Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to justify Tow Hitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the tow hitch and always get with SUV and 4x4 vehicles
tow hitch equals ability for future options
options like everyone has said
the MY is very capable and why not increase its ability with options via rhe tow hitch, def do

btw, rhe drag impact of the roof rack is far greater than most things hooked to the hitch except a flat front trailer
roof
1701663701463.png

better via the hitch
1701663785793.png

Look at how much more I can carry on a trip, or just going over to Grandma's house for christmas!!
Get the hitch
You won't regret it!!
Is that a receiver extension you're using? That carrier stick out way too far and is putting undue stress on your Tesla's hitch.

Tesla rates the hitch at 160lbs for a typical carrier. You're reducing that rating a lot by sticking it out further than necessary.

Reactions: damndanyo
Is that a receiver extension you're using? That carrier stick out way too far and is putting undue stress on your Tesla's hitch.

Tesla rates the hitch at 160lbs for a typical carrier. You're reducing that rating a lot by sticking it out further than necessary.
TRDFRG, I really wish people would respond to posts like you did. I was just trying to share some info, and truly did not want your opinion. I am leaving this forum this community for good. But before I go........ 1. the carrier is aluminum and weights 30lbs, 2. the extension is so I can fold it up when not needing it during my trip, and still be able to open the back hatch 3. Unless I put bricks in the carrier, I won't worry about hitting the 160 Lbs limit.

Reactions: kpanda17
TRDFRG, I really wish people would respond to posts like you did. I was just trying to share some info, and truly did not want your opinion. I am leaving this forum this community for good. But before I go........ 1. the carrier is aluminum and weights 30lbs, 2. the extension is so I can fold it up when not needing it during my trip, and still be able to open the back hatch 3. Unless I put bricks in the carrier, I won't worry about hitting the 160 Lbs limit.
You're posting on an online forum that allows replies. Whether you want someone's opinion or not is irrelevant. Seems like it didn't take much for you to leave. 😁

@TRDFRG made an excellent point because you don't need 160lbs to hit the tongue weight if you are using an extension. A lot less than 160lbs will cause undue stress on the hitch if you extend the weight further from the vehicle.

In fairness he/she/it was just giving a helpful bit of advice. Sure it might be something you already know, but I think your reaction was a little OTT

I smell overreaction (just my unsolicited opinion on the internet :p)

1. the carrier is aluminum and weights 30lbs, 2. the extension is so I can fold it up when not needing it during my trip, and still be able to open the back hatch 3. Unless I put bricks in the carrier, I won't worry about hitting the 160 Lbs limit.
that extension at least doubled the length which also means force exerted on the hitch is now doubled. this effectively reduces the hitch load capacity to 80lb or in your case only 50lb cargo.

Just now seeing all the responses. If you don't want anyone to comment on what you are sharing, why are you posting in a forum? I wasn't being rude by any means. I was just pointing out that you don't have 160lbs of capacity anymore once you stick it out further. Welcome to reality.

Reactions: vlee and KevinT3141