Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was your model 3 quality when you took delivery?

Quality poll

• Mine must have been inspected by Elon himself.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a veteran QC tech.

Votes: 91 48.4%
  • Mine appeared to have been inspected by a drunk QC tech

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • The QC inspector of my car probably got fired

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • The QC inspector must have been absent when my car was finished

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • What QC inspection?

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • The QC inspector must be the spouse of the person I had an affair with

Votes: 12 6.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your picture proves my point.....that Enclave in the background has less than half the panel gap than the 3 --- good thing Tesla doesn't build submarines

This Tesla "panel gap issue" is a bit absurd to me. Yesterday I was stuck in traffic heading to Brooklyn, NY with this thread in my mind so I looked closely at panel gaps on numerous BMW's, Audi's, Chevy's, Hyundai's, Honda's, Toyota's and ALL of them had "panel gap issues." Take a look for yourself. Next time you walk through a parking lot look at every car you see with the same eye for detail that we all lavish on our Teslas...this is an industry-wide issue (or non-issue, as what the heck does it even matter?).

Your picture proves my point.....that Enclave in the background has less than half the panel gap than the 3 --- good thing Tesla doesn't build submarines

You can always choose to buy an Enclave or a BMW and drive them rather than a Tesla. Stop trying to convince those of us who are extremely satisfied with the cars that Tesla is building that we are missing some quality issue or to care about your issues in the same way that you do. We voted with our wallets and you get to also. We don't have to agree with one another. I, for one, used to be a huge BMW fanboy -- back when they were legitimately driver's cars. The P3D dumps all over every currently made BMW from a driving standpoint and that matters far more to me than an extra millimeter panel gap here and there -- although as I said in my previous post, BMW also has "panel gap issues" -- that I also wouldn't care much about if they were still actually the Ultimate Driving Machine rather than the Ultimate Marketing Hype.

Reactions: dmurphy
NO pre-delivery prep. Car was FILTHY inside and out. White GLOP in the seams. PLASTIC WRAP still on steering wheel. STICKERS on the seats. Spent $200 after delivery to have it detailed. Within two days after delivery, charge port and on-board charger failed and had to be replaced. Nearest service center is 250 miles away, so repairs as a result of the charge system failure were were inconvenient and lengthy. That was last October. Since then, the car has been fine and we love the driving experience, but the early negative delivery experience coupled with the hardware failures will leave a lasting impression. I had a similar experience in 1970 with an American brand. I drove other brands for the next 30 years. Tesla must fix these problems now or there will be few new and repeat customers in the future, and that would be a tragedy.

NO pre-delivery prep. Car was FILTHY inside and out. White GLOP in the seams. PLASTIC WRAP still on steering wheel. STICKERS on the seats. Spent $200 after delivery to have it detailed. Within two days after delivery, charge port and on-board charger failed and had to be replaced. Nearest service center is 250 miles away, so repairs as a result of the charge system failure were were inconvenient and lengthy. That was last October. Since then, the car has been fine and we love the driving experience, but the early negative delivery experience coupled with the hardware failures will leave a lasting impression. I had a similar experience in 1970 with an American brand. I drove other brands for the next 30 years. Tesla must fix these problems now or there will be few new and repeat customers in the future, and that would be a tragedy.

That is just such a crappy way to deliver a new product. I am sorry you had to deal with that. Your experience is clearly the exception rather than the rule, but there should be ZERO tolerance for delivering a less than perfectly prepped car...

Elon, in the long term service delivery, relationship building with your customers and customer satisfaction with the overall company is what wins...not merely making a car that drives great that’s all electric.

I had two minor chips in the paint below the driver's side rear view mirror - not a big deal but they noted these at delivery and they were taken care of. I hadn't even noticed them, to be honest. I had a panel on the rear driver's side that stuck out from the lower edge of the tail light. They agreed that was excessive, and took care of correcting that too. It looked perfect after fixing. The car has always driven amazingly well - no mechanical issues at all.

My long range got delivered a couple weeks ago...
The steering wheel wouldn't telescope
Autopilot wouldn't calibrate (after 500+ miles)
One of the doors rattled really bad.

Took it in for service - it was there a week. Turns out the door panel was never clipped on properly - easy fix. Autopilot was a software problem that just needed the latest software update, and the steering wheel needed a computer and some motors replaced.

Definitely a bummer, but all seems good now.

