TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How predictable are the end of quarter diacounts

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cooksomerice, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

I have read incidental mention of discounts on new purchases at the end of fiscal quarters.

Does anyone know if such discounts are consistently present?
    Predicable, reliable, etc?

Wondering if the possible discount is worth delaying purchase til the end of this year/end of the 4th quarter?

2. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

If you are looking for discounts, your best bet is looking out for inventory cars with APv1. I am pretty sure you'll find them for a great price towards the end of the quarter. Do no expect any consideration all on cars equipped with APv2. They will go for full price.

3. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

Are inventory cars listed was regular inventory on the site or should I make my desires known to an agent and let that person search for me?

4. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Talking to a person within Tesla that is willing to do the legwork for you on inventory cars is the way to go. The best deals came through such contacts rather than buys of the website.

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

The discounts were not offered in the past. No telling about the future. Perhaps right before a model change, but I wouldn't expect it every quarter.

6. renim

renim Member

consider that when Tesla displays motivated selling behavior, that some meaningful change is coming that cannot be upgraded to existing stock, and there will be a need for new stock to display the new attributes.

RWD -> AWD
    no AP -> AP1 -> AP2
    interior quality (eg seats)

my next bet is a model X specific
    fold flat seats.

Do not consider the discounts due to demand softening, but to a desire to drawdown old stock. Last discounts were to move stock with the outgoing AP1. (even if it was 'new' stock)

Tesla is as motivated hide upcoming features, as they are to hype upcoming vehicles. For valid reason

7. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

Anyone can refer me to owner advisor that great to work with? I live in Diamond Bar (Southern Cali), and I went to Brea Retail store and doesn't get good vibe with the "Owner Advisor" there.

Thanks

8. NWeHunt

NWeHunt Member

I worked with Adam Roda at Brea. He was great. In the heat of the now non-allowed discounts he was able to find me some inventory options for the features I cared about. Ended up with a great car and price. Picked it up it Sept from the factory with 7 miles on it. On the day it was ready for pic-up, it was awesome to fly up there, get the factory tour, and then road trip back down to SoCal same day.

9. mrtian97

mrtian97 Member

thanks for the info, for the factory tour, is it only avail when we pick up the car?

10. NWeHunt

NWeHunt Member

I am not sure and failed to ask if I could come back for another tour, this time with my wife as she couldn't make the trip. It really was a great part of the experience and would highly recommend it to anyone picking up their Tesla on the West Coast to do it there.

11. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    • Another fire sale in December is likely because Tesla needs to achieve 80K sales in 2016. Check out the last bullet point in this shareholder letter. They need 26,288 sales in Q4, slightly more than Q3's 24,500 number.
    • Discounts will be almost entirely in the USA because they have to deliver the car before December is over. Long transit times wouldn't allow for non-USA discounts. However, there are buyers in Europe and Asia who have not yet taken delivery of their Autopilot 1.0 cars. There will be some rejected deliveries. A few hundred discounted Autopilot 1.0 cars in Europe and Asia (mostly Model X) is likely.
    • The fire sale might start around Dec 10th and end around Dec 22nd. Currently, Tesla is focused on clearing all Model S and X orders in Europe and Asia. This includes the right-hand drive countries Australia, UK and Japan where they have yet to deliver the first Model X cars. After those deliveries are done, they will clear the order list in North America, while at the same time slowly building up an inventory. Just before the fire sale starts, the time from order to delivery will be at its shortest, maybe less than 2 weeks.
    • Most discounts will be on brand new Model S cars produced without anybody ordering them. Tesla doesn't have enough 100 kWh batteries. Therefore it will be a mix of Model S P100DL, P90D and S75D.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

You can schedule a tour for anytime you'd like.

• Informative x 1
  13. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Elon sent around a company-wide memo that there will be no more discounting of the type that occurred in September. Tesla CEO Elon Musk Responds To reddit Controversy About Discounts

If you are ok with a demo or loaner that has a few miles on it, you may be able to get a discount under Tesla's normal pricing plan for inventory cars. As others have said, if Tesla is trying to sell a discontinued model (e.g., P90 or AP1.0 model) that will likely have some sort of discount that goes with it.

But I wouldn't expect to see the type of discounts that took place in September this quarter or any time in the foreseeable future.

• Informative x 1
  14. Ormond

Ormond Member

I can see a repeat of last quarter's discounts. Who would choose a car with the old autopilot hardware if the new hardware is available for a few thousand dollars more?

15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

you mean $8000 more - $5000 for Enhanced Auto Pilot and another $3000 for "Self Driving".

• Like x 1
  16. RocketGoBoom

RocketGoBoom Member

17. RocketGoBoom

RocketGoBoom Member

Exactly. There are a lot of inventory AP 1 cars that just lost $5,000 in value.

There are some deals to be had for an inventory car with AP 1 hardware. Tesla is going to realize that in a few weeks when they start wondering why all of their inventory models are just gathering dust at full price.

18. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I am sure that there will be discounts on inventory vehicles with AP1. There will almost always be discounts available on discontinued or older models (like pre-refresh Ss.)

That's good news for the small percentage of buyers who are not interested in AP2.0 or self-driving capability. If the OP is ok with AP1 there will undoubtedly be deals at some point.

19. Grossie

Grossie Member

I'm going to guess that Elon will redefine what he said about discounts. I would say that new AP2 cars will not be discounted unless they were loaners. Strictly inventory cars with AP1 will probably start getting discounted relatively soon and will go fast. No need to wait, they want to shake of inventory (who wants to keep a lot of inventory?) The way those discounts will be justified is that they aren't the latest car, which seems like a reasonable reason to discount. I have no idea how many of those cars even exist.

• Informative x 1
  20. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

My bet is that as the end of the quarter nears, and the numbers are coming up short, the fire sale will begin anew.