Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to tell if new car has HW4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand corrected! I thought they started mid feb.

Can you post screenshots of the about screen and details page? Do they both show phoenix radar?

Can you also post picture of the camera view? Do they seem to be RGB cameras?
No, there is no mention of the radar on the details page. What I saw in the car and this album is the same

Camera footages, i guess they are RGB?
front: 2896x1876 35.30fps
back: 1448x938 36.01fps
left/right: 1448x938 35.30fps

Reactions: TexasTes
I can't believe no one has taken off a front or rear bumper yet to see. Whisperings of Phoenix radar not being one unit, but one in front and one in back are fascinating but I'm not going to put my believers on until we get pics on Reddit or Twitter lol

So is it safe to say there’s not an easy way from the console to tell if you have hw 3 vs hw 4?
If your cameras have red in the lens, you have HW4.
new-cameras-model-sx.jpg

At some point someone will post their vin number with hw4 at that point you'll be able to see based on if the delivery vin is greater than it.
VINs get assigned before the manufacturing line, so there is a range of VINs at which a feature can't be had, a range at which it is always had, and a gray area where you aren't sure which feature you're getting.

Reactions: henderrj
It’s also questionable what benefit HW4 will have with these rollouts since the additional cameras will come at a later date and if they could even be retrofitted. Likewise will these early HW4 cars even have updated cameras at shipment over HW3 cars.

Speculation is parts will be rolled out in stages, perhaps over a year or more.

If you’ve trying to use this a basis to wait or buy I personally wouldn’t bother. If you must have all the extra cameras, updated camera sensors and HW4 computer it’s going to be a while to wait. Otherwise just buy in if you need the car. This will not be sorted and rolled out, especially completely in the coming months.
Since this post there was a software update to improve the vision parking sensors that is only compatible with hw4. For those that took delivery after uss removal and before hw4 are screwed. As I understand vision parking in its first iteration was terrible and not functional at all.