Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you pay for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called my energy supplier to complain about the ever increasing generation costs. It got me to really focus on how much I was paying per kWh. All in, including generation, distribution, assorted fees and taxes, I pay $0.26 per kWh! That seems REALLY high to me even living in the Boston metro area. So I'm really curious. What do other people pay around the country?

Also in Boston area, on Eversource, last month the average was 23 cents/kWh, including the $7 monthly fee averaged into the total.
Are you on Eversource or National grid?
I envy the folks who live in towns with municipal electricity companies -- their costs are lower and many have EV incentives to boot.
I had a time of use rate with Eversource in 2017, which saved me about 10%. But then the DPU approved dropping it in the latest rate case, which went into effect in January. Can't understand why.
The answers to this should be interesting. Previous similar queries have shown there are few places with costs as high as the Boston area. Many are lower, and many have EV incentives that our suppliers seem to lack interest in....

Come to California! High tier is something like .50c a kw, I think when I calculated my "avg" kw it was something like .30c/ kw 9 years ago; can't imagine what it would be today.
But once you go solar.. I literally pay $0 and that covers my Tesla and house with three girls... its paid for itself 4 times over in 8 years..

$16/mo + $0.09/kWh here in SoCal with Sdg&E with their ev time of use plan charging between 12-6am. Rest of the time the range is $0.23 to $0.54 depending on time of year. As EV ownership goes the night charging rate is awesome.

Come to California! High tier is something like .50c a kw, I think when I calculated my "avg" kw it was something like .30c/ kw 9 years ago; can't imagine what it would be today.
Correct units are kWh. And, yes California electricity at least on PG&E and many of the other major providers is expensive. A few (e.g. Silicon Valley Power for city of Santa Clara only) are cheap.

I'm on E-6: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-6.pdf. See page 2.

I'm in area X, code B, so my baseline (tier 1) is 10.1 kWh/day in "summer" and 10.9 kWh/day in "winter". So, for a 30 day billing month, the baseline is 303 kWh or 327 kWh, respectively. Any electricity I use above those baselines costs more $ (see Over 100% of Baseline), which would be from 27 to 46 cents/kWh, depending on season and time of day. Baseline cost is 18 to 37 cents/kWh depending on time of day and "season".

And the baselines are intentionally set to be insufficient for the average user. Baseline is supposed to be around (IIRC) 50 to 60% of the "average" usage.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
:)
Just under 8-1/2 cents in Southwest Washington including taxes...
(Pre tax 2846 kwh @ 8.16 cents each)
My last bill was $237.71 for 2846 kWh
~0.08352

We have Clark PUD too (I live about 5 miles from you). There is also a credit that lowers the pre-tax rate to even closer to $0.080 cents.

I figured out my Model S costs 1/4 per mile what my SO's Subaru costs. Where else can you find a full sized sedan that is 1/4 cheaper to run than a small hatchback?

In White Salmon up the Gorge I think the electric rate is $0.06 /KWh. I know it's cheaper.

19c/kWh off-peak, 22c/kWh shoulder, 31c/kWh peak, plus a 85c/day supply charge (which is the majority of my bill, since we use less than 3kWh per day from the grid (plus another one to three from our solar panels)). Exported solar earns 11c/kWh - yeah, someone's making a profit. I have to export over 8kWh per day just to cover the supply charge, and that's hard with just a 2kW system (all that fits on the northern roof).

• Informative
Reactions: David99
$0.06-$0.07/kWh here in Florida (TECO)
Wow. That's very cheap but I did some digging. The devil's in the details.

I found https://www.tampaelectric.com/files/content/resratesinsert_September2018.pdf from Tampa Electric. It seems you have another 2.8 or 3.8 cents per kWh of "fuel charge" but also, your monthly bill has a $16.62/month service charge.

Overall, that still sounds pretty cheap and you're not hit hard if you go over 1000 kWh in a month, unlike Pacific Gouge & Extort in CA. Over here, residential non-TOU plan is E-1: https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf (see page 1). E-1 baselines are the same as E-6 that I posted in post 12. For my area, in a 30 day month, every kWh beyond 303 or 327 kWh depending of time of year (below the 400% of baseline mark) on E-1 costs 28 cents/kWh. Once you pass 1212 or 1300 kWh, each kWh costs 44 cents!

Attachments

• florida.png
    florida.png
    134 KB · Views: 49
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
GEORGIA

GreyStone has some of the lowest rates in Georgia and the nation. This rate schedule is applicable only for residential use and for incidental thereto supplied through one meter to each individual dwelling unit occupied or used by the member.

Monthly rate Effective Since April 1, 2016
WINTER

Applicable to bills rendered November through May.

Service Charge $25 per month
First 500 kWh $0.0460 per kWh
Next 500 kWh $0.0720 per kWh
Over 1000 kWh $0.0645 per kWh

SUMMER

Applicable to bills rendered June through October.

Service Charge $25 per month
First 500 kWh $0.0460 per kWh
Next 500 kWh $0.0900 per kWh
Over 1000 kWh $0.1058 per kWh