Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

How much electricity to produce gasoline?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that since we are talking about a future use of NG then it's quite reasonable to assume the more efficient use of it at 60%.
As for using numbers with the general public VFX is correct, but most of the time I'm arguing with more sophisticated people and sloppy numbers will get cut to pieces, as they should.

I agree that since we are talking about a future use of NG then it's quite reasonable to assume the more efficient use of it at 60%.
As for using numbers with the general public VFX is correct, but most of the time I'm arguing with more sophisticated people and sloppy numbers will get cut to pieces, as they should.

Yes, and in so far as we are talking about an actual future use, nothing would force us to use the same combination of fossil fuels as a refinery. So it appears a valid scenario to say that we would use NG across the board to replace consumption by refineries. (Though actually we will increase solar significantly which is likely to soon achieve grid parity.)

So we could say that if we produce electricity from an equivalent amount of NG, replacing the fossil fuels consumed by refineries, we could produce about (6.7 kWh - 0.31 kWh) * 0.60 + 0.31 kWh, where 0.31 kWh is the number calculated by stopcrazypp, and this would be a bit more than 4.1 kWh.

So we could produce more than 80% of the electricity needed (which would be 5 kWh).

[Still, that wouldn't be the end of the calculation, there is still nighttime electricity, transportation of oil and its protection, and much more, to be factored in.]

Last edited:
And this also seems the case in terms of the cost of operating EVs with electricity:

The refinery energy loss of about 17% (excluding "less desirable" products) is (currently) roughly about the same as the relative cost of operating an EV vs the cost of gas, which seems to be about 20% (at about $4 per gallon).

But, if you go that far, why do you stop at that point (at refineries) instead of going further and including electricity that is available in the night (off peak), for example?
Off peak electricity isn't exactly free. We have the power generating capacity to power 80% of the fleet on off-peak electricity, but at that point, the overall efficiency of the plants will end up very similar to baseload and peak hours. The only "free" part of offpeak comes from the difference in efficiency of a plant running under very low loads and a plant to running at baseload or at full capacity. In other words, that advantage will average out to the figures we have now.

I don't see why you would think that using averages including old plants would be more in some "spirit". If 60% efficiency to process that NG is possible, then I don't see a reason not to actually do this. The idea isn't to keep wasting the energy except to use it for EVs. I'm talking about the possible future reality, not about a restricted thought experiment.
It's more in the spirit because that presents a snapshot in time where that scenario can happen (nationwide average refinery efficiency, nationwide average powerplant efficiency to convert feedstocks to electricity). This is purely factual, without any bias toward a certain side. I dislike talking about "possible future reality" using the best figures (60% efficient natural gas plants) for the technology you want to support and average figures (83% efficient refineries) for the technology you are against. Virtually all technology can be easily justified if you use this kind of comparison (which is frequently used in optimistic press releases of the companies trying to push a certain technology).

As far as I can tell from the ANL study right now, coal isn't used, but very much something called "still gas"...
Coal was still listed in the ANL study I linked to, perhaps not in the updated report you posted.

I'm not sure what you refer to as 1 kWh at the end, but I can now see how you would arrive at 2.4 to 3 kWh, even though I would still arrive at a larger number (probably closer to 4% than to 3%, at least if "still gas" could be processed as effectively as NG).
1kWh I got from purely using natural gas, steam, and coal. I didn't factor in LPG and the other types of gases yet. But in the end, I think you'll arrive with around the 2.4 to 3 kWh in my rough estimate if you factoring all those gases.

And once more, it should be pointed out that the long tail pipe argument is most often mentioned in the context of CO2 production, and in that context, the number of around 6.7 kWh for the amount in refineries which corresponds to CO2 production of electricity for EVs, still seems the closest estimate.
I agree with this. I always include the refining efficiency on the ICE side when comparing CO2 emissions. It is akin to including the transmission efficiency for electricity. But talking about using electricity directly from refining is a whole other matter.

Off peak electricity isn't exactly free. We have the power generating capacity to power 80% of the fleet on off-peak electricity, but at that point, the overall efficiency of the plants will end up very similar to baseload and peak hours. The only "free" part of offpeak comes from the difference in efficiency of a plant running under very low loads and a plant to running at baseload or at full capacity. In other words, that advantage will average out to the figures we have now.

I have heard many times that there is electricity available since they don't want to turn off some of the power plants. That doesn't mean that they give it to you for free. While I haven't seen numbers for that yet, I'd expect that it is factored into the lower cost of off-peak electricity.

