Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many will look into the F-150 Lightning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, do I really have to mention that my battery is half the size? Sorry I'll be more specific next time
30 minutes to 80%
This 30 minutes to 80% (~2C charge rate) is pretty much the state-of-the-art for nearly any battery without working very hard. Assuming the charger can supply enough power and all of the the internal wiring can handle it, it is independent of the size of the battery.
Assuming you have a 100 kWhr battery, either the CT or the Lightning should easily do this with a 200 kW or faster charger.
I'm not totally clear on what your point is. I'm just trying to clear up misconceptions in your statements.

This 30 minutes to 80% (~2C charge rate) is pretty much the state-of-the-art for nearly any battery without working very hard.
Bingo! So in other words "real world charging rates"

Tesla's (MS/X in particular) are terrible at charge curves. 250kw for a several minutes and then half that.

My Ioniq 5 chills at 200-250kw for 10 minutes and is 10-80% in 20min. (Real world) 800v battery.

My MS75d best speed ever was 110kw and it was only there for 30-45 seconds and then down to 60-80kw until 60% and then waste of my time after that.

Reactions: Alset Srotom
Does something need to be perfectly clean before it’s considered a success compared to the old method?
I never said that. I question the odd claim by a previous poster who won't buy a Ford because of something they did 50 years ago... while he apparently buys vehicles nowadays, with conveniently ignored, similar activities, currently going on in their supply chain.

Ford is scamming people and the majority of dealers are ripping people off. The wait time is less for a fully loaded Truck than for a Truck with fewer options. That tells me Ford only wants to build the top of the line Trucks to make a lot more money off of people. If they were actually suffering from parts shortages the top of the line trucks would be affected more. You can get a fully loaded F250 faster than you can get an F250 XLT.
Minus the dealer aspect, that is exactly what Tesla does. There are people waiting for LR MS and MX for over a year yet someone can order and receive a Plaid in a few weeks.
Ford sucks, end of story. The whole thing is a scam. Why even put the price on the website when most people can't buy it at that price to begin with? It's a typical bait and switch scam.
Ford is just following Tesla's playbook (40KWh MS, $35,000 M3, etc). Tesla will do the same with the CT. They will advertise a cheap version in line with the F-150 Pro and then not make them, claiming that no one was interested. For the people that did manage to get an order placed they will make them literally wait years as Tesla builds the higher margin cars first.

PLUS, dealer markup in many cases. Or dealers reselling people’s trucks from underneath them.

That’s the beauty of legacy auto. Regardless of how the manufacturer treats you, the dealer network can still figure out a way to screw you over.
For those interested in buying, there is a good thread on the F150Lightning dot com forum, which collects data, and lists those dealerships by State that do not mark up the Lightning above MSRP.

For those interested in buying, there is a good thread on the F150Lightning dot com forum, which collects data, and lists those dealerships by State that do not mark up the Lightning above MSRP.
I'm on there... but that thread is really only for orders. For those of us who didn't get reservations (or don't want to wait forever), we can only buy dealer stock or rejected orders which usually come with markups.

Reactions: KJD
I have a Lightning. It’s a truly amazing vehicle, and quite surprisingly among the most luxurious rides available (not material choices or build quality, but ride and quietness). It’s like a lifted Rolls with a bed.

Initially I wanted a Pro/XLT but I am so glad to have the extended range lariat. Every little feature comes in handy.

Downsides are public charging infrastructure and charge rate (170 kW peak for a 131 kWh usable battery).

I have a Lightning. It’s a truly amazing vehicle, and quite surprisingly among the most luxurious rides available (not material choices or build quality, but ride and quietness). It’s like a lifted Rolls with a bed.

Initially I wanted a Pro/XLT but I am so glad to have the extended range lariat. Every little feature comes in handy.

Downsides are public charging infrastructure and charge rate (170 kW peak for a 131 kWh usable battery).
The kW peak is one thing (170 kW is like my '17 X) but it really appears to stay higher for longer (unlike my X). Roadtrip charging to 80% SOC would be great in that vehicle.

Below via Tom: The Ford F-150 Lightning Fast Charges Like No Other EV: We Explain
ford-f-150-lightning-0-100-charging-curve-extended-range-battery.jpg

Another version of the chart showing charging at different starting SOC%s.

ford-f-150-lightning-charging-curves.jpg

I bought a Lariat ER and decided to sell it after 6000 miles. The ride is great, power is great, "autopilot" is terrible, charging on the road in my neck of the woods was terrible so it didn't work for me, picked up an end of year model 3 to have a 2 tesla household until the cybertruck.
Please tell me it at least has good Lane Assist and Traffic Aware Cruise Control.

