Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much of a deposit do you think will be required?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reservation cost for model 3

Currently, the reservation cost for the Model X stands at $5,000 and at $2,500 for the Model S. Are there any thoughts on what the reservation cost would be for the Model 3?
The clientele for the Model 3 would presumably be younger and with less cash to put down for 2+ years.
My thoughts are perhaps $5,000 for the signature version which I assumed they will still do and $1,000 for the regular version would be a good start.

Tesla has two options - democratize or stay elitist.

I think you can have both. You are making the leap from the Model ≡ Signature is a loaded, more expensive (therefore exclusive) choice to the fact that the press and others will misconstrue the Signature price as the base price. Therefore Tesla is elitist.

I understand that some are concerned about this misunderstanding. It was common for the MX Signature price to be cited as "the price" for the MX.

Those that are confused will have friends/family/new information to help them. Otherwise they may not be that interested in a new way to drive anyway. Someone that really wants an EV will not be mislead for long.

Half price deposit for each is my vote: $2500 base, $20K Signature (loaded, front of the line, special trim and color options)

$3,333 for Model 3 Production. And Signature. Why make them differ? Just run it like Ticketmaster tickets - first come and first served. Make the first 5,000 buyers Signature on each continent. But make Signature buyers non-transferrable (ie. must take a Sig 3 or refund) while the Production reservations should be both transferrable and refundable - so they could switch to a Model S or X.

I'd like to see something with a non-refundable aspect to it so you don't just get a lot of people lining up to elevate the reservation monies which I do believe is a way to manipulate the stock value. Aren't the Model X reservations all still fully refundable if the reservation holders have not yet confirmed?

We had this in a different thread but in my mind the point with reservation costs is to carefully balance a) high number of reservations b) a lot of money per reservation. Tesla needs a lot of credible reservations to make sure that all GF partners are keeping their interest in the GF project. They also need a lot of cash to ramp Model 3 production. They have experience with lots of money per reservation (Model X Signature) and keeping reservations free (Powerwall). I believe we will see a carefully balanced menu of reservation options designed to maximise both numbers.

I believe the cash that Tesla Motors will raise will be based upon the number of Reservations/Preorders they get for Model ≡... But that the bulk of it will come from Stock and Bond issues. Basically, they will use the Deposits to leverage greater investment by those with deeper pockets.