Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How noticeable is the acceleration boost from a dual motor long range to a performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange, I personally cant confirm this. but 1cm is very little, it may not even be noticeable.

Yeah- at the time this was originally announced (back in 2018) reaction was mostly "why bother?"

It was pretty obvious the "performance upgrade" package...wasn't really an upgrade in most regards.... the wheels were heavier, more prone to damage, but not any wider... the suspension change was hardly noticeable and didn't offer "real" upgrades like magnetic dampers, and the brakes were both underwhelming for the "upgrade" version and made aftermarket wheel choices much harder.... the tires were excellent but that was about it.

Finally almost 2 years later they're asking another $5500 for a "real" upgrade for the wheels/brake pads at least... but all the folks who smartly got a P3D- instead and care about tracking went aftermarket already anyway on that stuff and generally got more for less $.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Yeah- at the time this was originally announced (back in 2018) reaction was mostly "why bother?"

It was pretty obvious the "performance upgrade" package...wasn't really an upgrade in most regards.... the wheels were heavier, more prone to damage, but not any wider... the suspension change was hardly noticeable and didn't offer "real" upgrades like magnetic dampers, and the brakes were both underwhelming for the "upgrade" version and made aftermarket wheel choices much harder.... the tires were excellent but that was about it.

Finally almost 2 years later they're asking another $5500 for a "real" upgrade for the wheels/brake pads at least... but all the folks who smartly got a P3D- instead and care about tracking went aftermarket already anyway on that stuff and generally got more for less $.

i guess you could phrad

Finally almost 2 years later they're asking another $5500 for a "real" upgrade for the wheels/brake pads at least... but all the folks who smartly got a P3D- instead and care about tracking went aftermarket already anyway on that stuff and generally got more for less $.[/

I guess you could upgrade brakes, lower suspension and upgrade wheels via aftermarket products but I’d rather have it all come on the car and manufactured by Tesla themselves. Performance models will also hold a higher value in trade market, not a stealth with several aftermarket upgrades installed via 2nd or 3rd party.

I don’t know how to delete previous response

I guess you could upgrade brakes, lower suspension and upgrade wheels via aftermarket products but I’d rather have it all come on the car and manufactured by Tesla themselves. Performance models will also hold a higher value in trade market, not a stealth with several aftermarket upgrades installed via 2nd or 3rd party.

If you mean trade-in value to non-tesla dealers I'd be very very surprised if any of them knew the difference between a P3D+ and P3D- and they'll probably both price out as a "P" for trade in purposes... meaning those who paid $5000 extra for the + will get $0 back in trade for it.

Trade in to Tesla might matter though.

If you mean trade-in value to non-tesla dealers I'd be very very surprised if any of them knew the difference between a P3D+ and P3D- and they'll probably both price out as a "P" for trade in purposes... meaning those who paid $5000 extra for the + will get $0 back in trade for it.

Trade in to Tesla might matter though.

I was under the impression your car was not listed as an actual performance model, correct me if I’m wrong there’s nothing that actually states your car is a performance model on paper or vin associated info. That would hurt your resale value.

I was under the impression your car was not listed as an actual performance model, correct me if I’m wrong there’s nothing that actually states your car is a performance model on paper or vin associated info. That would hurt your resale value.

That was true on original Ps VINs... (in which case the P+ is an even worse value on resale).

But for 2020 models (which began delivering late 2019) the P finally has a different 8th VIN digit... but it's the same for + or - versions of the P.

• Helpful
That was true on original Ps VINs... (in which case the P+ is an even worse value on resale).

But for 2020 models (which began delivering late 2019) the P finally has a different 8th VIN digit... but it's the same for + or - versions of the P.

Right. So if you have a 2019 LR stealth (or before) youre definitely get getting the same resale as a 2019 (or before) performance model. Which makes sense since you paid significantly less too. The new 2020 P- are now technically true P cars according to vin and registration, so those are the ones that will hold a higher value and bring more money at resale.

*youre definitely *not* getting the same resale as a 2019

Uh...yes you are.

because the two cars, VIN-wise, are identical.

In fact they're both identical to non-P AWD cars.

(this again assumes you're trading in to a clueless 3rd party dealer who knows nothing except what the VIN says)

Whereas a 2020 car the P3D+ and P3D- are still "the same" but at least worth more than the AWD is.

In all above cases, having paid $5000 more for the P3D+ over the - got you $0 extra at trade in time.

(though technically the + package stopped costing $5000 back in January so there's that...)

• Informative
Uh...yes you are.

(this again assumes you're trading in to a clueless 3rd party dealer who knows nothing except what the VIN says)

Whereas a 2020 car the P3D+ and P3D- are still "the same" but at least worth more than the AWD is.

In all above cases, having paid $5000 more for the P3D+ over the - got you $0 extra at trade in time.

(though technically the + package stopped costing $5000 back in January so there's that...)

You’re saying VINs between stealth and performance (pre 2020) is identical? Because before you said they are not. That would affect resale drastically.

Uh...yes you are.

ahh gotcha youre saying there was no difference ie vin wouldn’t even tell you that you had a performance. Gotcha

You’re saying VINs between stealth and performance (pre 2020) is identical?

So first- there's no such thing as a "stealth"

A P3D+ and P3D- are both performance model 3s....just one came + the performance upgrade package that normally cost $5000 more.

And yes their VINs are identical.

Always have been. For every year they've been made.

The only thing that changed for 2020 models is the LR AWD (which is not a performance model at all) is now not ALSO identical anymore as it was for 2018 and 2019 VINs.

• Helpful
Official VIN documentation submitted to nhtsa:

2019: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/08d92abf-3aeb-45ba-ba92-b5ad54b06ff5
For a Model 3 Position 8 is either
A= Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model 3)
B = Dual Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model 3)

2020: https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/54414e8c-d20d-4011-8158-48838c122a87
A = Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model 3)
B = Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model 3)
C = Dual Motor – Performance (Designated for Model 3)

• Informative
There isn't anything else to discuss. How "noticeable" acceleration is between two relatively fast cars is entirely subjective. Once you've discussed the objective metrics (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc), you are left with people's wildly different impressions of acceleration. Not to mention very few posting in this thread have actually driven an LR AWD with acceleration boost and a P3D back-to-back anyway. So pointless thread becomes pointless.