Picked up my LR AWD Model 3 9/22/18. Only one issue, not present immediately upon delivery, but came up a month or two later: the frunk latch got stuck closed. Fixed for free under warranty when I brought it in for tire rotation. That’s it.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
When I took delivery of my RWD LR 3 just over a year ago, it looked perfect to me. I saw no "panel gap" issues. When I moved here I had the car shipped over, and when it arrived a lady at the shipper walked out to the car with me and we inspected it together (for possible damage during shipping). Other than being filthy, which was expected, it looked perfect to me. As we chatted about Tesla in general, she told me she wouldn't buy a Tesla because of the terrible fit of the panels. She pointed out to me where some panel gaps were larger than others.

I could see the differences she was showing me, and you know what? It still looked perfect to me. Yes, the gaps between panels are not exactly uniform. But none are too big or too small. IMO, that is. I told her that, yes, I could see what she was pointing to. And then I told her about charging the car with free solar power rather than burning the environmental disaster that is gasoline. I told her about zero to sixty in just over 5 seconds with no shifting. I told her about having the industry's most advanced autopilot (admittedly a misnomer, but an amazing feature). I told her about the five star safety rating in every category. And then I told her that I really didn't care at all if the variation in panel gap width was greater than it is in some other car. I also told her about the issues around the phone-as-key and my opinion that the glass roof was a bad idea, and that I had to pay for the upgraded interior that I didn't want (though I like it now) but had to pay for to get the car when I did, and that if I'd known I was going to move here I would not have gotten the long-range battery.

So, all-in-all, the panels on my car are perfect. Not precisely uniform, but perfect nonetheless.

Reactions: SammichLover

How did you get it to the service centre? I guess it was near full charge when it broke, kinda lucky.

MP3+ delivered on 9/22/2018 at Hawthorn Design Studio, perfect. When we took delivery, there were five MP3+ lined up in front, all red with white interior. I think Elon must have done QC because after 8-months, still perfect. Also, my MX 100D (also red) was delivered 9/27/2017 also in perfect condition and still perfect going on 2-years. Tesla is 2 for 2 with zero repairs. My three Mercedes Benz S class vehicles I owned before switching to Tesla had paint issues at delivery, one died on the freeway after only six months, one had a rattle in the heads up display that MB could never fix and my last one was in service for over 17-days for the first 18-months of ownership. Tesla quality and service is the best I have ever had from any manufacturer.

3D delivered Aug 18. Lots of mostly minor issues at delivery. Should have rejected but in August you were just happy to get all the way to pick up and the car actually be there... They promised to repair to satisfaction. Caused tons more damage 'fixing' the car. I am sure they have well over 10k in mess ups and fixes. Asked them to buy it back and they told me to kick rocks. Actually they told me they would give me half of what I paid for it a few months ago on a trade in for another Tesla. Still love the cars, not in love with company service/operations.

I had two minor chips in the paint below the driver's side rear view mirror - not a big deal but they noted these at delivery and they were taken care of. I hadn't even noticed them, to be honest. I had a panel on the rear driver's side that stuck out from the lower edge of the tail light. They agreed that was excessive, and took care of correcting that too. It looked perfect after fixing. The car has always driven amazingly well - no mechanical issues at all.

I'm scheduled to take delivery early next week and can't wait! I don't want to follow that absurdly long inspection list that was part of the article posted earlier in the thread. How did you approach the delivery process? How long did you take?

Nearly flawless. One scratch on steering wheel cover that happened during shipping I assume and was pointed out to me by the delivery team. Paint was great, no other issues. August Delivery.

I would bet everything I own/would ever own that the 11 votes stating their car was inspected by Elon/and whatever the second poll choice is (basically everyone who says their car was delivered perfect) -- stopped looking before even seeing the vehicle.

And it is those people/and people with that attitude who are to blame for all the QC issues we still see today.....thanks guys!
If an owner doesn't notice it...is it a problem? Beyond that, drive a car for a month and the imperfections will dwarf anything you find at delivery. (if you are talking about going over the car with a magnifying glass)

Last edited:
No issues at all during delivery. Heck, I even got a decent amount of time with the Tesla rep (but that was before they seriously reigned in the amount of time they could spend per customer). Even after delivery, I could not find any flaws with gaps, paint flaws or anything.

Tesla must fix these problems now or there will be few new and repeat customers in the future, and that would be a tragedy.
The good news is that your particular experience seems relatively uncommon, but yeah that's not even close to acceptable that you had that happen. Someone seriously screwed up at whatever delivery center/SC you got your vehicle through. :( That's beyond QC, that's just....ug.