Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you Super Charge?

How often do you Super Charge?

• Zero, or I rarely ever Super Charge.

Votes: 135 44.3%
  • 1 to 5 times per month

Votes: 119 39.0%
  • 6 to 10 times per month

Votes: 30 9.8%
  • 11 to 20 times per month

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 21 to 30 times per month

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer to avoid Superchargers since the ones in Southern California are always so busy. I had to use one today at Cabazon by the Outlet Mall on the way to Palm Springs. Every bay was in use and there was a line of Teslas wrapped around the parking lot waiting for a bay. It took me 30 minutes to get a bay, and then charging was only 150 miles per hour because of the heavy usage. I would not want to do that on a regular basis.

I prefer to avoid Superchargers since the ones in Southern California are always so busy. I had to use one today at Cabazon by the Outlet Mall on the way to Palm Springs. Every bay was in use and there was a line of Teslas wrapped around the parking lot waiting for a bay. It took me 30 minutes to get a bay, and then charging was only 150 miles per hour because of the heavy usage. I would not want to do that on a regular basis.

That’s brutal. Nothing like that here in Ontario yet.
I’ve yet to see a full bank anywhere. I’m sure it’s happened, just very infrequent.

Well, I’m surprised by the poll results.
Over 40% of respondents barely ever use a supercharger.
I fully expected to see most people charging at least once a week for various reasons.

I use my car for work, not just commuting.
I guess if I didn’t, I may also have no need to super charge that often.

I’m at around 98% battery capacity, using Superchargers 10 times a month.
I only charge to 90% though.

I have 16,000 miles or 26,000 km’s on mine so far. Had it 5.5 months
I’m starting to think I may use the superchargers too often now, given these results.

Well, I’m surprised by the poll results.
Over 40% of respondents barely ever use a supercharger.
I fully expected to see most people charging at least once a week for various reasons.

I use my car for work, not just commuting.
I guess if I didn’t, I may also have no need to super charge that often.

I’m at around 98% battery capacity, using Superchargers 10 times a month.
I only charge to 90% though.

I have 16,000 miles or 26,000 km’s on mine so far. Had it 5.5 months
I’m starting to think I may use the superchargers too often now, given these results.

FWIW the average american drives between 10-30 miles a day. They have 0 reason to ever use a supercharger other than for long road trips unless they have no access to home charging (and most do).

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I super charge about 10 times a month.
Just wondering how many times would be considered harmless, and how many times would be considered not great for the battery.

I don’t think there is any documentation about this, so I wanted to know what others thought. ?
Around 1½yrs ago or more - folks with the necessary monitoring tools documented throttle-down - where supercharging's maximum potential no longer was available. The algorithm was not disclosed by tesla (how frequently - or how many charges), except to the effect that you could actually experiencing it by regularly using CHAdeMO - which frequently only charges at a rate of ~40kW's. But Tesla did finally admit the algorithm exists.

• Informative
Around 1½yrs ago or more - folks with the necessary monitoring tools documented throttle-down - where supercharging's maximum potential no longer was available. The algorithm was not disclosed by tesla (how frequently - or how many charges), except to the effect that you could actually experiencing it by regularly using CHAdeMO - which frequently only charges at a rate of ~40kW's. But Tesla did finally admit the algorithm exists.

I wonder if there are any model 3 owners that super charge a lot, that have found a reduced charge rate due to this algorithm. ?
Doesn't seem to be any mention of this yet. I don't think there are even many Model S or X owners that this has occurred with either.
I believe Tesla Bjorn did have this on his X, but I'm not aware of anyone else.

• Informative
I only supercharge on road trips where round trip is greater than 180 mi and that's happened 4 times, which is about every 1000 mi of driving. The NEMA 14-50 circuit charged the car up to my daily drive level of 90% easily in an overnight charge even when it was down to 18% after one of my road trips.

Keep us posted.
Do you know what your current degradation percentage is. ?
I have 16,000 miles or 26,000 km’s on mine so far. Had it 5.5 months. I’m at about 98% capacity still.
What's your minimum SoC when you arrive at a SC? I've noticed when SoC is dropped down below 30% the charge rate is near 120kW up to ~50% SoC before the charge rate declines. And when performing an overnight charge at your destination ideal range seems to be reset. For me I do 90% daily charge and after a period of time the ideal range will drop to as low as 277 (ideal is 279). But after the SoC was dropped to below 30% the following evening charge went back to the ideal 279 mi. I've also noticed i'm back to 278 or 279 every evening as temps warm back to more normal levels.

