Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Leave HVAC on when Driver Leaves Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to happen every time. If a passenger(s) wants to stay in the car while the driver runs inside for a few minutes the HVAC turns off. I have tried leaving the FOB in the car but that does not work. Is there a way to make it stay on? Seems like if the driver's butt is not in the seat it just turns off seconds after the driver exits the vehicle.

Thanks, I will get that a try. Not sure what that process is but I can figure it out.

Not too hard. Hit up twice ( 1 for reverse 2 for neutral) then go into the settings and you should see the icon for emergency brake. This will leave the car AC on as long as you have it this way (or heat if your doing it in the winter. Other option is going into your tesla app after you leave the car and start the climate control. But I think this method shuts it off after a while.

Other option is going into your tesla app after you leave the car and start the climate control.
That is a way that I have tried a couple of times but that shut off too...eventually. Today I figured that I would just go into the app and turn it back on. However, this is one of those many times that the app could not find the car for 5 minutes and then I was aback to the car already. You can never count on the app finding quickly on a consistent basis..even when you have "Always Connected" selected.

I Like the Neutral/Parking Brake approach. I will give that a go later today. Thanks

That is a way that I have tried a couple of times but that shut off too...eventually. Today I figured that I would just go into the app and turn it back on. However, this is one of those many times that the app could not find the car for 5 minutes and then I was aback to the car already. You can never count on the app finding quickly on a consistent basis..even when you have "Always Connected" selected.

I Like the Neutral/Parking Brake approach. I will give that a go later today. Thanks

Not sure what phone you have, but at least for Android, if the app can't connect within 10-15 seconds I just kill the app and relaunch. Nearly every time, the app will find the car within a few seconds after I do that.

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
All of these methods (1 click, screen tap, etc.) only work for 30 minutes at a time. After that the car will shut off the AC. So if you're leaving your dog in the car for a full day, this wont work. If it's an adult who can tap the screen again, then you're fine.

• Informative
All of these methods (1 click, screen tap, etc.) only work for 30 minutes at a time. After that the car will shut off the AC. So if you're leaving your dog in the car for a full day, this wont work. If it's an adult who can tap the screen again, then you're fine.
LOL... most of the time it's just my wife while I run in the store for 5 minutes or perhaps back into the house to grab something we forgot. :)

This seems to happen every time. If a passenger(s) wants to stay in the car while the driver runs inside for a few minutes the HVAC turns off. I have tried leaving the FOB in the car but that does not work. Is there a way to make it stay on? Seems like if the driver's butt is not in the seat it just turns off seconds after the driver exits the vehicle.

As soon as the driver closes the door, have the passenger tap the center screen. HVAC will stay on for 30 minutes or until another door is opened.

• Informative
Thanks all, for the information regarding climate control. I have a similar question regarding the radio - haven't yet figured out how to enjoy music playing at selected volume while outside but near car.

The one-click door trick works but I want my wife and baby to be locked in the car while I go into the store. I don't want somebody to jump in the driver's seat and take off. If I leave the FOB w/my wife and she locks the doors with it after I'm gone, will that work? What if I close the door one click and keep the FOB with me and walk away. Will the doors automatically lock as usual, but the HVAC and radio still continue operating? (I realize that if my wife opened a door at that point the alarm wound sound.)

This seems like a common use case and I'm surprised there isn't an easy, obvious solution.