Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often did you use the upgraded AP functions

Do you think it’s worth the $7900 (CAD) upgrade

• Yes

• No

• I’m thinking too

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m debating if it’s useful and effective for the $7,900CAD upgrade

• Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • FSD computer
Coming later this year:

• Recognize traffic lights and stop signs
  • Automatic driving on city streets
How often are these functions being used??

I know there are other functions unlocked with this upgrade too that are not listed (ex. Traffic and satellite views on maps)
Are there any other functions?

It's not as much what does FSD do as opposed to what will FSD be able to do. I use NoA when on the road a lot, along with lane change, it it mainly an investment into the future. And it's a gamble.

If you going to keep the car for a year or so, then you need to look at the resale price to see if it is worth it.
If you are going to keep the car for longer, then do you want to get it now, which may be a a significantly lower price than when the big features become available, or wait until there's a sure thing and possible pay a lot more?

Reactions: JakeTrilla
Man, just answered this question in another thread for UK.

I think auto lane change is very important to avoid having to enable Autosteer whenever you change lanes. That's similar to what TACC does compared to plain cruise control.

FSD on a short lease is probably a bad idea. If you won't be using Autosteer, then the rest of the stuff isn't going to be used much either.

We purchased our 3 with EAP only, for local drives with no traffic jams. However we added FSD when it went on sale for US$2k. Our thinking was HW3 might improve EAP, it might receive updates/new features for a longer time, and maybe FSD would actually be useful. Fine for $2k, but questionable value at higher than that.

Man, just answered this question in another thread for UK.

I think auto lane change is very important to avoid having to enable Autosteer whenever you change lanes. That's similar to what TACC does compared to plain cruise control.....
I have FSD so could be wrong about standard Autopilot but you can just cut the blinker on and it will change lanes in AutoPilot. No need for Navigate on AutoPilot to be on.

M3 was delivered with EAP and subsequently upgraded to FSD. To your question, I like Nav on Autopilot on the highway but don't care for "Auto Lane Change" right now. I don't anticipate using "Automatic driving on city streets" but "Recognize traffic lights and stop signs" is a great safety/backup feature.

For me the kicker was HW3 upgrade. Should improve the range of features top to bottom.

I’m debating if it’s useful and effective for the $7,900CAD upgrade

• Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • FSD computer
Coming later this year:

• Recognize traffic lights and stop signs
  • Automatic driving on city streets
How often are these functions being used??

I know there are other functions unlocked with this upgrade too that are not listed (ex. Traffic and satellite views on maps)
Are there any other functions?

NoA - pretty cool but only works on highways on-ramp to off ramp and I am not sure I need much help doing this to be honest.
Auto Lane Change - again cool as long as you fully trust it. But then again, how hard Is it to check the mirror and change lanes like we have been doing for many years? The blind spot monitoring is there for safety.
Autopark - if it could find me an open spot in a crowded mall parking lot and park the car faster than I can then yes, otherwise no.
Summon - another gimmick. Are you really going to leave the restaurant and say “everybody wait here, let me summon my car to us instead of walking 150 feet to the car?” Now if it could go pick up my to-go order from a local restaurant and then summon my food to me then yes.
FSD Computer - cars shipping now should include HW 3.0 which is supposed to have the processing power to support Tesla’s vision of FSD. That said, I would expect more hardware revisions as well as improved sensors, etc. This is an evolving technology so be prepared to keep upgrading along the way.

The satellite map view comes with the Premium interior, nothing to do with AP or FSD.

As for the traffic light/stop sign detection and automated driving on city streets I am still skeptical at this point. The current AP implementation makes for a herky jerky ride on my streets, late braking, slow accelerating, etc. Great on highway, super annoying on city streets except when you are in a crawling stop and go scenario.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer as I think we will get there but you have to decide for yourself if you feel funding the FSD development effort is worth it to you or not. The reality is if you drop $7900 CAD right now you are not going to be seeing much at all for your money vs. the standard Autopilot feature set.

I know a lot of folks say get FSD it now because the price will be higher in the future. Ok, but how much higher? Should I pay $10-15k for my Tesla to automate more of my driving? At what point would I use that money toward a new car, maybe even a Gen 2 Model 3 that has more improved hardware, cameras, processors, etc.? Also, what if I actually enjoy driving the car myself, rather than just sitting there like like lump? If I want to just sit back and watch shouldn't I just forget buying the car altogether and click for a Lyft or Uber? Maybe I will get picked up by a FSD Model 3. ;)

....Auto Lane Change - again cool as long as you fully trust it. But then again, how hard Is it to check the mirror and change lanes like we have been doing for many years? The blind spot monitoring is there for safety.....Summon - another gimmick. Are you really going to leave the restaurant and say “everybody wait here, let me summon my car to us instead of walking 150 feet to the car?” Now if it could go pick up my to-go order from a local restaurant and then summon my food to me then yes.....
I find that it does a GREAT job of changing lanes, just of mediocre job of deciding WHEN to change with Navigate on AutoPilot switched on. I just use AutoPilot (Navigate off) most of the time and just flip the blinker on when it's best to change lanes and let AutoPilot do the job. Is this only part of FSD or does regular AutoPilot also change lanes by you turning on the signal light?