It's more in the spirit because that presents a snapshot in time where that scenario can happen (nationwide average refinery efficiency, nationwide average powerplant efficiency to convert feedstocks to electricity). This is purely factual, without any bias toward a certain side. I dislike talking about "possible future reality" using the best figures (60% efficient natural gas plants) for the technology you want to support and average figures (83% efficient refineries) for the technology you are against. Virtually all technology can be easily justified if you use this kind of comparison (which is frequently used in optimistic press releases of the companies trying to push a certain technology).

I disagree with this. You are implying that it might be possible to improve the efficiency of refineries to the same level as it will indeed be possible to improve the effieciency of NG plants. But there is no basis in fact to believe that, whereas there is a basis to believe it for NG plants.

Coal was still listed in the ANL study I linked to, perhaps not in the updated report you posted.

It is listed in Table 4 of your link, but with 0%. Unless I'm missing something else.

1kWh I got from purely using natural gas, steam, and coal. I didn't factor in LPG and the other types of gases yet. But in the end, I think you'll arrive with around the 2.4 to 3 kWh in my rough estimate if you factoring all those gases.

So you think if we were to produce electricity after closing a refinery, we would use the "still gas", "steam", etc., which it has consumed ? I'm sure we would not.

I agree with this. I always include the refining efficiency on the ICE side when comparing CO2 emissions. It is akin to including the transmission efficiency for electricity. But talking about using electricity directly from refining is a whole other matter.

It wouldn't be "directly from refining" if it actually happened (as opposed to thought experiments).

Last edited:
I have heard many times that there is electricity available since they don't want to turn off some of the power plants. That doesn't mean that they give it to you for free. While I haven't seen numbers for that yet, I'd expect that it is factored into the lower cost of off-peak electricity.
I'm still not clear on the reality of this. Some have said there is only excess capacity at night, not excess electricity, which would mean running power to ground or giant resistors. This may happen on occasion for short periods of frequency regulation or load changes. There is also the likely hood of steam bypass, which keeps the boilers running, and obviously still burning fuel, but dumps steam so as not to produce electricity. Again, I think these are short term events. On the other hand I have heard that power plants contract with some industry to take excess electricity at night, and may even pay them to do so. How widespread is this practice, I don't know.

There's no real excess electricity produced at any point in time (otherwise they need resistor banks like JRP3 says). What they do is run the generators at a lower less efficient level. For instantaneous drops in demand, they do something similar to what JRP3 says, which is allow steam pressure to rise so output is decreased (steam bypass is only a last resort for very extreme drops). Most of the lower cost of off-peak electricity comes from not having to run less efficient peaking plants (basically turbine plants that can be turned on and off very quickly and can be throttled easily compared to baseload plants). But as I said, the kind of savings you get from off-peak will average out as more EVs come on the grid (and the baseload plants no longer have to throttle down).

I disagree with this. You are implying that it might be possible to improve the efficiency of refineries to the same level as it will indeed be possible to improve the effieciency of NG plants. But there is no basis in fact to believe that, whereas there is a basis to believe it for NG plants.
Actual, for one, it IS possible! The best for NG plants is 20% better than the 40% average I used. On the refinery side, it only needs to improve 3.4% (20% of the 17% losses) to have the same impact. I don't see how that is impossible.

And given 83% average refinery efficiency, unless all plants in the US run at 83%, there has to be a refinery in the US that runs higher than 83%. Therefore, it is inherently unfair to compare the best 60% efficient NG plant to average 83% efficient refineries in the US.

And the problem with using "best" in comparisons is that "best" usually changes quickly, and it's hard to verify the figure you have is really the best for the industry. Averages don't change very quickly and with a large enough data set, even if you miss one or two data points, you usually aren't off by a significant amount.

It is listed in Table 4 of your link, but with 0%. Unless I'm missing something else.
This is the case where 0% doesn't equal 0 (a fact many food advertisers take advantage of). Table 2 shows 34 thousand short tons of coal being used.

So you think if we were to produce electricity after closing a refinery, we would use the "still gas", "steam", etc., which it has consumed ? I'm sure we would not.
If you assume we won't use those resources at all, then all that will do is reduce the amount of electricity you can theoretically get to even lower than the 2.4-3kWh figure I got from using 40% efficiency. I think using 40% is already pretty generous, because I'm already making the implicit assumption there that all of the resources used by the refineries are equivalent to natural gas, and also because natural gas plants are the most efficient fossil fuel plants (even looking at averages).

It wouldn't be "directly from refining" if it actually happened (as opposed to thought experiments).
This is just my short way of summarizing the current topic (perhaps phrased badly). At first, the argument was looking only at electricity used in the refinery process. We found purchased electricity to be relatively insignificant and couldn't find figures for internally generated electricity. So the topic shifted to how much electricity can be made from the resources that refineries use to make gasoline (plus the purchased electricity of course).

