TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to remove bed / trunk liner in Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by phasedweasel, May 15, 2019.

1. phasedweasel

phasedweasel Member

I usually put my groceries in the sub-trunk in the back of my Model 3, because it does a great job of keeping them from rattling around. However, I recently put a gallon of milk back there that leaked. The leak was quite extensive, probably a cup or more of liquid. My god! It's awful! I soaked out as much as I could, and used a Bissel Spot Cleaner wet vac to shampoo and removes as much liquid as possible, but the residual smell is very persistent.

Does anyone know if I can safely remove the bed liner at home? I'd like to clean it more thoroughly, and also determine if any milk soaked through, so I can clean residue under the liner. I got a quote from a Service Center to replace the liner for $275, which isn't terrible, but I want to take another crack at cleaning this first. Thanks!!

2. zannman

zannman Member

Assuming it's cleaned well, a cleaning chemical like OdorXit or an ozone generator will quickly resolve the smell.

3. phasedweasel

phasedweasel Member

That's the point - enough spilled that I think some soaked through to underneath. I'd like to remove the liner and clean up any residual milk under there. Is this something I can do safely at home?

4. wagonwheel

wagonwheel Member

I'm sure there are other videos out there showing how to remove the trunk liner, but this is one that I'm aware of. It should give you a good idea as to how easy/hard it may be for you to do yourself.

5. phasedweasel

phasedweasel Member

Thanks! That's very helpful!

I found the foam pad under the liner was still damp, and likely a big part of the problem. I threw away the pad and will replace it.

6. jrh007

jrh007 Member

Thank you for reminding me why I bought an all weather trunk liner.

7. sreams

sreams Member

Does the all weather trunk liner extend down into the sub-trunk (under the removable panel)?

8. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

it does not. Companies like Tuxmat make a sub trunk liner though.

9. phasedweasel

phasedweasel Member

Can you link it? I'd really like to find a sub-trunk liner / bucket, because it's incredibly useful for keeping groceries from sliding around. I was unable to find it with some searching.

10. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Here's the product page. Tesla Model 3 (Pre-Order)

Looks like they only sell the sub trunk mat bundled with the front trunk mat. I believe the prices are in CAD so it should be cheaper for you if buying from the USA due to the currency exchange.

Here's what it looks like. I just snapped a screenshot from a Youtube review video.
    upload_2019-5-16_9-3-46.png

• Informative x 1
  11. phasedweasel

phasedweasel Member

Oh cool! I didn't see that in the product images, so I missed the trunk package options. Thanks!

12. jeniferkey

jeniferkey Member

I bought one of those flexible carrying tubs at the dollar store and keep that in the lower trunk. I keep my cleaning supplies in it and use it for milk jugs or anything else liquid that I worry would spill. It has higher sides and helps hold things upright if I pack my cleaning rags around stuff.