Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Squeeze the Most Miles out of a Nearly Dead Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my X on 0 for about 5 miles to reach a super charger.
Like others have said, stay at <=35, light acceleration and max regen, should be good.
And yet another person adding to the myth. STOP!

Just because your car's calculation of range was off DOES NOT MEAN EVERYONE'S IS. THERE IS NO BUILT IN DRIVING RESERVE. Zero should be treated as zero. If you are at 5 rated miles remaining and can drive 25mph without interruption then you can stretch it to 10 miles (or even more - I have), but once you hit zero you CANNOT ASSUME THAT THE CALCULATION IS INCORRECT.

Read the posts above.

Reactions: Max*
STOP POSTING CRAP LIKE THIS!!!

Easy here. It is not crap. I have had my car for 2.5 years and have driven passed zero several times and my car never shut down. I do not recommend it, there is no guarantee whatsoever, but mine and many other people's experience is that the car will likely not shut down right at zero. Many thing factor in. Gentle driving and road conditions make a big difference. Just recently I drove 12 miles passed zero (favorable road conditions, though).

Last edited:
Easy here. It is not crap. I have had my car for 2.5 years and have driven passed zero several times and my car never shut down. I do not recommend it, there is no guarantee whatsoever, but mine and many other people's experience is that the car will likely not *sugar* down right at zero. Many thing factor in. Gentle driving and road conditions make a big difference. Just recently I drove 12 miles passed zero (favorable road conditions, though).
It is crap. And if you are driving 12 miles past rated range after hitting zero, then there is something wrong with your car because the calcs are way off. By posting crap like this you encourage others to do the same based on a false assumption and I will continue to shout it every time someone says it so others do not assume it is correct - THERE IS NO DRIVING RESERVE PAST ZERO RATED RANGE.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
It is crap. And if you are driving 12 miles past rated range after hitting zero, then there is something wrong with your car because the calcs are way off. By posting crap like this you encourage others to do the same based on a false assumption and I will continue to shout it every time someone says it so others do not assume it is correct - THERE IS NO DRIVING RESERVE PAST ZERO RATED RANGE.

I think everyone gets it. Just because it's a bad idea or you can prove it's a bad idea doesn't mean someone wont try it. As you have seen here... You are in the range of the more you say NO the more they are going to say YES, I will and can...

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Rated range is an estimate...period. If it says 10 miles think of it as 10 miles +/- x miles. X depends on ambient temperature, wind, terrain, and driving speed. Could be +/- 1 mile. Could be +/- 10 miles. No way to really know.

Same with zero miles. Could have a few more. Could have a few less (meaning it shuts down before zero). No way to know the exact number.

you know that filled up tires, stay filled up for weeks or months? so filling them up is never a energy waste. why is stopping a an energy waste at all? motor is not running while standing still :)
the only time when low pressure helps (for safety), is in my humble opinion, in sloppy weather conditions like snow or wet leaves.

With 25 miles of range left, getting off the highway to fill up your tires and then get back on the highway will expend more energy than if you just stayed on the highway.

And yet another person adding to the myth. STOP!

Just because your car's calculation of range was off DOES NOT MEAN EVERYONE'S IS. THERE IS NO BUILT IN DRIVING RESERVE. Zero should be treated as zero. If you are at 5 rated miles remaining and can drive 25mph without interruption then you can stretch it to 10 miles (or even more - I have), but once you hit zero you CANNOT ASSUME THAT THE CALCULATION IS INCORRECT.

Read the posts above.
Uhm, I never said there was a reserve... no need to yell or get your panties in a wad!

Just stating an observation...
I hit 0 and for the next ~5 miles it stayed at 0. I was on Rated Range. Got to the SC and charged. I'm going to see what TeslaLog has for that day.

Last edited:
@thefortunes now will you change your story?
This is rated range at 0 while driving for another ~10 minutes...
upload_2016-10-14_10-35-17.png

English is not my native tongue, but where do you see me referring to a reserve?

Range number is derived from a formula, if you change the input parameters (i.e. your driving style) you can change the range number.

PSA: there is no reserve, but if you drive like a grandma you can get a few more miles out of rated range... as an example (demonstrated with graphs and all): I got about 5 more miles using said method!

smh

Oh, one more thing...
This is not unique to Tesla... with over 40k ev miles now behind me, every ev I've driven reacts the same way. Slow down, drive gently (grandma like) and you get a few more miles out of the battery.

Last edited:
English is not my native tongue, but where do you see me referring to a reserve?

Range number is derived from a formula, if you change the input parameters (i.e. your driving style) you can change the range number.

PSA: there is no reserve, but if you drive like a grandma you can get a few more miles out of rated range... as an example (demonstrated with graphs and all): I got about 5 more miles using said method!

smh

Oh, one more thing...
This is not unique to Tesla... with over 40k ev miles now behind me, every ev I've driven reacts the same way. Slow down, drive gently (grandma like) and you get a few more miles out of the battery.
And with well over 100k EV miles I will continue to shout for all to hear - THERE IS NO RESERVE PAST ZERO RATED MILES ON THE MODEL S. IF YOU ARE LUCKY TO DRIVE PAST ZERO, YOU ARE JUST THAT, LUCKY (OR YOUR CARS CALCULATED RATED RANGE IS OFF).

Changing your style of driving (i.e. hypermiling) will certainly get you more range, but not once you run out of electrons (which is what zero means). DO NOT PLAN TO DRIVE PAST ZERO RATED RANGE.

My car is in a parking lot with 25 miles of range and no charger. Nearest supercharger is 38 miles away. Is it possible to drive in such a way as to squeeze 38 miles out of a battery with 25 indicated?

Recently, after a long drive, I parked all day at a business stop. At the end of the day I had 45 miles of range left and 39 miles to the nearest supercharger. But the 6 mile cushion did not phase me at all, despite that when I started I got a warning to drive no more than 55mph to reach the supercharger. The drive was on interstates with a 70mph limit. 55mph would have been dangerous with everyone else going 70 more. So what did I do? I pulled in behind the first large semi going 70 and drafted him most of the way. I stayed a safe distance behind but the drafting effect was still quite good. I reached the supercharge with 9 miles of range left. No sweat.

Reactions: GSP
Changing your style of driving (i.e. hypermiling) will certainly get you more range, but not once you run out of electrons (which is what zero means). DO NOT PLAN TO DRIVE PAST ZERO RATED RANGE.

I think we all agree that one should never plan or count on being able to drive passed 0 (zero). No one is advocating that or suggesting that and no one is suggesting that there is a magical reserve. So please don't accuse others of doing so. No one does that.

All that people, including me, do is present real world experience of being able to go beyond 0 miles. We all know that the battery is no completely discharged when the car shows 0%. Evidence (looking at data from the CAN bus) shows that there is about 4% left when the car shows zero. Now again, no one suggests that is available. It's a safety buffer that Tesla set to make sure the battery stays healthy and can't be run down to zero which would damage it. But there are conditions in which the car allows you to drive passed zero. Many have seen their cars do it. Again, no one suggests to count on it, but in more case than not have people been able to drive a few miles more. That's all.

No one does that.

But they do ... it depends how you interpret what folk say, and I find @thefortunes tone very harsh, but it has at least caused me NOT to be taken in by other people's comments that they have driven past zero.

Gentle driving and road conditions make a big difference. Just recently I drove 12 miles passed zero (favorable road conditions, though).

I read that as a recommendation that if i am running low, if I adopt "gentle driving" I WILL be able to get past zero. I similarly read other comments here as, collectively, suggesting that it is possible, even "likely", to be able to get past zero. Having @thefortunes voice of reason here has reinforced the fact that it is pure chance and down to how the prediction of energy remaining happens to have calculated

On balance I agree with @thefortunes that it would be better that there were no stories of "I got past zero" that might cause someone to think "I'll chance it"

Of course if I could have a spare gallon of electrons in the trunk would solve the problem :)

Reactions: thefortunes
Guys, I'm new and researching.

Is there not an App or something that shows all charging locations, SpCs, and even user found outlets? Some way to locate the nearest source of electricity and plug-ins?

I think it would be cool to have a user based GPS list of known charge locations that you could use in a pinch.

Guys, I'm new and researching.

Is there not an App or something that shows all charging locations, SpCs, and even user found outlets? Some way to locate the nearest source of electricity and plug-ins?

I think it would be cool to have a user based GPS list of known charge locations that you could use in a pinch.

All Tesla Superchargers and Destination chargers are widely known at tesla.com. They are also nicely integrated in to the navigation system in the car. For non-Tesla chargers, get the free plugshare app for your smartphone.

Some way to locate the nearest source of electricity and plug-ins?

PlugShare

includes superchargers, but also all sorts of other charging outlets - including people's homes who would be happy to accommodate you in an emergency.

But for Tesla Superchargers, that's built right into the SatNav, so if I set a destination that is too far it would automatically route you via a SuperCharger.