Also you go in the restaurant and nice and sunny and you come out and it is a torrential downpour. How do you feel about walking 150' now?:eek::D It will likely be 6 months to a year before Enhanced Summon becomes practically useful but there are cases when it would be nice.

We all pay more for stuff later. Depends on when you were born. I used to buy a cup of coffee for 25 cents.
I will never park my M3 in a crowded parking lot. So why would I consider having a car do that for me?

Stop bundling! Let me chose, I will determine what I'm willing to pay for, not Tesla!.

Last edited:
Also you go in the restaurant and nice and sunny and you come out and it is a torrential downpour. How do you feel about walking 150' now?:eek::D It will likely be 6 months to a year before Enhanced Summon becomes practically useful but there are cases when it would be nice.

That scenario is a better use case for the Summon feature for sure but personally I just walk in the rain. Like you say, it is a matter of letting this feature bake a little more. By the way, will insurance cover accidents if the car is moving and you are not in it?

As for the traffic light/stop sign detection and automated driving on city streets I am still skeptical at this point. The current AP implementation makes for a herky jerky ride on my streets, late braking, slow accelerating, etc. Great on highway, super annoying on city streets except when you are in a crawling stop and go scenario.

The current system is explicitly not intended for use on city streets

a fundamental programming assumption of the current system is you are driving on a one-way, divided, roadway, with 0 oncoming or cross-traffic, and no intersections.

So the fact it does not work well someplace that has those features it's specifically assuming don't exist is not at all isn't surprising- nor does it tell you anything useful about the FSD system that will actually be programmed/intended for use on those kinds of roads.

The current system is explicitly not intended for use on city streets

a fundamental programming assumption of the current system is you are driving on a one-way, divided, roadway, with 0 oncoming or cross-traffic, and no intersections.

So the fact it does not work well someplace that has those features it's specifically assuming don't exist is not at all isn't surprising- nor does it tell you anything useful about the FSD system that will actually be programmed/intended for use on those kinds of roads.

Agreed. Patiently waiting to put my HW3.0 to work...

By the time real full self driving is actually ready we'll probably need HW4.0
While I bought FSD I'm not convinced we have enough sensors/equipment or the correct camera's for it to work.

No detected camera or radar to see left or right when pulling out. The side looking camera's are in the B-pillar which is inferior if blocked and are angled down so the distance and view is limited. We humans can lean our head's forward to look around a blocked view intersection (and of course look up and NOT down) and this gives us a 2' to 3' advantage. Even on the Tesla site it only shows about 5 to 6 car lengths of vision and that is not enough IMO. Seems like this may have been a HUGE oversight. Am I missing something here?

I would like to see a Mesh network so cars could be aware of other cars. This could easily be added to driver/ICE cars by an inexpensive and required OBD2 adaptor.

5G communication has a lot of autonomous car features that also could be required.

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 7.20.28 AM.png

While I bought FSD I'm not convinced we have enough sensors/equipment or the correct camera's for it to work.

No detected camera or radar to see left or right when pulling out. The side looking camera's are in the B-pillar which is inferior if blocked and are angled down so the distance and view is limited. We humans can lean our head's forward to look around a blocked view intersection (and of course look up and NOT down) and this gives us a 2' to 3' advantage. Even on the Tesla site it only shows about 5 to 6 car lengths of vision and that is not enough IMO. Seems like this may have been a HUGE oversight. Am I missing something here?

I would like to see a Mesh network so cars could be aware of other cars. This could easily be added to driver/ICE cars by an inexpensive and required OBD2 adaptor.

5G communication has a lot of autonomous car features that also could be required.

View attachment 424918

Good point on the camera view angles. I wonder if they will ever present a composite view of all the cameras so we can see the 360 birds eye view on the display?

Good point on the camera view angles. I wonder if they will ever present a composite view of all the cameras so we can see the 360 birds eye view on the display?
Also add from a point YOU made in another thread is the inability to see rear cross traffic too. If you have limited forward cross traffic and almost no rear cross traffic I don't see how you could EVER be fully autonomous. Seems it would at a minimum need 4 radars added to the front and rear sides.

Also would like to see 360º view added (that is some cool beans) and a desperately miss my rear cross traffic warning. Didn't realize how depended I had become until I don't have it. Now backing I'm leery and have to keep looking back and forth. How 1st world bad is that?

Also add from a point YOU made in another thread is the inability to see rear cross traffic too. If you have limited forward cross traffic and almost no rear cross traffic I don't see how you could EVER be fully autonomous. Seems it would at a minimum need 4 radars added to the front and rear sides.

Also would like to see 360º view added (that is some cool beans) and a desperately miss my rear cross traffic warning. Didn't realize how depended I had become until I don't have it. Now backing I'm leery and have to keep looking back and forth. How 1st world bad is that?

The car backs in when it autoparks. It won't, ever, need rear cross-traffic, because it won't, ever, be backing out of a spot it parked itself in. It'll be pulling out forward (Where it already has multiple cameras and forward radar)