Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to take off the Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be one of the weirdos who actually likes the look of the wheel cover. And I gain a few miles of range as a bonus.
If you are a weirdo for that reason, then there are two of us!
I really doubt anyone would put wheel covers on any $35k+ car.
I am that weirdo who will customize the aero covers and probably leave them on all the time. It's not simply a $35K+ car, it's a car of the future with goofy front fascia, minimalist interior with no binnacle, and range extending wheel covers.
;)

• Funny
Reactions: gambit48
Never in the history of automobiles, has a more thorough analysis been done on hubcaps. :D

The $1500 upgrade for 19" silver turbine style wheels is entirely to blame for this, haha.

Buyers at the Model 3 price point are generally much more price sensitive than Model S/X buyers.

Personally I like the gray spokes without the cover. The spokes are badass. The downside to the gray wheels is that they only have good contrast with very light or very dark painted cars. I think the gray rim goes well with red, white, and black. Doesn't stand out with blue and midnight silver.

I don't think it looks any better with the covers off. In fact, I think it looks worse. Well maybe not, but either way no good. Trouble is I may end up with them, but upgrading tires and wheel later won't be cheap. But still easier than painting a car another color.

As someone who has a 2012 Toyota Prius sporting the sweet black wheels because somebody stole my hub caps earlier this year, this is definitely a concern for me. I'm probably going to take the same approach and leave them off except for long trips.

All the trim rings on my 2005 (15" wheels) have cracked (plastic doesn't age well). When they won't stay on the car any longer I just toss them in the trash. But if I had new ones or could get them cheaply I'd put some back on. I think I have 2 on and 2 off at this point but I'm not sure without going to the garage to check.

The old Prius rings were outer edge mostly so they were thinner less sturdy. It looks like the Model 3 covers will hold up better due to the complete coverage and more secure mounting.

100Million? Even if you are talking wheels/covers rather than sets, that means Tesla needs to sell 25Million cars with Aero rims since covers for the Aero rims will only fit the Aero rims. Even at 500,000 cars per year that is 50 years production.. And if only half of them buy Aero rims it's 100years production. And realistically there will be a facelift in <5 years anyway.

I think your reality check bounced.. :)
Yeah, I missed the units. It should be 100K or 200K

I don't think it looks any better with the covers off. In fact, I think it looks worse. Well maybe not, but either way no good. Trouble is I may end up with them, but upgrading tires and wheel later won't be cheap. But still easier than painting a car another color.

Price out aftermarket rims (or wheels if you're being picky) that are roughly the same size. If you just move the tires over so you don't have to buy new ones, there are many options that are quite a bit cheaper than going to the 19" upgrade.

Reactions: jsmay311
When you contract emphysema because of breathing polluted air, "efficiency" will become very important to you! ;)

Such hysteria....fatality rates from COPD are trending down from this somewhat recent study published in 2013 by the American Lung Association. In my 60's, my VO2 is just fine, thanks, and won't improve or deteriorate less with a set of ugly wheel covers.
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 11.45.24 PM.png

Reactions: jas and FlyingKiwi
Such hysteria....fatality rates from COPD are trending down from this somewhat recent study published in 2013 by the American Lung Association. In my 60's, my VO2 is just fine, thanks,
You are correct about COPD which is related to smoking tobacco. Lung disease related to smoking has gone down because fewer people smoke today. You are incorrect in trying to equate COPD to Emphysema. Yes they are related but different. Emphysema is loss of "elastic recoil of the lung" caused by inhaling toxic fumes like polluted air. Yes, you may be driving an electric car, but how is that electricity produced for that car? In most cases that electricity is produced by hydrocarbon fuels. Increasing the range in your electric car reduces your reliance on those types of electric producing fuels. Your other option is to install solar panels on your personal residence and then you can "burn" electricity in abandon. But ultimately, it is your decision, choose wisely with the thought of your children and future generations in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Rich966