Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Model Y for nearly two weeks now and I’ve been thinking about security. You hear stories about car signals being exploited and stolen within minutes etc.

How secure are our Tesla’s? I know they emit a Bluetooth signal for the phone unlocking etc.

I’m also thinking of installing a drive way security post as we have a lot of cars stolen in this area (Bexley) such as Range Rovers and BMW’s.

Reactions: Ricecooker and PITA
Whilst older Tesla’s have been taken, as far as I can tell, only 1 Model 3 has ever been reported stolen in the UK (as of last Sep when I enquired). They are not susceptible to the same methods of theft as most high end cars (key signal relay etc). Whilst you could steal the key cards etc, these cars are so connected to Tesla, even if they did take one, it’d be useless except for some dumb parts.

Long may this continue!

I’ve had my Model Y for nearly two weeks now and I’ve been thinking about security. You hear stories about car signals being exploited and stolen within minutes etc.

How secure are our Tesla’s? I know they emit a Bluetooth signal for the phone unlocking etc.

I’m also thinking of installing a drive way security post as we have a lot of cars stolen in this area (Bexley) such as Range Rovers and BMW’s.

Sorry but the Security on Tesla's can be bypassed.

Moderators on here know how as well, but thankfully deleted the vulnerability details when they were discovered and published.

Some non-Tesla generic security tips here

I have RAM Bollards on my driveway, plus driveway Camera's (Sentry Mode is seperate), plus two factor authentication on my Tesla account to block unauthorised access, plus PIN to drive to stop attempted car-jacking, plus wheel locking bolts and now use a steering lock as well (especially when parked away from home).

I've even got access to use a Ground Anchor (which is used for motorcycles on the driveway) should any threat emerge where I felt a need to use it.

RAM bollards on your driveway will also stop random people/companies parking on your driveway, blocking access to your own car parking space. Which is currently Legal to do in the UK. If your car isn't parked on your driveway overnight it may not be insured against theft within 1/4 mile from your home. So ensuring your Driveway is available is important.

All physical security can be breached, the idea is to just slow them down or put them off completely.

Don't make it so easy to give an opportunist with a 'technology exploit trick' access and ability to drive away in a £60k car.

A targeted attack won't stop thieves though... because at the end of the day, the easiest target is YOU.

20220327_193456.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst older Tesla’s have been taken, as far as I can tell, only 1 Model 3 has ever been reported stolen in the UK (as of last Sep when I enquired). They are not susceptible to the same methods of theft as most high end cars (key signal relay etc). Whilst you could steal the key cards etc, these cars are so connected to Tesla, even if they did take one, it’d be useless except for some dumb parts.

Long may this continue!

Tesla has it's own set of unique vulnerabilities.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If someone really wants to nick it then they will - just drive up with a flatbed and skates or a hoist and away it goes on the back of a truck with false plates. If they're wearing high-viz jackets and Covid masks then your neighbours will probably help load it. Once reported stolen, they wouldn't be able to use superchargers but there are options. Most likely it'd be stripped for parts and shipped in little boxes in the direction of Romania or Latvia. Key cards and P2D will stop the simple approach but again it’s not hard for someone to lurk near your fav supermarket and see if they can spot you entering the PIN - even a couple of digits makes finding the number easier with endless chances.

Reactions: Ricecooker
Moderators on here know how as well, but thankfully deleted the vulnerability details when they were discovered and published.

As an ex ‘moderator on here’, this is news to me. These sorts of things get discussed off public forum so I would have been aware had they been posted in the last couple of years or so. Early Model S/X key fob yes, but not newer security. But even the early hack would be in public domain.

If someone really wants to nick it then they will - just drive up with a flatbed and skates or a hoist and away it goes on the back of a truck with false plates. If they're wearing high-viz jackets and Covid masks then your neighbours will probably help load it. Once reported stolen, they wouldn't be able to use superchargers but there are options. Most likely it'd be stripped for parts and shipped in little boxes in the direction of Romania or Latvia. Key cards and P2D will stop the simple approach but again it’s not hard for someone to lurk near your fav supermarket and see if they can spot you entering the PIN - even a couple of digits makes finding the number easier with endless chances.

Way easier ways than that... you're describing the hard ways. Smart Thieves don't like confrontation or high risk.

I would always recommend a blend of physical security, electronic security & discipline. Just make it hard for them, not so easy that you become a juicy ripe easy take.

Your Insurance Company will soon get fed up of cheap Premiums :D

By the way... when at regular Public Places don't use PIN... Use your Smart phone App and remote start. Then nobody sees you entering a PIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roger20
Sorry but the Security on Tesla's can be bypassed.