Forgot to report my 100% charge Monday (until now). GOM showed 304 miles at 100% vs 310 rated. Assuming that is degradation (not BMS calibration or other issues) I’m looking at about 2% degradation now. Car is almost 5 months old with 21k miles on it. Completed a 484 mile drive on Thursday that included 2 Supercharging sessions, first one 17 minutes and the second 30 minutes. Both stops coincided with a bio break so there was very little “wasted” time. Man I am loving this car.

Took a 3k mile trip the moment I got my LR3 in March of 2018 and SC'd multiple times of course from Dallas to Orlando.

Since that time last year I think I have SC'd maybe once just for fun in Arlington at the Rangers stadium.
I charge at home daily so no need but love the option.

I wonder if there are any model 3 owners that super charge a lot, that have found a reduced charge rate due to this algorithm. ?
Doesn't seem to be any mention of this yet. I don't think there are even many Model S or X owners that this has occurred with either.
I believe Tesla Bjorn did have this on his X, but I'm not aware of anyone else.

I believe this infamous Supercharging throttling was happening only on the 90 battery packs: If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

As for any Model 3, I haven't found any yet. The best I found was nearly half a year ago, someone put on 17k miles and supercharged 95% of the time and noticed no degradation:
Is supercharging bad for my model 3 : teslamotors

It's under the History link at the top of the page. However, if you have free Supercharging I don't think those sessions will appear. That was my experience for the first 6 months. A couple of sessions were charged and logged, but at least a dozen weren't.

I can confirm that with unlimited Supercharging, it won't show history in the car nor online account. I never kept track how many times I have Supercharged, but I exclusively Supercharge since the day I bought my car. I already have over 6,000 miles. I have seen where my reported range has fluctuated between 1-2% after Supercharging. It appears that early observation of battery degradation isn't real due to fluctuation of seasonal temperatures (winter vs. summer) and the various depth of discharged battery to charge at (10-50% SOC).

Right now, my area is experiencing spring temperatures, so the car is slowly warming up. I still experience regen brake limitation to about 4 dots in the morning. Currently seeing 272 miles when charged to 90% SOC. Been frequently Supercharging my car when it drops down to about 50% SOC. I have seen where after Supercharging, my SOC has increased by about 4 miles. So in my case, temperature plays a role effecting my reported range in my Model 3.

Where do you look up SC use?
If you haven't looked into something like TeslaFi, I would suggest it if you like statistics and the overall status of your vehicle and driving.

Answering the OP, I SC a lot. I live close to one and use it to knock off large chunks and then plug in a slow drip at home (12V) occasionally. I also drive a lot and use SC all over the place on the East Coast. I have yet to roll up on a full SC, but there was one in Raleigh close to capacity last week.

We are getting to a point where the network needs to expand a little faster in certain areas, and we fill in gaps in others.

I tend to use Superchargers quite often (twice to three times a week), since I have a Supercharger within 10 minutes of my home and it's seldom busy (16 stations with usually less that three in use). Also, since I have free lifetime Supercharging, I prefer that to home charging. I do have a Tesla wall charger set up at home and top off the battery to 90% when I know I'll be doing a lot of driving the next day. I haven''t noticed any battery degradation yet with just over 15,000 miles on the car. It's a performance model though, and I typically show about 270 mile range at 90%, but what I actually get varies on the usual factors of driving style, heater use, outside temperature, weather, etc.

I just checked right now with the car charge at 90%, and it's showing 272 miles of range (but 283 if I pull up the chart that predicts range based on the last 30 mile average consumption).

I tend to use Superchargers quite often (twice to three times a week), since I have a Supercharger within 10 minutes of my home and it's seldom busy (16 stations with usually less that three in use). Also, since I have free lifetime Supercharging, I prefer that to home charging. I do have a Tesla wall charger set up at home and top off the battery to 90% when I know I'll be doing a lot of driving the next day. I haven''t noticed any battery degradation yet with just over 15,000 miles on the car. It's a performance model though, and I typically show about 270 mile range at 90%, but what I actually get varies on the usual factors of driving style, heater use, outside temperature, weather, etc.

I just checked right now with the car charge at 90%, and it's showing 272 miles of range (but 283 if I pull up the chart that predicts range based on the last 30 mile average consumption).

So with a lot of supercharging, and 15,000 miles you’re at about 97% SOC still.
Not too shabby.