Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to display charge rate in kW rather than mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has the side effect of replacing the main rated miles display with percent state of charge. I find it easier to view range in rated miles and adjust for driving conditions but I prefer seeing instantaneous charge rate in kilowatts, at least at Superchargers. I know I can multiply the displayed volts times amps, but that's somewhat inconvenient.

That has the side effect of replacing the main rated miles display with percent state of charge. I find it easier to view range in rated miles and adjust for driving conditions but I prefer seeing instantaneous charge rate in kilowatts, at least at Superchargers. I know I can multiply the displayed volts times amps, but that's somewhat inconvenient.

The change in V6.1 to mean that if you want charging in kW that you also have to have battery in % rather than miles was a mistake IMO. I definitely prefer kW while charging and miles in my range display.

The change in V6.1 to mean that if you want charging in kW that you also have to have battery in % rather than miles was a mistake IMO. I definitely prefer kW while charging and miles in my range display.

It's not precise, but for easy mental math, assume 250 rated miles is 100% then all you have to do to convert percent to rated mile is multiply by 2.5 (double and add a half, etc).

I agree 100% with that. Annoys the living heck out of me that they changed that after getting used to it for 2 years. I like charging and power in kW, and Range on main screen to be in Rated Miles....... Not like their isn't enough room to display both.... Or the extra 20 seconds it would have taken to program a third option on the screen to allow the switch like we like it....

I had it set to "energy" before the software upgrade and continued to see charge rate in kw and capacity in rated miles, just like before. Stupidly, I changed it to "distance" and then back to "energy", now its % instead of miles. If you still see it split with kw charging and rated miles, DON'T TOUCH IT!

Last edited:
I agree 100% with that. Annoys the living heck out of me that they changed that after getting used to it for 2 years. I like charging and power in kW, and Range on main screen to be in Rated Miles....... Not like their isn't enough room to display both.... Or the extra 20 seconds it would have taken to program a third option on the screen to allow the switch like we like it....
Agree. We shouldn't have to do math while driving. The charging, range estimation and trip prediction should have that third option and/or secondary value displayed. And surely charging uom not linked to distance. Hopefully more owners will submit this as feedback/feature request (I already did last month). For trip prediction, since the Y axis is % already, why not have the start and end labels show as distance (or whatever uom option is set, i.e. kWh, rated/ideal/percentage.)

I suggest the best user experience is one that combines the energy-based units plus the accuracy of the energy graph / nav trip prediction so you have the best of both worlds.