Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you floor the pedal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. A new (to-be) Model 3 LR owner. I'm not a speed junkie but I'm wondering how does frequent flooring the pedal impact long term battery health? I understand that more frequently I push the more it'll impact my range...but I'm wondering how it impacts the long term battery health.
I'm sure I'll be tempted to test the instant torque for a few days once I get my car.
You'll test the torque for a few month

• Funny
Reactions: Tsmod3fsd
Hi. A new (to-be) Model 3 LR owner. I'm not a speed junkie but I'm wondering how does frequent flooring the pedal impact long term battery health? I understand that more frequently I push the more it'll impact my range...but I'm wondering how it impacts the long term battery health.
I'm sure I'll be tempted to test the instant torque for a few days once I get my car.

I have a performance model....pedal to the metal from a standing stop is par for the course. I love this thing! No idea how that will impact battery life, but I honestly could care less. :)

Best,

Reactions: Phlier
Unless you're at a very low SOC or up against something insanely quick (in the right gear) - much faster. I've had no trouble wrecking any car all the way up to ~110 MPH, from a dig or from a roll, at which point you declare victory & call it quits... even down to ~30% SOC.

There's a video somewhere on YT of a guy comparing a side-by-side 0-100 MPH run (or something) @ 10% SOC vs. 100% SOC. For all practical purposes... the difference wasn't worth sweating over IMO.

There are only a handful of exotic supercars (ignoring highly modified cars) that are faster than a 3P to 60mph. So you can shave a couple of tenths of a second or so off the time by tripling the initial purchase cost and dramatically amping up maintenance costs. Even the 700hp Hellcat challenger/chargers have learned to kind wave and granny away from lights. :)

I love this thing!

Best,

There are only a handful of exotic supercars (ignoring highly modified cars) that are faster than a 3P to 60mph. So you can shave a couple of tenths of a second or so off the time by tripling the initial purchase cost and dramatically amping up maintenance costs. Even the 700hp Hellcat challenger/chargers have learned to kind wave and granny away from lights. :)

I love this thing!

Best,
One huge advantage to living out in the boonies is the deserted desert roads. ;)

I came across a Challenger Hellcat owner about six months ago, who immediately asked how I liked my 3, and was surprised when I told him it was a Performance model. He followed me a few miles out of town onto a deserted desert road where we could safely do a bit of racing. I had him good and solid zero to 100, although he started closing the gap starting at about 75. But from a 60 mph roll, he stayed on my rear bumper to 80, then walked me in and past me shortly thereafter. It wasn't like he went zooming by, but he clearly had me beat.

I'm really hoping that the stats will show that the 3's motors are robust enough that they can give us some more top end power. But as it stands right now, the big horsepower boys will reel us in in longer races.

This was on a cold February night, with the density altitude right at sea level. And yes, turbo or supercharged cars *do* suffer from high DA, just not nearly as badly as their normally aspirated cousins. That's a bit beyond the scope of this post, but there's a ton of information out there you can read up on how DA affects forced induction. But I digress...

Yup, if Elon were to drop a note in my Loot Box stating that for a cash injection, he'd give us more HP at higher speeds, I'd be writing that check out right then.

Last edited:
Yup, if Elon were to drop a note in my Loot Box stating that for a cash injection, he'd flatten out the HP curve at higher speeds, I'd be writing that check out right then.

Hell yeah!

I shopped the 3P against an Audi RS7. The Audi could have been easily modified to be equivalent at 0-60 and do the same thing to a 3P that the Challenger Hellcat did to you. However, the up front cost is about double, the insurance is much higher, routine maintenance is painfully expensive, etc. I just don't find myself going that fast at top end, but I do enjoy the quick sprints from a dig and the ability to effortlessly pass anything on the highway without having to think about downshifting.

ICE cars are going to go the way of the vacuum tube in our (I'm middle aged...so knock on wood...heh) lifetime. They'll still exist, but only in relatively small numbers for the nostalgic and those with corner case usage patterns.

Best,

I've had the car a few weeks now (LR AWD w/boost) and I floor it literally every chance I get...not only from a stop, but I find myself frequently jamming it at all different speeds, just to feel that rush of instant torque.

I can only speak for my car, but it becomes a little muted flooring it past 60mph - the pull is respectable, but nothing like flooring it between 10 and 30. I would love to have a little more muscle from 0-30ish, which is why my next one will be a P. :D

Honestly, I'm much more concerned about harming the motors and internal components than I am about reducing the battery life. The launches are pretty violent, even whilst going up to 30mph, and I always have that paranoia in my head about what all the hard launches are doing to the motors and components...my warranty is good for another 2 years (battery warranty another 6yrs), so I guess I'll take my chances for now, because I can NOT stop myself from flooring the damn thing ever chance I get. :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I've had the car a few weeks now (LR AWD w/boost) and I floor it literally every chance I get...not only from a stop, but I find myself frequently jamming it at all different speeds, just to feel that rush of instant torque.

I can only speak for my car, but it becomes a little muted flooring it past 60mph - the pull is respectable, but nothing like flooring it between 10 and 30. I would love to have a little more muscle from 0-30ish, which is why my next one will be a P. :D

Honestly, I'm much more concerned about harming the motors and internal components than I am about reducing the battery life. The launches are pretty violent, even whilst going up to 30mph, and I always have that paranoia in my head about what all the hard launches are doing to the motors and components...my warranty is good for another 2 years (battery warranty another 6yrs), so I guess I'll take my chances for now, because I can NOT stop myself from flooring the damn thing ever chance I get. :cool:
I don't think there are really any concerns regarding the mechanical aspects of this car - FAR less than ICE, at least. No clutches no pistons no nothing. I only worry about the battery.

I don't think there are really any concerns regarding the mechanical aspects of this car - FAR less than ICE, at least. No clutches no pistons no nothing. I only worry about the battery.

I'm surprised to hear anyone say that... I'm really paranoid about it. I would imagine flooring it all the time (like I generally do) puts a good amount of stress on the motors and mechanisms that help drive the motors, etc...

I really wish there were studies on this. I wonder if they actually stress test the motors and components for QC at the gigafactories? I'd imagine they don't do that much QC, considering the amount of stress Elon regularly puts on all employees to just get the cars OUT OUT OUT. o_O

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I floor it all the time. I bought the performance model for a reason. my first 2 teslas even with the performance package, I tried to be conservative energy wise, and it didn't really ever do me any good unless on a road trip. Now with range numbers in the 300s im flooring this car whenever I get the chance.

I'm surprised to hear anyone say that... I'm really paranoid about it. I would imagine flooring it all the time (like I generally do) puts a good amount of stress on the motors and mechanisms that help drive the motors, etc...

I really wish there were studies on this. I wonder if they actually stress test the motors and components for QC at the gigafactories? I'd imagine they don't do that much QC, considering the amount of stress Elon regularly puts on all employees to just get the cars OUT OUT OUT. o_O

Taking anything to the limit more often will wear it out faster, its just physics. That said we really don't know if that means CV's every 60k or every 200k. I imagine that the CV joints and suspension bushings and joints will certainly need replacement more often with the extra torque.