Some non-Tesla generic security tips here

I have RAM Bollards on my driveway, plus driveway Camera's (Sentry Mode is seperate), plus two factor authentication on my Tesla account to block unauthorised access, plus PIN to drive to stop attempted car-jacking, plus wheel locking bolts and now use a steering lock as well (especially when parked away from home).

I've even got access to use a Ground Anchor (which is used for motorcycles on the driveway) should any threat emerge where I felt a need to use it.

RAM bollards on your driveway will also stop random people/companies parking on your driveway, blocking access to your own car parking space. Which is currently Legal to do in the UK. If your car isn't parked on your driveway overnight it may not be insured against theft within 1/4 mile from your home. So ensuring your Driveway is available is important.

All physical security can be breached, the idea is to just slow them down or put them off completely.

Don't make it so easy to give an opportunist with a 'technology exploit trick' access and ability to drive away in a £60k car.

A targeted attack won't stop thieves though... because at the end of the day, the easiest target is YOU.

View attachment 787755
What no moat?

As an ex ‘moderator on here’, this is news to me. These sorts of things get discussed off public forum so I would have been aware had they been posted in the last couple of years or so. Early Model S/X key fob yes, but not newer security. But even the early hack would be in public domain.

Then it must have been the Original Poster who deleted it (at my suggestion)... if you lot are not aware of it.

... and it's a good job it was deleted.

Very few Tesla’s are stolen because they are very easy to track and become 1/2 useless without connecting to the mothership. There doesn’t seem to be lots of demand in stolen on demand for export markets or 2nd hand parts yet (except wheels because they get curbed).

Relay Attack / Wireless
Older model S is vulnerable to relay attack. Newer Model 3 & Y that’s much much harder to do with Bluetooth and hasn’t really been seen in the wild.

Account Security
Set a unique password on your Tesla account and use a password locker. Turn on 2FA. Use anti- virus and update your computer. Don’t share your password. Think about those 3rd party apps very carefully - do you know they are secure because they have the keys to your car and they know where it is. One app did recently have a leak.

Physical
Don’t leave your phone by the front door or on display. Pin 2 drive - might just put you in a difficult situation / threat of physical violence if someone really wants you car.

No computer access means the drive train is locked, the only option is to physically pick it up.

You’ll be ok.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors and PITA
Very few Tesla’s are stolen because they are very easy to track and become 1/2 useless without connecting to the mothership. There doesn’t seem to be lots of demand in stolen on demand for export markets or 2nd hand parts yet (except wheels because they get curbed).

Relay Attack / Wireless
Older model S is vulnerable to relay attack. Newer Model 3 & Y that’s much much harder to do with Bluetooth and hasn’t really been seen in the wild.

Account Security
Set a unique password on your Tesla account and use a password locker. Turn on 2FA. Use anti- virus and update your computer. Don’t share your password. Think about those 3rd party apps very carefully - do you know they are secure because they have the keys to your car and they know where it is. One app did recently have a leak.

Physical
Don’t leave your phone by the front door or on display. Pin 2 drive - might just put you in a difficult situation / threat of physical violence if someone really wants you car.

No computer access means the drive train is locked, the only option is to physically pick it up.

You’ll be ok.

Unfortunately, you're relying heavily on defensive 'digital techniques' above.

That's not enough.

Physical Security is important.

The technique I'm aware of bypasses all the above recommendations and only Physical Security would stop it.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Tesla’s BT-based security on the Model 3 and Y (and newer S and X, even if you can’t buy one!) seems pretty bulletproof at present. I’m not aware of any technical hack on them. Of course, the usual human factors are still there (stealing phone/card and forcing PIN details under duress). But given the connected nature of the cars, it seems to me that theft has become rather pointless. Without a V5 you won’t get a car linked to a Tesla account. So, it does seem that Teslas are way better than most cars in this respect.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Guess I’m in the minority then lol. I just think along the lines of I’ve paid insurance for years (30+), never claimed (apart from a couple of windscreen repairs), if its stolen then so be it. It’s not the end of the 🌎 it’s just a car that can be replaced.
No offence to anyone who fits bollards or any other expensive anti theft items, everyone feels differently about their possessions but I won’t be spending anymore money to help out insurance companies lol.

Guess I’m in the minority then lol. I just think along the lines of I’ve paid insurance for years (30+), never claimed (apart from a couple of windscreen repairs), if its stolen then so be it. It’s not the end of the 🌎 it’s just a car that can be replaced.
No offence to anyone who fits bollards or any other expensive anti theft items, everyone feels differently about their possessions but I won’t be spending anymore money to help out insurance companies lol.
my thoughts exactly - there's an insurance for that.

yeah, some kind of inconvenience, but come on...