Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The handling on the Model S is uninspiring at best. not something i'd like to daily to be honest. What really attracted me to the Model 3 was the simplicity of the car itself and insurance is pretty reasonable for it.

I had a pre-owned S85 to hold me over during the early Model 3 production delays. I liked some of the refinement to the S, but at least at that trim level, it was in "luxobarge" territory. I know they have sportier suspensions, but that wasn't it.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
We've decided after much consternation, that I get to keep my Stealthy 3, and my wife will be making the leap from a Chevy Colorado to the Cybertruck. I keep dropping hints that she needs tri-motor. Not sure how much headway I'm making. She seems kinda set on Dual for now.

I need someone to get a hold of a Tri-motor and bring it to the drag strip so I can show her.........

Get the one with the most range.. if you're ever going to tow or carry anything back there it's going to killllll the range.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Went to the local Tesla showroom yesterday with every intention of test driving a performance model 3, none were available so I test drove a dual motor long range model.

It was my first time in a Tesla or any electric vehicle. The acceleration was ridiculous and addictive.

How noticeable is the improvement from the 4.4 seconds 0-60 of the dual motor long range model to the 3.2 seconds of the performance model? I know it's 1.2 seconds quicker to 60 but how does that translate to the seat of the pants experience of driving the car?

Thank you
Drove a friends P. A slight noticeable difference. I really was hoping Tesla would offer the acceleration upgrade and was strongly considering it PRIOR to driving the P. Now, not so much. Sure, it's "cool" to tell someone your "rated" 0-60 time or maybe a prospective future buyer yet, I just didn't get the "wow" factor I anticipated. I think I had higher expectations, and that's on me. So, I'm content with my current rocket sled. FWIW.

I got a Performance at the end of last July. Love it dearly.

Last month I picked up a Dual Motor, non-P. The smaller wheels/taller tires and suspension differences were stunning. It also does away with thin-little-Hotwheels-tire road damage anxiety. Unless you're truly racing, I'd skip on the Performance. The feel at the wheel when going down the road in the non-Performance is far more assuring than any other car I've driven. And you're still probably the fastest car for fifty miles around. Just my estimations.

its a gigantic difference if you're not used to it. Go test drive the performance and you'll see. Once you get used to it, its not a big deal. However, if you want to have a track capable model, the Performance is better.

yeah, Im so used to the P3D now that it just feels normal to me (not to passengers though lol). But If I drive i.e. a Model S85 which does it at 5 seconds it doesn't feel really that much slower.

This red underline exists on a Stealth P?

yes it does. the only difference between the stealth and the performance is the tires and no spoiler (which looks cheesy anyway)
So you get everything. Better looking tires, better range, red underline, track mode, not so sure about the speed limiter, I presume thats set to 260kmh too though.

Electron01 up here has the actual P3D and I parked next to him - contrary to popular believe the P3D is NOT lowered compared to the stealth - and the stealth is not lowered compared to the SR.

hILHkca.jpg

Last edited:
Back in August, I was able to test-drive all three then-available options: SR+, LR AWD, LR P. There was definitely a noticeable difference between all three, but even the "slow" SR+ was very very fast compared to everything I had driven up to that point. I ended up going for the LR for the range; not the acceleration. Sure, you can tell it's not a Performance, but only by comparison. I haven't even been tempted by the $2K upgrade. As far as I'm concerned, less than half of my previous cars' 0-100KPH times is plenty.