Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to confirm Auto Pilot on a Used Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am planning to buy a used 2016/2017 New Body style Model S, I found a couple of vehicles at other Car dealerships which are 200+ miles from me.

I want to confirm if the vehicle has AutoPilot or not, I asked the dealership the question but do not trust them. I dont want to waste my time going there.

Is there a way to check it using the VIN number or otherwise.

Thanks

All Teslas built from from Oct 2014 has Autopilot hardware. But that doesn't mean the car has Autopilot. It still needs to have the software activated (paid for).

Have the dealer take a picture of the settings page that shows if Autopilot is activated.

Last edited:
Reactions: .jg. and Need
...200+ miles from me...

Hardware:

You can ask someone to stand in front of the car and take a picture the camera assembly around the rearview mirror level.

If there's only 1 camera, that's AP1.

2D6BE98F00000578-3273093-image-a-16_1444929923666.jpg

If there are 3 cameras, that's AP2.

tesla-model-3-forward-facing-cameras-e1538210713783.jpg

If there's none, that's a classic manual car.

models_hero_hwy1.jpg

For software, see the answer from @Russell above

All 2016/2017, new body style cars will have the hardware for AutoPilot. The best way to confirm whether it's enabled is to ask the dealer to snap a photo of the driver's assist setting page.

I get what you're after and it has to be a picture of the display as others have said. But the quickest way to tell AP1 from 2 hardware is not the rearview pictures as others have suggested... because so few people take close-ups of the windshield and the glare makes most useless. I find it easist to look at the front quarterpanel, and see if the Tesla emblem is all silver, or part silver and part camera.......see the picture below: AP1 on left AP2 on the right:

Attachments

• test1v2 tesla.jpg
    test1v2 tesla.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 791
I get what you're after and it has to be a picture of the display as others have said. But the quickest way to tell AP1 from 2 hardware is not the rearview pictures as others have suggested... because so few people take close-ups of the windshield and the glare makes most useless. I find it easist to look at the front quarterpanel, and see if the Tesla emblem is all silver, or part silver and part camera.......see the picture below: AP1 on left AP2 on the right:
The OP's question was how confirm whether the car AutoPilot, not whether the car has AP1 or AP2 hardware. Pictures from the outside will not tell you that.

PS> There have been owners with AP1 or non-AP cars who purchased the AP2 side markers and installed them for aesthetics. There was discussion on one such AP1 car recently here on TMC.

If it’s a 2016/2017, it will have the hardware. The question is, is the Autopilot software enabled?

Ask them to send you a pic of the tab called “Autopilot” on the MCU (the big screen in the interior).

If that tab is there, it should be enabled.

Other thing you’ll want to know is if it’s AP1 or AP2 which I believe is addressed up thread.

Good luck.

All 2016/2017, new body style cars will have the hardware for AutoPilot. The best way to confirm whether it's enabled is to ask the dealer to snap a photo of the driver's assist setting page.
You are incorrect, there are plenty of new body style 2016s without AP2 hardware....be careful OP. No
The OP's question was how confirm whether the car AutoPilot, not whether the car has AP1 or AP2 hardware. Pictures from the outside will not tell you that.

PS> There have been owners with AP1 or non-AP cars who purchased the AP2 side markers and installed them for aesthetics. There was discussion on one such AP1 car recently here on TMC.[/QUOTE

PS> There have been owners with AP1 or non-AP cars who purchased the AP2 side markers and installed them for aesthetics. There was discussion on one such AP1 car recently here on TMC.

I get, and that's what I said. But then I added further info.

As to your second point, much like the owner who removed the 75D badge and put P100D....or the opposite like Tesla who puts 60 badges on 75 cars because the purchaser didn't want to pay for the software unlock...

Dzm

You are incorrect, there are plenty of new body style 2016s without AP2 hardware....be careful OP.
Actually you are incorrect because you insist on telling people their answer incorrect simply because you didn't read the question. The question was:
I want to confirm if the vehicle has AutoPilot or not
Not whether the car has AP1 or AP2 hardware. All 2016 cars have AP hardware. Some have AP1, some AP2, some AP2.5. Some have it enabled, some don't. Some are black, some are white, some are other colors - all irrelevant to the OP's question, which can be answered with a picture of the appropriate settings screen.

As to your second point, much like the owner who removed the 75D badge and put P100D....or the opposite like Tesla who puts 60 badges on 75 cars because the purchaser didn't want to pay for the software unlock...
Hmm, so your point is that you think some people with AP2 hardware don't have the side markers with cameras because they didn't enable the software? I think you are stretching it a bit. The only examples of wrong side markers I've ever seen were cars without AP2 adding the AP2 side markers.

Actually you are incorrect because you insist on telling people their answer incorrect simply because you didn't read the question. The question was:

Not whether the car has AP1 or AP2 hardware. All 2016 cars have AP hardware. Some have AP1, some AP2, some AP2.5. Some have it enabled, some don't. Some are black, some are white, some are other colors - all irrelevant to the OP's question, which can be answered with a picture of the appropriate settings screen.

Hmm, so your point is that you think some people with AP2 hardware don't have the side markers with cameras because they didn't enable the software? I think you are stretching it a bit. The only examples of wrong side markers I've ever seen were cars without AP2 adding the AP2 side markers.

I agreed with you and quoted you - my response was: "I get what you're after and it has to be a picture of the display as others have said". Then I added to help the OP that it's easier IMO, which you're trying to tell me my opinion is wrong, to tell AP1 from AP2 by looking at the quarter-panels than at the mirrors like Tam suggested.

My inference in your response, by you highlighting "2016/2017", was that you were referring to AP2, and not all 2016/2017 facelift cars have AP2. So I am correct in my statement but wrong by inferring what you were talking about....

As for the last point once again I am still correct, you can't go by the appearance on the outside as people have changed badging, emblems, models numbers etc and the only way to tell is the software....and even then you may not be able to truly tell what you have physically because software can hide things ie 60 vs XX .

As for your response above please show me a 2016 that has AP 2.5.
Dzm

My inference in your response, by you highlighting "2016/2017", was that you were referring to AP2, and not all 2016/2017 facelift cars have AP2.
Why would you infer that I was talking about AP2 if you know that not all 2016/2017 have AP2?

Iwhich you're trying to tell me my opinion is wrong, to tell AP1 from AP2 by looking at the quarter-panels than at the mirrors like Tam suggested.
I was telling you that you are wrong then you replied that I was incorrect when stating "All 2016/2017 cars have AP hardware". They do.

As for your response above please show me a 2016 that has AP 2.5.
Throughout the entire thread we're talking 2016/2017, so did you mean to show you any 2016 or 2017 AP2.5 car? It would be 2017, but still applies when we're talking 2016/2017 cars.

Moderator note: Moved a couple dozen posts that wandered to a different topic, over to this new thread:

Bruce.