JR,

it depends on the type and characteristics of power plant. Nuclear (fission) plants can decrease output from 100% to 60ish but not much lower. They need several days to recover from shutdown before it is safe to start them up again. Coal fired plants can ramp up/down within hours. Thermal expansion of steam boilers must not be rushed. Natural gas fired plants can fire up very quickly and can operate in a wide range, as well as hydro.

Contracts are traded to provide electricity by the hour of day, and in night time these contracts can have negative prices. Happens several times a year here, e.g. on sunny/windy weekends, when renewable energy output reaches near total demand. My favorite site on that subject: PV electricity produced in Germany.SMA Solar Technology AG

Last edited:
There's no real excess electricity produced at any point in time (otherwise they need resistor banks like JRP3 says).

Does it have to be "real excess"? A better use of existing plants is still a significant advantage, just more difficult factor into the discussion and calculation. In any case, it is only one of several additional resource savings such as also transport.

Therefore, it is inherently unfair to compare the best 60% efficient NG plant to average 83% efficient refineries in the US.

The point you are missing is that if we close a refinery and build a NG plant instead, then it would be natural (not unfair) to *actually* use the best technology available. Whereas we have no information (at least not so far, on the table) that refineries are *actually* improving their efficiency. I suppose they already would have, if they could have, but even then it would probably only happen when building new refineries which AFAIK is not happening since gas consumption is decreasing. So even if there were improvements in refining technology they would not likely get used any time soon.

This is the case where 0% doesn't equal 0 (a fact many food advertisers take advantage of). Table 2 shows 34 thousand short tons of coal being used.

I'm not sure what you are saying. That it is 0.4% and not 0% ?

If you assume we won't use those resources at all, then all that will do is reduce the amount of electricity you can theoretically get to even lower than the 2.4-3kWh figure I got from using 40% efficiency. I think using 40% is already pretty generous, because I'm already making the implicit assumption there that all of the resources used by the refineries are equivalent to natural gas, and also because natural gas plants are the most efficient fossil fuel plants (even looking at averages).

See below.

This is just my short way of summarizing the current topic (perhaps phrased badly). At first, the argument was looking only at electricity used in the refinery process. We found purchased electricity to be relatively insignificant and couldn't find figures for internally generated electricity. So the topic shifted to how much electricity can be made from the resources that refineries use to make gasoline (plus the purchased electricity of course).

No, as I have already said repeatedly, I'm meanwhile talking about what we would actually do, if we actually did close a refinery or two (as anything else would be a restricted thought experiment of only academic value). We would surely not use the exact same resources, since we would (or actually will) be free to use any resource we choose. That might be solar, at least in the future when it reaches grid parity, or currently NG with that 60% technology assuming that it is *in fact* already available.

As far as your original point in its original context is concerned, I have already said in 2009 (in this thread) that the term "energy" should be used instead of "electricity".

So based on the information now on the table, the point remains valid that we could produce about 4.1 kWh, which is about 80% of the needed electricity, from an equivalent amount of fossil fuels as is spent (wasted) in refining gasoline.

(EDIT: with that, I'd like to come to a temporary end of this discussion)

Misleading info about the "5 kW's" needed to produce gasoline. ....

I'm sure it's been posted here somewhere, but this blog talks about that in more detail.

So let’s be conservative and cut the oil guys a break and say it takes 8kwh to extract, ship, refine and transport each gallon of gas. ... Gas cars use more electricity than EV’s, thus polluting at the smokestack, They burn that refined gasoline in a very inefficient engine, thus polluting at the tailpipe.

Yes that article is unfortunately rather misleading, and just plain wrong. Official numbers show refineries are around 90% efficient, adding in the extraction and transportation of petroleum puts the industry around 80% efficient. That means if you use 33kWh's of energy potential in each gallon of gas around 6.6kWh's of energy are used to get that gas into your tank. However that energy is not the same as electricity, and only a small portion of that energy is actually electricity, much of which is derived from co-generation plants.

Yes that article is unfortunately rather misleading, and just plain wrong. Official numbers show refineries are around 90% efficient, adding in the extraction and transportation of petroleum puts the industry around 80% efficient. That means if you use 33kWh's of energy potential in each gallon of gas around 6.6kWh's of energy are used to get that gas into your tank. However that energy is not the same as electricity, and only a small portion of that energy is actually electricity, much of which is derived from co-generation plants.

