Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much do you pay for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny,
I got a call from Tesla energy last year and was told that based on our very low rate in Southwest Washington (just over 8 cents/kWh) that it would take 85 years to break even on a Tesla Roof.

I have thought about getting solar, but thought the payout time would be something like that. We get most if not all our electricity from renewables now. One set of lines coming off the North Bonneville Dam run along the hill above our house.

I have thought about getting solar, but thought the payout time would be something like that. We get most if not all our electricity from renewables now. One set of lines coming off the North Bonneville Dam run along the hill above our house.
I’m sure panels would be considerably more cost-effective.
The Tesla energy rep was quoting based on the tesla solar roof, not panels.

Tesla Solar Roof

82D72B9E-F385-4ADA-A8C8-6D10D1A61B6C.jpeg
29781505-7FA2-4EF8-B62C-F5AC6A597CE8.jpeg

But that's just your generation charge - you still have to pay transmission and distribution charges to Oncor to deliver the power to you from your chosen supplier.
When I first heard people on here mention "distribution charges", I thought they were joking, until I saw people post picture of their bills with it. And then I thought it was just some insane thing that one or two states did. And then I realized that several states do this--maybe even most. My state doesn't have it, and I'm very glad. My state utility just transparently rolls it into whatever the per kWh rate is, so there are no separate distribution costs, and it's still only about 8 or 9 cents most of the year.

Reactions: FlatSix911
When I first heard people on here mention "distribution charges", I thought they were joking, until I saw people post picture of their bills with it. And then I thought it was just some insane thing that one or two states did. And then I realized that several states do this--maybe even most. My state doesn't have it, and I'm very glad. My state utility just transparently rolls it into whatever the per kWh rate is, so there are no separate distribution costs, and it's still only about 8 or 9 cents most of the year.
I think any place with open market will split out the transmission fee.

Either way the utility has to pay for its infrastructure that you use. Even if you have net 0 kWh use. Kind of like if you don't drive every day, you still pay for streets and their maintenance. Transmission and distribution costs are the smallest part of a utility's cost. Most is capital cost and operating for generation and fuel. Deregulation if done right can lower those costs. If done wrong, look at California.

California electricity crisis - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I’m sure panels would be considerably more cost-effective.
The Tesla energy rep was quoting based on the tesla solar roof, not panels.

Tesla Solar Roof

View attachment 352057 View attachment 352058

Yup, the quote probably includes pulling the existing roof. I haven't gotten any real quotes for solar, but some rough calculations came up with at least a 20-30 year period to pay for itself. We have good exposure for solar, the house has one dimension much longer than the other and that faces SW in the back with nothing between the roof and the sun. The solar is so intense I sometimes have to run the A/C in my office in the winter on sunny days.

Springfield, VA on Dominion Power. We're on schedule 1S, which is time-of-use with demand charges. We're also paying an additional 1.3 cent per kWh for the green power rider, which offsets 100% of our usage with RECs.

I crunched the numbers and figured that I can get the best value with this plan, since our cooking and heating are gas and I can time-shift everything else to off-peak times.

Our total loaded rate including taxes, surcharges and fees (total bill amount divided by number of kWh consumed) is running just shy of 10 cents per kWh. Last month was 9.8. We're averaging between 1.5 and 2.5 MWh per month for a 1,200 square foot house with 3 adults and 4 electric cars.