Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How predictable are the end of quarter diacounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read incidental mention of discounts on new purchases at the end of fiscal quarters.

Does anyone know if such discounts are consistently present?
Predicable, reliable, etc?

Wondering if the possible discount is worth delaying purchase til the end of this year/end of the 4th quarter?

If you are looking for discounts, your best bet is looking out for inventory cars with APv1. I am pretty sure you'll find them for a great price towards the end of the quarter. Do no expect any consideration all on cars equipped with APv2. They will go for full price.

If you are looking for discounts, your best bet is looking out for inventory cars with APv1. I am pretty sure you'll find them for a great price towards the end of the quarter. Do no expect any consideration all on cars equipped with APv2. They will go for full price.
Are inventory cars listed was regular inventory on the site or should I make my desires known to an agent and let that person search for me?

consider that when Tesla displays motivated selling behavior, that some meaningful change is coming that cannot be upgraded to existing stock, and there will be a need for new stock to display the new attributes.

RWD -> AWD
no AP -> AP1 -> AP2
interior quality (eg seats)

my next bet is a model X specific
fold flat seats.

Do not consider the discounts due to demand softening, but to a desire to drawdown old stock. Last discounts were to move stock with the outgoing AP1. (even if it was 'new' stock)

Tesla is as motivated hide upcoming features, as they are to hype upcoming vehicles. For valid reason

Anyone can refer me to owner advisor that great to work with? I live in Diamond Bar (Southern Cali), and I went to Brea Retail store and doesn't get good vibe with the "Owner Advisor" there.

Thanks

I worked with Adam Roda at Brea. He was great. In the heat of the now non-allowed discounts he was able to find me some inventory options for the features I cared about. Ended up with a great car and price. Picked it up it Sept from the factory with 7 miles on it. On the day it was ready for pic-up, it was awesome to fly up there, get the factory tour, and then road trip back down to SoCal same day.

• Another fire sale in December is likely because Tesla needs to achieve 80K sales in 2016. Check out the last bullet point in this shareholder letter. They need 26,288 sales in Q4, slightly more than Q3's 24,500 number.
  • Discounts will be almost entirely in the USA because they have to deliver the car before December is over. Long transit times wouldn't allow for non-USA discounts. However, there are buyers in Europe and Asia who have not yet taken delivery of their Autopilot 1.0 cars. There will be some rejected deliveries. A few hundred discounted Autopilot 1.0 cars in Europe and Asia (mostly Model X) is likely.
  • The fire sale might start around Dec 10th and end around Dec 22nd. Currently, Tesla is focused on clearing all Model S and X orders in Europe and Asia. This includes the right-hand drive countries Australia, UK and Japan where they have yet to deliver the first Model X cars. After those deliveries are done, they will clear the order list in North America, while at the same time slowly building up an inventory. Just before the fire sale starts, the time from order to delivery will be at its shortest, maybe less than 2 weeks.
  • Most discounts will be on brand new Model S cars produced without anybody ordering them. Tesla doesn't have enough 100 kWh batteries. Therefore it will be a mix of Model S P100DL, P90D and S75D.

Last edited:
Elon sent around a company-wide memo that there will be no more discounting of the type that occurred in September. Tesla CEO Elon Musk Responds To reddit Controversy About Discounts

If you are ok with a demo or loaner that has a few miles on it, you may be able to get a discount under Tesla's normal pricing plan for inventory cars. As others have said, if Tesla is trying to sell a discontinued model (e.g., P90 or AP1.0 model) that will likely have some sort of discount that goes with it.

But I wouldn't expect to see the type of discounts that took place in September this quarter or any time in the foreseeable future.

• Informative
Reactions: NWeHunt
I can see a repeat of last quarter's discounts. Who would choose a car with the old autopilot hardware if the new hardware is available for a few thousand dollars more?

Exactly. There are a lot of inventory AP 1 cars that just lost $5,000 in value.

There are some deals to be had for an inventory car with AP 1 hardware. Tesla is going to realize that in a few weeks when they start wondering why all of their inventory models are just gathering dust at full price.

Exactly. There are a lot of inventory AP 1 cars that just lost $5,000 in value.

There are some deals to be had for an inventory car with AP 1 hardware. Tesla is going to realize that in a few weeks when they start wondering why all of their inventory models are just gathering dust at full price.

I am sure that there will be discounts on inventory vehicles with AP1. There will almost always be discounts available on discontinued or older models (like pre-refresh Ss.)

That's good news for the small percentage of buyers who are not interested in AP2.0 or self-driving capability. If the OP is ok with AP1 there will undoubtedly be deals at some point.

I'm going to guess that Elon will redefine what he said about discounts. I would say that new AP2 cars will not be discounted unless they were loaners. Strictly inventory cars with AP1 will probably start getting discounted relatively soon and will go fast. No need to wait, they want to shake of inventory (who wants to keep a lot of inventory?) The way those discounts will be justified is that they aren't the latest car, which seems like a reasonable reason to discount. I have no idea how many of those cars even exist.

• Informative
Reactions: martinicus