I'm a little slow - What's "co-generation" and how is that different from any other kind of power generation? Does it have something to do with taking the heat from processing the oil?

When you say 6.6kWh's of energy are used to get gas into our car's tanks, but that's mostly not electrical energy, what's the difference? Where does that 6.6kWh come from? What is the net energy input needed to refine oil into gasoline? Are you saying it's close to zero?

Since no ICE is 100% efficient, I'm assuming the 33kWh is not the energy actually produced by a gallon of gas in a car. I've heard numbers from 25% to 35%.

Finally, does "extraction" including the energy needed to drill and then use the well? Obviously, drilling the well costs and pollution need to be spread out over the productive life of the well, so maybe that's in the noise per gallon. What is involved in running a well? Does it include transporting people and supplies into the rig area via truck or boat (for well at sea)?

The whole ground to wheels thing seems very complex given the large infrastructure needed - both for refining gas as well as producing electricity.

Co-Generation is basically onsite electric plant. The main advantage of these units is you can capture waste heat from the power plant and use it for other industrial processes. A lot of times these plants also use waste/byproduct to create power. The plant I am at uses methane from a 'nearby' landfill. A lot of oil industry uses 'waste' natural gas. You could also burn tires or anything really that can go into an incinerator.

I think that 'Cogeneration' is from the co-production of heat and electricity.

Last edited:
In 2008 american refineries used:
711 billion cubic feet of natural gas
43000 tons of coal
42.7 billion kWhr of electricity purchased from the grid
327 million barrels of oil products ( non-gasoline refining leftovers )
98.8 billion pounds of steam purchased

All of that - if instead used as fuel to generate electricity, could provide enough electricity ( between 488 and 533 billion kWhr ) to drive EVs over 50% of the passenger miles driven in the US.

Full text of my blog article has more detail: Refining | High Speed Charging

Co-generation is usually burning natural gas when associated with oil production. Natural Gas is a by product of oil production, either at the drilling site, or at the refinery. When they don't have a place to process it and put it into use for commercial and residential uses it is either burned off in a flare, or burned in a very large (size of a small house) turbo diesel engine to produce electricity and put into the grid. Some trash dumps will use co-generation to help burn off methane produced from the burried and rotting trash.

I'm a little slow - What's "co-generation" and how is that different from any other kind of power generation? Does it have something to do with taking the heat from processing the oil?

When you say 6.6kWh's of energy are used to get gas into our car's tanks, but that's mostly not electrical energy, what's the difference? Where does that 6.6kWh come from? What is the net energy input needed to refine oil into gasoline? Are you saying it's close to zero?

Since no ICE is 100% efficient, I'm assuming the 33kWh is not the energy actually produced by a gallon of gas in a car. I've heard numbers from 25% to 35%.

Finally, does "extraction" including the energy needed to drill and then use the well? Obviously, drilling the well costs and pollution need to be spread out over the productive life of the well, so maybe that's in the noise per gallon. What is involved in running a well? Does it include transporting people and supplies into the rig area via truck or boat (for well at sea)?

The whole ground to wheels thing seems very complex given the large infrastructure needed - both for refining gas as well as producing electricity.

Last edited:
Most energy used in refining is in the form of heat, not electricity. Since refineries are considered around 90% efficient then around 3.3 kWh's of energy are consumed for each gallon of gasoline. The other 3.3 kWh's of energy are lost in the drilling, pumping and transportation aspects of petroleum production.

It can even be worse, but that has nothing to do with the energy used to produce the fuel and get it into your tank.
See above responses.

42.7 billion kWhr of electricity purchased from the grid

Grid "purchased" electricity may be misleading since many refineries also contract with generating plants to use their petroleum byproducts, NG, and some other stuff, and then "buy" back the electricity from them. I'm not clear on how it all works but the purchased electricity may from their own plants or partnership plants that also sell electricity to the grid as a whole. Some have claimed that refineries may actually be overall net producers of electricity. It's rather confusing.

One more post on cogeneration plants.

Here is one at the plant where I work.

20120323473.jpg

There are gas turbine generators in the building (powered from landfill methane off gas). The three big things are heat exchangers that heat water for the plant with the exhaust. The final exhaust is barely warm.

The electricity tie in is off to the right.

Incidentally, a "gas turbine" is what most people call a "jet engine". They basically take a jet engine and bolt it to the ground. The shaft turns a generator. The fancy ones add what amounts to an afterburner and uses the output to turn a turbine and another generator. Then the waste heat is used to make hot water for heating and other uses. One station can heat a good sized hospital campus (as is done at one of the local hospitals). These plants can be uber-efficient.

Edit... hmm... maybe this discussion should be spun off...