Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

How to use jack stands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm ever working on a car, like doing a brake job or whatever, I jack the car up with a floor jack, and then put it on jackstands so it is safe. With the M3, there are just 4 specific jack points. So if I use a jackpoint to raise up one corner of the car, how can I then transfer that point to a jackstand? Is there some part of the suspension I could use to put a jack stand under when I remove the floor jack to raise the other side?

If I'm ever working on a car, like doing a brake job or whatever, I jack the car up with a floor jack, and then put it on jackstands so it is safe. With the M3, there are just 4 specific jack points. So if I use a jackpoint to raise up one corner of the car, how can I then transfer that point to a jackstand? Is there some part of the suspension I could use to put a jack stand under when I remove the floor jack to raise the other side?

Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't seems to design their cars for this. (This is true of the X and S, as well.)

Here's one solution:

Jackpoint Jackstands

Or get a lift:

QuickJack For Residential Use - Home Car Lift

The structure isn't infinitely rigid. Lifting at a single point runs the risk of twisting the body which might break the rear window. On this thread, post 67, on the Model 3 Owners Club Forum, a member speaks of a service center without a lift that does service using four jacks simultaneously manned because of this risk.

What do you plan to do to the Tesla? Because of regen Tesla brakes typically last 100k+ miles. Unless you plan to keep the car past that you shouldn’t ever have to do anything to the car beyond refilling the wiper fluid and rotating/replacing the tires.

A lift or special jacks seem like a waste of money.

Yes. Read the previous posts.
1bks4v.jpg

Found this image, which suggests it's ok to put jack stands anywhere along the side rail - if I understand what they mean by "safe stabilization points". Not clear why it's ok to support there if not ok to lift there ... (I have a Model Y, but found a similar image for the Model Y)

OTOH, it's from a Tesla "emergency response" document, so maybe they mean a vehicle that's literally lying on its side.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 6.47.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 6.47.29 PM.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Here's a tip might be helpful here ... I had a slow leak (thankfully ended up not being a hairline crack in the rim). I jacked the corner up using a platform jack and a puck. But then I realized my jack has a slow hydraulic leak and the car would settle to the ground (resting on the brake disc) by the time I got the repaired tire back the next day. No approved spot to put a jackstand under there. So I just jammed a block of wood into the mechanism of the platform jack, and that prevented it from settling far !

What do you plan to do to the Tesla? Because of regen Tesla brakes typically last 100k+ miles. Unless you plan to keep the car past that you shouldn’t ever have to do anything to the car beyond refilling the wiper fluid and rotating/replacing the tires.

A lift or special jacks seem like a waste of money.
Maybe you live somewhere that never gets below 40° and don't ever plan on taking your M3P to any of those places, but many of us have a real winter and put winter tires on the car so twice a year I have it jacked up to swap wheels/tires. This is also when I rotate the tires. I assume you pay someone to do that for you?