TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to open the MC120 connector

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by DaveD, May 23, 2009.

1. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

#1 DaveD, May 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
    Moderator's Note: This thread was started by scott451 below, but I moved in a few posts that seemed to be along the same lines.
    -----------------

You tell me where I can get just the twist-lock connector that mates to the Roadster for $50, and I'd be happy to buy a bunch of them.

2. donauker

donauker Member

That would be great but I have my doubts. Even Martin Eberhard does not have a source for them and has stated that the only way to get one is to buy one of Tesla's charge adapters.

3. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

The connector piece on the end of the HPC, 240 MC and 120 MC is proprietary to Tesla. The company that makes them will not sell them to anyone else.

4. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

Can anyone tell me how to open the connector end of the MC120? (not the GFI end). I don't want to damage it, so I'm reluctant to force it open.

Thanks,

-Scott

5. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

6. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

Martin Eberhard says he accidentally broke one trying to figure it out.
    So be careful.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Lets say, hypothetically, you wanted to get an MC120 and turn it into an MC240... Along with the pilot signal electronics in a new box, you would also need to put heavier gauge wire on the Tesla end. That would involve opening up the Tesla connector and boring it out and putting in larger wires.

I asked someone who basically did this, and got this response:
    [/FONT]

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#8 doug, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
    Since the idea here appears to be to build one's own charging cables, I wonder if there is another way besides repurposing the Tesla connector from the MC120.

The early EPs used the same connector as the ACP eBox. Even though they've updated it a bit, the pins appear the same. Is it possible to get ahold of the mate to this eBox connector?

[​IMG]
    ACP eBox charge connector

[​IMG]
    Roadster EP2

[​IMG]
    Current connector style.

Also, before this current plug, we used to see something less elegant, but it got the job done. These days some show up in photos from Europe, where they likely still have to use some hand-built charging cables.

[​IMG]

Is there a source for that more kludgy connector?

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#9 TEG, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    By the way, people sometimes say "post below" or "post above" and it is almost always backwards for me. One of the forum options is to view in reverse order (newest post at the top) which is the way I have always had my preferences set.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

That's a great idea trying to find the old klugy Tesla plug. I have heard from those who have used both that the old one is actually better (but got no specifics).

If the socket has always stayed the same then 3rd party cables could be made since no one but Tesla can purchase the new plug.

I wonder if Martin looked into that?

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think it is safe to assume that he has considered all the options by now.

12. marco2228

marco2228 Roadster Signature #34

13. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

I disassembled our spare mobile connector in about an hour and reassembled with an extra wire for the pilot. This will enable me to make it into a 240V 16 amp connector. I plan to use a spare Open EVSE board to generate the pilot. The only special tool I needed was a security screwdriver bit.

14. Juanmax

Juanmax Member

bbf15bf6a66013561c5e0db0c7f2b85e.jpg

hello community,

I just opened the Roadster connector (from a SMC) because I want to make my own 32A typ2 to Roadster cable.

As it can be seen, the slider in the connector shorts the pilot pin to ground.

AFAIK, I have to wire the pilot signal directly to the mennekes plug. however the question that arises is, what is then the function of the sliding contactor at the Roadster connector side? nothing?

Same question from another perspective, what is the function (electrical) of this sliding contactor in a UMC?

cheers!

Juanmax

15. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

In the UMC the slider opens the pilot circuit. No pilot signal, no charge. To convert an MC120 to level 2 you must add a circuit to provide a pilot signal and route this through the connector's slider. You will need four wires, not three. Two hots, pilot and ground. You will also need to increase the size of the conductors in the cord to be able to handle 32 amps (#8AWG)

16. Juanmax

Juanmax Member

thanks PV-EV!

just now I though that this must be the function of the slider, actually makes sense and I should have come to that by myself.

what I am doing is merging a 32A three phase typ2 cable with a SMC. The son of both will be a 32A Typ2 ( most European public chargers) in one side, and the Roadster connector in the other.

I do not need to generate the pilot signal since it is generated at the charger side. I just have to route it through the slider to the pilot pin. the cable is an original mennekes 5x6mm2(N,L,P1,P2,P3) + 1x0.5mm2(Pilot)

cheers

17. slcasner

slcasner Member

The problem is that to make a safe conversion you should get new pins for the Roadster connector that can crimp directly onto the the heavier gauge wire in the Mennekes cable. That is what Martin Eberhard did when he made used the connector from a 120V cable to make the Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger. PM me your email address and I will send to you Martin's document describing the disassembly and re-use procedure for the Roadster Connector.

18. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

He actually published such a document?! I know a few people who have drilled out the existing crimps and re-crimped a heavier wire in each pin. I'm not sure which is easier, rebuilding the 120v connector to use with heavier wire or just building a whole new Roadster connector from scratch. I've done both and still have some of the connectors I made.

19. slcasner

slcasner Member

I'm not sure how widely it was distributed. It was part of the documentation of his Roadster Foundry Mobile Charger project.

20. Juanmax

Juanmax Member

after two hours searching on the Web, we will see if I get the pins... for sure not from a European distributor. This amphenol pins are difficult if not impossible to find. @hcsharp do you still have some new ones?

cheers