Reactions: bleebdat
Please tell me it at least has good Lane Assist and Traffic Aware Cruise Control.
Lane assist and TACC were good provided you looked at the road. One problem coming from Tesla to the Ford was that blue cruise can turn off without a audio cue.

The charging on the road was what killed it for me, I will travel 3-400 miles a day at least once a week and EA and other options out there are missing between Baton Rouge and Houston where I need them.

I bought a Lariat ER and decided to sell it after 6000 miles. The ride is great, power is great, "autopilot" is terrible, charging on the road in my neck of the woods was terrible so it didn't work for me, picked up an end of year model 3 to have a 2 tesla household until the cybertruck.

The charging on the road was what killed it for me, I will travel 3-400 miles a day at least once a week and EA and other options out there are missing between Baton Rouge and Houston where I need them.
Sorry that didn't work out. It definitely sounds like it didn't fit your use case (400/day once a week). The charging infrastructure wasn't there yet. Had you looked at that before the purchase and were you mislead by EA or something?

The lane keep isn’t as advanced as Autopilot. The positive is you can steer the car while in lane keep, unlike Autopilot. As impressive as Autopilot can be, I prefer the systems from Ford, Hyundai, Mercedes, etc.

Common examples include passing semis and other trucks (bias my car away from them within the lane), exit appears (keep the car in the highway lane), lanes merge/wide lane (drive straight, no AP weirdness). You can also speed up and maneuver to your heart‘s content.

EA sucks compared to Superchargers. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes nothing works right. Depends a good deal on the specific stations and their hardware, electric source, etc. Their software and payment system sucks in general though. Infrastructure shouldn’t be a crapshoot. I hope they fire Giovanni Palazzo and turn it around.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
I find Blues Clues to be better than Autopilot at just about everything. I guess it depends on where you live, use it for work on a daily basis with no issues.

But the charging network and the inability to send OTA updates is getting old…. I might just go back to ICE because neither Tesla nor Ford are where they need to be for an all around car. Both a great commuters and that’s where it stops. Never road tripped in my Tesla so I’ll say Tesla is probably the best EV to take a road trip in.

Reactions: TessP100D
Sorry that didn't work out. It definitely sounds like it didn't fit your use case (400/day once a week). The charging infrastructure wasn't there yet. Had you looked at that before the purchase and were you mislead by EA or something?
There are 2 stations between houston and baton rouge that are good candidates for me to use. Sulphur, LA and Vinton, TX both in the 3 months I owned the truck were only 50% operational at best. One particular bad trip was I pulled into Sulpur, LA with 60 miles left. Could not get a charge from either of the 2 out of 4 operating stalls. After trying to tech support with EA unsuccessfully I limped @ 55 mph another 60 miles down the road to Lafayette LA and used a charger at a Hyundai dealership that was only 50 KW (i think).

Tesla superchargers near 100% uptime have spoiled me. Also if/when the charging does catch up I think I will only switch back again to a truck with 800v architecture. The lightning can hit 170 kw but when you are using 500 watts per mile the charging is a good bit longer.

There are 2 stations between houston and baton rouge that are good candidates for me to use. Sulphur, LA and Vinton, TX both in the 3 months I owned the truck were only 50% operational at best. One particular bad trip was I pulled into Sulpur, LA with 60 miles left. Could not get a charge from either of the 2 out of 4 operating stalls. After trying to tech support with EA unsuccessfully I limped @ 55 mph another 60 miles down the road to Lafayette LA and used a charger at a Hyundai dealership that was only 50 KW (i think).

Tesla superchargers near 100% uptime have spoiled me. Also if/when the charging does catch up I think I will only switch back again to a truck with 800v architecture. The lightning can hit 170 kw but when you are using 500 watts per mile the charging is a good bit longer.
Thanks for the details. One of the issues that is all the buzz recently is that plugshare is owned by EVgo (read not independent) so their actions are not necessarily for consumers. For example, you cannot enter two bad checks and one good check, as they will only accept one good check! So it really skews their 'score'.
For example the two you pointed out have a score of 9 and 10 but the comment text indicate problems (they still get a green checkmark if they find at least 1 working).
I see those: