Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference in g-force:

0-60 in 3 flat (P3) is 0.91g
0-60 in 3.5 (LR AWD w/boost) is 0.78g
0-60 in 3.9 (LR AWD no boost) is 0.7g

I find those differences noticeable but not jaw dropping any one versus another...

For contrast, a P100D in full ludicrous 0-60 in 2.28 is 1.2 gs and that's still a pretty holy crap/neck snap feeling compared to any of the others.
Using a VBox on my fastest run of 3.04 I had 1.318Gs. But most of the time it’s 1.0 or .9x.

Edit: The 3.04 was with a 1.55 meter incline.

Can you please clarify where you got "0-60 in 3.9 (LR AWD no boost)" from? Tesla says the LR AWD 0-60 is 4.4 seconds.
There are a ton of people with a VBOX or Draggy that post their times. It’s been proven these devices are very accurate compared to a normal drag strip. Tesla underrates their LR AWD figures a bit. Of course the 3.9s is when the car is at a very high state of charge so most of the time, you’ll probably be closer to the 4.x range.

We've decided after much consternation, that I get to keep my Stealthy 3, and my wife will be making the leap from a Chevy Colorado to the Cybertruck. I keep dropping hints that she needs tri-motor. Not sure how much headway I'm making. She seems kinda set on Dual for now.

I need someone to get a hold of a Tri-motor and bring it to the drag strip so I can show her.........

This aged poorly.

I picked up my Raven P X 3 weeks ago today. LOLOLOL

just feel like adding this.
Someone with a P100D here says the car maxes out at ludicrous mode. If he puts it into ludicrous plus he never has any traction despite his huge wheelset and dry roads. He said if it is a dragstrip which is prepped he is ok.

I can personally confirm that the Stealth Performance Model 3 with the 18" wheels even loses traction if the road is just slightly wet on full acceleration.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Hello. Please let me know if I am missing something here.
  • Model 3 performance does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
  • Model 3 LR with acceleration boost does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds
  • Model 3 performance does the 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds
  • Model 3 LR with acceleration boost does the 1/4 mile in 11.8 seconds
So, I assume that the model 3 LR with boost is faster than the performance after 60 mph until the end of the 1/4 mile by 0.5 seconds. Right?

Hello. Please let me know if I am missing something here.
  • Model 3 performance does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
  • Model 3 LR with acceleration boost does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds
  • Model 3 performance does the 1/4 mile in 11.6 seconds
  • Model 3 LR with acceleration boost does the 1/4 mile in 11.8 seconds
So, I assume that the model 3 LR with boost is faster than the performance after 60 mph until the end of the 1/4 mile by 0.5 seconds. Right?

Your numbers aren't correct (in some regards because you're comparing times with and without rollout to each other).

Here's a chart showing actual results from actual owners with calibrated measuring devices at every step of power bump for LR AWD and P.

LRAWD2.png

That is a very good table indeed.
I tried to compare 0-60 times without rollout, and I took the official numbers declared by Tesla. For the performance it matches the table, for the LR AWD+ the table says 3.67 for which I have my doubts since the vast majority of real users say 3.8 in the best case.

Even with the table data, the 0.5 second lead that the P has up to 60mph seems to be down to 0.3 at the end of the 1/4 mile, so again the P seems to be losing time.

Reactions: DwightKSchrute
That is a very good table indeed.
I tried to compare 0-60 times without rollout, and I took the official numbers declared by Tesla. For the performance it matches the table, for the LR AWD+ the table says 3.67 for which I have my doubts since the vast majority of real users say 3.8 in the best case.

You can look for yourself on the draggy leaderboards and see plenty of cars putting down times roughly similar to those posted in the chart (for the most current firmware versions anyway- it'd be a lot trickier to find the older pre-5% bumps data that way)

Also Teslas "official" numbers are incredibly dishonest- they use (conservative) with-rollout #s for P models, but use no-rollout #s for non-P models (and have been doing so since at least the P85- they used to make this explicit on the website but now don't even make the disclaimer visible anymore)

T
Even with the table data, the 0.5 second lead that the P has up to 60mph seems to be down to 0.3 at the end of the 1/4 mile, so again the P seems to be losing time.

time to speed != time to distance

When both cars have reached 60 mph, the P has traveled a bit further down the 1/4 mile track than the AWD+ right?

If they're identical in acceleration AFTER 60, the P still gets there first- but not by a much time as it GOT to 60 first.

Look at the 1/8 and 1/4 times- BOTH have a difference of about 0.35 seconds between AWD+ and P.

The P isn't "losing" anything in the back half, it's just not gaining like it was at the lower speeds.

Also, @Knightshade in the table you provide above it shows 3.21 for 0-60 for the P model without rollout. Tesla also mentions 3.2 for P for 0-60, why do you say that they are dishonest?

Because Tesla didn't bother to update their public #s after the last "free" power bump for any car- but still dishonestly lists measurements with 2 different standards for P and non-P.

The most obvious way to see it on the 3 is this:

At launch, the LR AWD listed at 4.5. The P listed at 3.5.

This was the first time Tesla ever listed a P honestly by using no rollout for all versions of the car.

A couple months later, they realized their "mistake"- and updated the listed P time to 3.3.

No actual changes to the car. At all.

Just they started, dishonestly, as they've been doing with the S since the P85, including rollout for the P, but not the non-P.

Then the first 5% bump happened, they just knocked 0.1 off both times.

There's been 1 more 5% update since but they didn't change the posted #s for anything despite both cars getting quicker.

Point being- the "real" difference if you honestly use the same measurement, between the P and LR AWD is about 0.8 seconds....no matter which measure you use.

But Tesla advertises the gap at 1.2 seconds.