, sunny, and temps in the teens F.

Reactions: TessP100D
that would be true if Tesla would be using lead acid batteries... but li-ion didn't exist until late 70s. That's like saying that Airbus is over half a century behind Boeing (1916 founded vs. 1970) ... as if a plane from 1916 has anything in common with a Airbus/Boeing from 1970s)

Airbus is over half a century behind Boeing, and competes well against them.

Just like Tesla is a century behind Ford but is worth more than 5 times Ford.

Thanks for proving my point!

Airbus is over half a century behind Boeing, and competes well against them.

Just like Tesla is a century behind Ford but is worth more than 5 times Ford.

Thanks for proving my point!
Airbus was indeed "founded" by a collection of existing aerospace companies in 1970 (Wikipedia):
During 1970, Sud Aviation merged with both Nord Aviation and Société d'études et de réalisation d'engins balistiques (SÉREB) to form the Aérospatiale company. Aérospatiale formed several large-scale international consortia, for example with British Aerospace and Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm to form Airbus
But that's like saying Lockheed-Martin was founded in 1995.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Airbus was indeed "founded" by a collection of existing aerospace companies in 1970 (Wikipedia):

But that's like saying Lockheed-Martin was founded in 1995.

that would be true if Tesla would be using lead acid batteries... but li-ion didn't exist until late 70s. That's like saying that Airbus is over half a century behind Boeing (1916 founded vs. 1970) ... as if a plane from 1916 has anything in common with a Airbus/Boeing from 1970s)

This Would be somewhat true if they up and decided to start making ICEs. But not at all true in terms of EVs.
Lots of Wikipedia warriors posting irrelevant data so I thought I would requote what started it all. Someone said that if Cybertruck was not first to market they wouldn't get many sales.

My point is that Tesla is virtually LAST to market by 100 years and they are selling like crazy. No need to get scared if Cybertruck is 1-3 years behind.

If the cyber truck ever makes it to market this will be a new space for Tesla. It will be the first time that Tesla is the one who was late to the game. The others will have at least a 1 to 2 year Headstart in the market. Also it’s important to remember that truck buyers are insanely brand loyal. My guess is if Tesla does eventually get the cyber truck to market they will pirate very few sales from GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota loyalists. Especially if those brands have an EV truck first.

Lots of Wikipedia warriors posting irrelevant data so I thought I would requote what started it all. Someone said that if Cybertruck was not first to market they wouldn't get many sales.

My point is that Tesla is virtually LAST to market by 100 years and they are selling like crazy. No need to get scared if Cybertruck is 1-3 years behind.
How were they 100 years last to market with the roadster, S, X, 3, or Y?

They will sell cyber trucks if it ever sees the light of day. I was saying that they would have sold a lot more if it had come 1-3+ years before any of the other options. By the time it gets here (if it does) it will be at least a year behind Rivian R1T and f150, and will likely be behind Silverado EV, R1S, and hummer. I have a holder on CT and Silverado (dropped Rivian), if I can get a 400+ mile Silverado or Rivian before the CT I’ll do it in a second.

I think there are many people out there like me. Have reservations on multiple EV trucks with only plans to buy one. Which ever one that gets here first within the specs we want.

I’ll also put it this way. Had the model 3 been available in 2014 when I bought my model s, no way I would have bought the S. If the EQ5, and i4 had been available in 2018 when I bought the model 3 it would have been a hard choice, had I not had a Tesla prior would have likely bought one of the others.

How were they 100 years last to market with the roadster, S, X, 3, or Y?

They will sell cyber trucks if it ever sees the light of day. I was saying that they would have sold a lot more if it had come 1-3+ years before any of the other options. By the time it gets here (if it does) it will be at least a year behind Rivian R1T and f150, and will likely be behind Silverado EV, R1S, and hummer. I have a holder on CT and Silverado (dropped Rivian), if I can get a 400+ mile Silverado or Rivian before the CT I’ll do it in a second.

I think there are many people out there like me. Have reservations on multiple EV trucks with only plans to buy one. Which ever one that gets here first within the specs we want.

I’ll also put it this way. Had the model 3 been available in 2014 when I bought my model s, no way I would have bought the S. If the EQ5, and i4 had been available in 2018 when I bought the model 3 it would have been a hard choice, had I not had a Tesla prior would have likely bought one of the others.
Tesla will sell every Cybertruck they can make, just like they sold every car they have ever made. Demand has never been, is not now, and will not be for the foreseeable future any sort of problem. Period.

Dan

Tesla will sell every Cybertruck they can make, just like they sold every car they have ever made. Demand has never been, is not now, and will not be for the foreseeable future any sort of problem. Period.

Dan

Every manufacturer has sold every car they ever made..........

Demand to Tesla's will start slowing down, there are just better products out there now with more tech. There's a reason Musk is opening up the SC network to other manufacturers. He is smart and is able to see what is happening. Fart noises and plain interiors isn't going to cut it anymore.

Seriously?

Tesla started 100 years AFTER the automotive industry began.
That is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

If any of the major companies would have went all in with EVs 10 years ago tesla would have very likely not made it. Especially Toyota, I think they missed the boat the most given the experience and success they had early on with Prius. It was a huge risk on Elon’s part buying Tesla and taking over. The gamble he won was largely due to no one else stepping into the space until Tesla had stable footing.

Every manufacturer has sold every car they ever made..........

Demand to Tesla's will start slowing down, there are just better products out there now with more tech. There's a reason Musk is opening up the SC network to other manufacturers. He is smart and is able to see what is happening. Fart noises and plain interiors isn't going to cut it anymore.

This line: “Every manufacturer has sold every car they ever made” is true.

But every manufacturer has NOT sold every car they CAN make. Plenty of manufacturers have cut production on their vehicles due to lackluster sales.

Elon is not opening up the network because he thinks he is losing sales to alternatives. It’s to speed up development of the supercharger network and to receive incentives on the table. He’d be a fool not to. Also don’t forget their mission statement.

Tesla is far from having a demand problem. As @coleAK has noted, Tesla is a small part of the market. The funny thing is though, Tesla will soon make more money than all auto manufacturers while shipping a fraction of the vehicles.

Tesla doesn’t “need” to be the highest producer. Let other companies fill in the cheaper market segments.