Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to justify Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the towing software really necessary if you don't have parking sensors though? The towing mode offers the following:
  • Disable rear parking sensors
  • Increase cruise control following distance
  • Disable steering intervention
The last two can be done manually.

lol seriously? think of it this way. if you're buying a burrito at chipotle, would they add all the toppings you asked for then leave out one topping then wrap the burrito. only to have someone else unwrap the burrito and add the remaining topping? it is massively inefficient way to do things.

I think it depend on the market to have the Tow Hitch installed by default or not.

In Europe, for example, it is very common for people to use a small trailer to carry bulky stuff.

While in US, people often have a secondary car, like a pickup truck or a Van.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Is the towing software really necessary if you don't have parking sensors though? The towing mode offers the following:
  • Disable rear parking sensors
  • Increase cruise control following distance
  • Disable steering intervention
The last two can be done manually.
Nobody knows how the Tesla vision replacement for parking USS may react to close objects in the rear view camera (still not implemented). To avoid potential issues/ annoyances in the future, it would be best to have tow mode to disable rearward monitoring as required.

There are always other reason to use a trailer hitch.

1676315436785.png

1676315495636.png

1676315649408.png

If you need to tow, then you do. I trailered sports cars around to competitions (gasoline tow vehicle) for years. It's a pain to do because it makes parking hard (need giant space) and backing up is a pain to do (thoughh doable). My suggestion is: don't do it.

To the original poster. I do have a tow hitch. When I need it, I remove the back panel and attach the receiver and foldable utility trailer (after I've unfolded it). When I'm done, I remove the receiver, and put the cover back in place. Therefore, my MYLR looks like any other. Oh, and by the way, the box the tow hitch comes in is about 35 lbs. Because I took delivery of a MYLR that was already built, I had the tow hitch install later ($1300). Love it!

Well, I asked about adding the tow hitch now while I don't have my VIN# just an estimate March 3-31 date. The employee told me that adding the tow hitch could affect my delivery date thus the tax credit I'm going after. Like it's not worth risking losing out on the tax credit just to save $300 if I can just add it later. Because he said the tow hitch will only be $1000 & extra $300 to add later (as of now).

Risking saving $300 to lose out on $7500 sounds like a bad deal. Plus I have the luxury to add it later, or not have it. I wish there was a way to haul at least my bikes around. My dad said he may buy an electric pick up truck in two years. I don't really know how I'd use the tow hitch I just thought it be cool but I don't know if I will be committed to installing the tow hitch all the time.

I probably will prefer loading electric scooters in the car much easier than bikes. Or that Jetson E-bike from Costco that folds up.

Consider that if you spent the $1,000 for 5 shares of Tesla stock (currently), if the stock goes to $40,000 as quite a few are forecasting, you would have $200,000. That's quite an investment for something that could be handy, but will likely be unused?
Who would those people be? Even Cathie Wood isn't that bullish.

But let's do the math. TSLA at 40,000 would mean a market cap of 126.6T $USD. The market cap of the entire S&P 500 is about 35T.

So no, this isn't going to happen.

u can rent trailers from uhaul or home depot if you ever need to haul things that either don't fit or don't want to dirty the interior. there is no mileage charge and at $15/day for a 4x7, much cheaper than renting trucks.
hey- this is super useful pointer. I had weighed renting a truck from HD by the hour (plus mileage, I think) to do a haul off of garden debris but was able to borrow a nephew's vehicle. But at $15/day, perfectly cheap for the occasional awkward piece of furniture or exercise equipment.

Thanks to Leez as well for the pointers on use.

I got all the options I wanted but the Tow Hitch is the only thing I was considering. The only thing I thought about was to haul stuff but I don't really know how to tow stuff nor have any experience in it. My parents don't recommend getting jet skis or ATVs and they never have done that stuff. But it's very likely someone at my school had parents that did this stuff and know how to tow stuff. And if I got it, I would have no one to help me and I'd have to figure it out myself because my parents never towed stuff nor will they want to learn how.

