TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How was increased regenerative braking achieved with 8.0?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by cmorgan, Sep 26, 2016.

1. cmorgan

cmorgan Member

Noticed that the 8.0 release notes mentioned a slight increase in regenerative braking. I haven't seen any details about how that was achieved, does anyone know more about this improvement?

2. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Well, 7.0 lessened the regen braking, perhaps they just undid that?

Has anybody noticed if AP on 8.0 is better at using regen rather than braking?

3. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

It is slightly more aggressive but hard to measure other than I was stopping just a bit short today vs prior at familiar stop signs. Nothing to be alarmed about from my perspective.

• Like x 1
  4. ICETOO

ICETOO Member

I understand the increased regen on V8.0 was applied only to "D" models and not those with RWD?

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

I don't know how they did it but I like it!

• Like x 5
  6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Point of clarification: Are you saying you have 8.x on your RWD and can feel the difference?

7. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

I do on my AWD and can feel the difference. I was wondering the same as OP. Iirc, regen gave back about .80; so what does "improved regen" give back? .81 or .85 or more? I'd like a little more data, if possible, from the mothership

8. tezzla

tezzla Member

I think it's pretty obvious!

[​IMG]

• Funny x 9
  9. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

#9 Lyon, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    I have 8 on my brand new P100D and I got a chance to experience pre 8 regeneration for a few days before getting 8. The regen with 8 is much more like my 2012 RWD was before they turned it down in 7.

Also, I've changed my signature so my posts cause less confusion in the future.

• Like x 1
  10. green1

green1 Active Member

Well, I drove an up to date 7.1 car the other day, and compared to my 7.0 car it had DRAMATICALLY less regen,

People complain all the time about releases reducing regen, and people always say it's all in their head, I suspect that's because each change is so little that it's hard to see enough difference to quantify it, so people assume it's not real. But when you skip a whole bunch of versions in between and add all those minor reductions together you really see the difference.

My guess is that they simply rolled back their reductions a bit.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. No2DinosaurFuel

#11 No2DinosaurFuel, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Maybe it's just me, but I didn't notice much difference between 7 and 8. They should really increase the max regen during high speed. I use to drive a Spark EV and releasing the accelerator can really slow me down enough on the highway so I can drive using 1 pedal. The Model S, I find myself pressing the brake often.

• Like x 1
  12. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

I've notice a small difference driving around town under 40MPH to 0. On the highway, if I let off the accelerator quickly, the regen is much more aggressive compared with 7.1. I'm a fan!

13. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

correct

14. jlutzwpi

jlutzwpi Member

Any ideas why they didn't improve regen in the RWD models? I have a 2016 RWD S60 and didn't see anything about regen in the release notes in the car.

15. Jurnimon

Jurnimon Member

My hypothesis is that both motors are playing more a part in the regen to recoup more energy.

I also wonder if they are too aggressive with regen in the RWD that there could be a traction loss situation.

16. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

In my few days driving with 8.0, I notice a difference in my RWD 70 between it and 7.1 when coming to a stop in city driving. I remember 7.1 would slow me down to about 5-6 mph then continue at that speed (requiring me to always hit the brake pedal), but it seems like 8.0 slows me down a tiny bit faster then, instead of keeping at 5-6 mph, it more slowly takes me to 1 mph. Not sure if others are seeing this, too.

17. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I noticed it immediately. But I am also curious, how did they do it with software update alone?

18. David99

David99 Active Member

How much regen is applied is just a software setting. It is not limited by the hardware. Various software updates changed the regen amount and how it's applied at what speed, level of charge, battery temperature or how it fades in and out. It's all software.

I have a RWD and never had the car slip or become unstable when regen in any weather condition except once when I was driving in pure black ice and cars were sliding in the ditch left and right. The conditions were so slippery that driving at all was too dangerous.

• Informative x 1
  19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It suggests that it was just tuning of what the car decides to apply/allow. Put another way, it means they were applying a "software limiter" / "governor" to it before and are doing less so now.

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Don't mix { cruise control, stability / traction control, standing water }. On my RWD P85, the experience (I-90 east towards Ellensburg) is ... unsettling.