Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you use Smart Summon in public?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried it a couple of times when it came out, but that's it. It's scary enough having a huge hunk of metal driving about on its own, but in a parking lot I would like the ability to honk the horn at anyone backing out into the Tesla, and that feature's not there. With people milling about I'm not comfortable with the vehicle not being under my complete control.

Reactions: BadWolf
I just picked up Wanderlust at Tesla service center and the gal went to get the car- I asked “Can’t I just summon it?” She laughed and said “Sure!” Well I couldn’t get to the target location and gave up. But I know I want to start trying this out!

I haven’t tried it yet (had mine for a little over a month) but want to...but also super nervous that it will f up and hit a curb or someone will hit the car.
I felt the same way. I took my car to an empty parking lot and practice. Tried different parking scenarios and summoned from different locations. This gave me confidence in using it. It’s a great feature and one you paid for. Might as well use it.

Reactions: Koolio46
I tried in front of my house only to realize it will not work on public streets which I understand however did not know at the time. I then tried it out in the office parking lot which worked fine. Have not used it yet nor will I unless the occasion arrises in a major down pour or the car is sitting in a big puddle after a down pour or some other reason that would qualify its use. Used summon on the car lift when I needed to move it a few inches to accommodate the lift pad location though. Can see summon being convenient when someone has parked too close to get into the vehicle without seriously sucking it in the be able to get in. Not sure if its me with age but I prefer to believe the parking lot spaces are getting narrower. :rolleyes: I am officially in the WWW group as I like to call it. Wiser\Whiter\Wider. :D

I felt the same way. I took my car to an empty parking lot and practice. Tried different parking scenarios and summoned from different locations. This gave me confidence in using it. It’s a great feature and one you paid for. Might as well use it.
Yeah, I plan to use it when the occasion arises...but will do like you and test it in an empty parking lot or something first.

I use it for in an out the garage.
Not consistent, works about 75% of the time.
Sometime it will stop half way OUT and sometime half way IN the garage, sometime it refuses to back up while there is nothing there.
Tried smart summon in a public parking while there was no cars around, it decided to back up but there was no place to back up!
Tried is yesterday, under the rain with regular summon and it almost more fine, it backed up in a straight line and stop 10 feet short and would not move, may be the blue lines were an issue.
It is set to tight space, still working on characterizing it...

So with winter upon us, if you were driving alone and got stuck, could you use the basic summon and push at the same time? I do not think summon will work if on a public road, but I thought I would ask anyway if in your driveway or a parking lot. Obvious concerns about not running over yourself, but it would be a nice party trick to have in your back pocket, if that could work. :D

So with winter upon us, if you were driving alone and got stuck, could you use the basic summon and push at the same time? I do not think summon will work if on a public road, but I thought I would ask anyway if in your driveway or a parking lot. Obvious concerns about not running over yourself, but it would be a nice party trick to have in your back pocket, if that could work. :D
So I... I mean my friend had a model S that had trouble getting over the lip in my, I mean his, garage while using summon. A little push on the bumper seems to do the trick

• Funny
Reactions: Koolio46