The only thing I do is snowboarding which can easily fit in the trunk. Or just get a roof rack if I want that cool factor of snowboards on the roof so can have more trunk space and the cool look that this Tesla Model Y is going to snowboard. I would like to do bikes, which I hope I can just put on my roof. I thought using tow hitch would affect supercharging like could it be hard to supercharge if you must back in?

I have not received my vin yet, so I still have time to decide but probably not much time. I have not added a tow hitch. My update time is now March 3-31
I ordered my MYLR with the hitch after a lot of consideration and watching youtube videos of installing the hitch yourself (which requires rear bumper removal and several plastic panels including routing wiring to the frunk). I've installed hitches on 4-5 new cars I've bought before but none of them took more than 60-90 minutes and were "pre-wired" at the reat to where you just bought a pigtail type plug. We travel to/from AZ to ME and want to be able to have a small weatherproof box as well as perhaps towing a 5x8 utility trailer in ME on rare occasions for a few miles. So although $1000 seemed pretty steep (as do most of Tesla's options) it seemed worth it to me to have it done at the factory so the car knows it's there in the touchscreen.

I also considered a roof box but saw many who said they had cracked the top sunroof installing or removing the bars and/or box.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Suggest you watch the video on DIY install if you haven't already or call your nearest U-haul to see what they'd charge. I'm guessing, due to what's involved, it won't be far from Tesla's factory install price ($1000 when I ordered 1/27/23 but I see they're jacking prices on some of the options too).

There are always other reason to use a trailer hitch.

View attachment 906740

View attachment 906741
View attachment 906743

Great post!

IMO part of what makes an SUV.. an SUV.. is the factory-installed hitch. Other ingredients would be higher ground clearance, higher seating and optional AWD/4WD. Yeah I know I know.. you can put a hitch on anything. I've seen motorcycles with a hitch added to pull a trailer. That said there is nothing like the factory option as its generally the version that looks the best AND tows the most. And that's before mentioning that raggedy azz add-on hitch you got from U-haul or whatever tends to rust like crazy after a few years.

My Y is my 3rd SUV and all three came with a hitch. So far I've used the one on the Y to carry single & double bike racks.. and added a surprisingly cheap aluminum carrier tray which was priceless while hauling an eye-popping amount of stuff to the beach for a long weekend. Here is the aluminum hitch I picked up:

71QMpOI6mrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

looks like same one at harbor freight whch is bit cheaper

looks like previous post is a steel beam with aluminum frame while one at hf is all aluminum. but they both weigh 30lbs according to specs. hf one might be painted steel beam.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
looks like same one at harbor freight whch is bit cheaper

looks like previous post is a steel beam with aluminum frame while one at hf is all aluminum. but they both weigh 30lbs according to specs. hf one might be painted steel beam.

Yeah just watched the Youtube video on the HF unit and the guy says the beam was steel. My guess is all this stuff made in China in the exact same factory.. and sold under a few different names. Cant beat that $109 price and immediate B&M store pickup though.

As a folding carrier platform, see some links below from a previous search:

Ecotric 60" Folding Hauling Hitch Cargo Mount Carrier
Mounted Basket Long Luggage Rack with 2 inch Receiver Preserve Space
$187.00
Overall dimensions: 60" X 24 1/2" X 14 1/8"(L*W*H)
Weight Capacity: 360 lbs

Another model with Waterproof Cargo Bag and Packing Straps
$199.99 (was $229.99)

This model provides various options:
$149.96 ARKSEN 60 x 25 Inch Folding Cargo Rack Carrier
$229.96 - with Cargo Bag & Net, Stabilizer & 2 Straps

TeslaBuzz stevens made a video about it:
Note: At the 6:00 time, Steve was using a Supercharger,
but I cannot see if the carrier was open or folded.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056